INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto import - yes, auto audio analyze - how ?  (Read 2572 times)

Berg

• Recent member
Auto import - yes, auto audio analyze - how ?
« on: September 01, 2007, 02:08:11 pm »

Hello,

I am refining my use of MC and it keeps getting better.

I started using the library auto-import feature, which is great. But I also had MC analyze my entire library of 41000+ tracks to use replay gain, which is another great feature. The only problem, is that I have to run the audio analysis manually.

For the question - is there a way to have the audio analysis for replay gain take place automatically once new files are imported in the library ?

Thanks in advance.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Auto import - yes, auto audio analyze - how ?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 03:51:45 am »

The short answer is "No".

If you use MC for ripping cds, you can set the ripped tracks to be analysed during ripping, but that's as good as it gets for now.

Berg

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 10:03:08 am »

The short answer is "No".

If you use MC for ripping cds, you can set the ripped tracks to be analysed during ripping, but that's as good as it gets for now.

:(

Thanks for your reply.

Has this been mentioned as a feature request before ? Should I start a campaign ....  :P

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 11:51:31 am »

So long as its optional then it's fine. AA can suck up resources otherwise.

Would a smartlist that picked up tracks in need of AA suffice ?

Berg

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 09:05:44 pm »

So long as its optional then it's fine. AA can suck up resources otherwise.

Would a smartlist that picked up tracks in need of AA suffice ?

Ooops, where have I been ? <grin>

I think the smartlist is already there. That's what I'm using. Auto AA would be nice though.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 09:18:31 pm »

This was mentioned on the testing board as well.

It's probably a good idea.  We're a little scared of adding things to auto-import that could use too much CPU, but as long as it is opt-in, it'd be alright.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 05:18:57 pm »

Matt, small point, pretty sure that you've already thought of it, but I'll throw it in anyway-
Would the audio analyse process be run before the file is actually added to the library (This is what adding it to auto-import seems to suggesst), or would you run it in a separate thread entirely- I sometimes drop another folder containing 1000+ files into the auto-import zone, and its better if I can start tagging right away, rather than waiting for them to be completely analysed before being added into the libary.
Almost calls for a paralell process to auto-import (Auto analyse  ;D )

-Leezer-

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 06:15:56 pm »

Matt, small point, pretty sure that you've already thought of it, but I'll throw it in anyway-
Would the audio analyse process be run before the file is actually added to the library (This is what adding it to auto-import seems to suggesst), or would you run it in a separate thread entirely- I sometimes drop another folder containing 1000+ files into the auto-import zone, and its better if I can start tagging right away, rather than waiting for them to be completely analysed before being added into the libary.
Almost calls for a paralell process to auto-import (Auto analyse  ;D )

-Leezer-

Good point.

It would run after import (like the optional building thumbnails does now) so the files would be there.  But auto-import won't see new disk changes until the current auto-import job finishes.  This would complicate that a bit.

Another approach would be to make it work like Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Build Missing Thumbnails...  You have to start it manually, but it runs in the background nicely after that.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 07:01:12 pm »

FWIW, I'd say that neither of those options is 100% what I'd personally consider to be perfect ;)
This is how I'd do it:
1. Auto import detects new files- They are added to the DB, I assume that if the file path etc. is altered as part of this or a subsequent action, then MC should be 'smart' enough to cope. No input from audio analysis at this point.
2. Completion of the auto import of these files spawns thread #2 (Same principle as the current thread used for video thumbnailing)- This is entirely separate from auto-import; Auto-import just feeds it the files its just added to the DB. Any new files added via auto-import while this thread is still running should be able to be added to the tasklist.
3. This thread runs in the background analysing the audio, and should require no user interaction, but be visible if so desired by the user.
4. When the analysis of the files completes, the thread should close itself, but leave a report somewhere (Extension of the existing audio analysis dialog?)

Obviously, I don't know how you've built MC, and my knowledge of this advanced level programming is sketchy at best, but as such MC is very database driven, and I see no real reason that there shouldn't be another thread accessing and altering the information in the DB, so long as everything is kept separate and under control.

Both of your options would (IMHO) drop the usability of this function & auto-import combined, as it either requires user interaction, defeating the point of 'auto', or it slows the adding of new files to the DB, which while not critical could be confusing & annoying.

-Leezer-

Berg

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 09:28:48 am »

I would be happy with the option of running audio analyze after an auto-import. Thanks.

I would also like to see this option on imported podcasts. I am starting to use podcasts more and more, and would like to have the replay gain set for podcasts as well.

I used search and found a couple of other threads on the topic back in 2006 but no resolution.

I am working on creating a "morning" playlist that would play some music along with a couple of news podcasts, etc. as part of my morning routine. Sort of creating my own morning show  ;)

Having podcasts also replay gained would make sure that the volume between music tracks and the couple of podcasts is consistent. In the morning, I don't want anything to make me more grumpy  :P

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 10:01:49 am »

We're a little scared of adding things to auto-import that could use too much CPU, but as long as it is opt-in, it'd be alright.

One thing I've been thinking about lately is that it'd be nice if MC could detect when it is sitting idle, and schedule stuff like this (analyzing audio, generating thumbnails, downloading podcasts, etc) then rather than when you're actively using it.

For example, I often leave MC running but doing nothing (or not much -- just playing music) for hours at a time.  Windows can tell that I haven't touched my machine in a while, and can do things like enable screensavers, turn off devices, run virus scans at higher priority, etc.

MC doesn't seem to care though.  If it decides that it's time to generate Thumbs, it doesn't care if I'm just playing some songs (or if it is sitting completely idle -- which I do now more often that I'm using Podcasts) compared to when I'm actively using the system and tagging files and doing all kinds of other stuff.  This is somewhat frustrating.  I wish it would "lay off" a bit when I'm trying to actively use it, and "go to town" more when I'm not.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

thurston

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 11:46:54 am »

I am refining my use of MC and it keeps getting better.
Same here! Thanks for mentioning this feature, I was just recently thinking of searching for something like it.  According to the help article it looks like it's very easy to set up.  If this were available as an auto-import I option I would certainly use it as well.

Does this work with the sound level of videos, or just audio (music) files?

jnielsen11

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 09:51:21 am »

I too would like to set up a smartlist with no replay gain (Blank). Thus showing me those files that haven't been analyzed. it doesn't accept a blank parameter in the edit smartlist >rules. is there a custom edit rule we could set to have an "analyze' smartlist only those that have no replay gain? ? Thanks. j
JNIELSEN...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 10:18:47 am »

I'm pretty sure they just fixed the comparison against [] bug in a fairly recent build.  Are you using build 400?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jnielsen11

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 11:45:09 am »

Thanks that worked!! ;D
JNIELSEN...
Pages: [1]   Go Up