INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: support for new "classic ipods"?  (Read 3468 times)

markcp

• Recent member
support for new "classic ipods"?
« on: September 09, 2007, 01:03:57 am »

can anyone tell me when MC 12 will support the newest ipods?  i just got my 160gb version and i want to manage it with MC 12 as i did my older one.

thanks

olarte

• World Citizen
Re: support for new "classic ipods"?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 11:54:22 am »

can anyone tell me when MC 12 will support the newest ipods?  i just got my 160gb version and i want to manage it with MC 12 as i did my older one.

thanks

Did you try it yet? I hope it works right of the bat... I don't see why it would not as it's based on the same "OS"....

I hope to pick one up sometime this week at BestBuy... by the way where did you get your's so soon?

markcp

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 01:33:22 pm »

i have tried it with the latest MC 12 patch.  did not work, and the OS is different.  itunes shows it as ver 1.0.

i got mine at the apple store.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 03:49:58 pm »

i have tried it with the latest MC 12 patch.  did not work, and the OS is different.  itunes shows it as ver 1.0.

i got mine at the apple store.

!@#!@#  I was hoping this would not be the case, as it's not based on the Mac OS....

Can you guys from JRiver confirm this either way, and chime in on when we can expect support.

I plan on getting mine this week, and hate to have to load Itunes which I hate with  a passion!

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 03:56:39 pm »

i have no idea about i-pods. but you guys might want to check this thread. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36033.0

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 03:57:14 pm »

Glad I read this thread before running out and buying one.  I've been dreaming of being able to put my entire library on a portable deivce (ape -> mp3) - guess I'll have to wait.

M
THAT's what I'm talking about.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 04:08:11 pm »

i have no idea about i-pods. but you guys might want to check this thread. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36033.0

Hopefully this is all that's needed a correct mapping of the device so MC can recognize the new models of the classic.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 04:58:27 pm »

We hope to add support this week.  We'll know more for sure in a couple days.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 01:06:36 pm »

Hi Matt, please see my other post in the Ipod section. the new PDT file does not recognize my Ipod classic. YMX black 160gb.

And from what I hear even when it does, it "wipes out" the Ipod database (headers?)

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 05:22:20 pm »

There's a bit of a fuss in the news about purported changes to the database in the new iPods that breaks all third party access. Random example: http://ipodminusitunes.blogspot.com/2007/09/apple-cuts-us-off.html  It makes it sound as if MC won't be able to talk to the new iPods.

This strikes me as a fairly terrifying possibility. Keep us posted about whether you'll be able to continue to support iPods!

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 05:27:44 pm »

We hope to add support this week.  We'll know more for sure in a couple days.

Thanks for the heads-up. I know a number of us are really looking forward to it.

thanks,
Osho

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 08:12:28 pm »

Absolute worse case scenario will be that we will continue to us MC to manage our media libraries, and use ITunes to copy music to the Ipods and nothing else.

That's what I'm doing now, and I personally refuse to use it for anything else including podcasts etc... specially to buy ANY media from the itunes store.

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 03:31:54 am »

There's a bit of a fuss in the news about purported changes to the database in the new iPods that breaks all third party access. Random example: http://ipodminusitunes.blogspot.com/2007/09/apple-cuts-us-off.html  It makes it sound as if MC won't be able to talk to the new iPods.

This strikes me as a fairly terrifying possibility. Keep us posted about whether you'll be able to continue to support iPods!

lol, I see troubles ahead.

tn1
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 04:46:39 am »

Absolute worse case scenario will be that we will continue to us MC to manage our media libraries, and use ITunes to copy music to the Ipods and nothing else.

The problem is that for a lot of people, this is not an insignificant situation -- this could actually be a pretty bad scenario.  I know that it may sound like a small issue to some, but having to use multiple programs for this task is the sort of thing that could really wear people down after a little while.  There are also potential issues with using MC to manage and itunes to sync, such as the fact that tags stored in the MC library (and not in the files themselves, which is the case with all Audible files) may not be easily transferable to itunes.  The end result could be a less than "easy" process, and my fear is that the less "loyal" MC users who use iPods might start thinking about just giving in and using iTunes, which already offers some unique features like being able to make ordinary mp3's "bookmarkable" (as far as I know, this is not yet possible with MC.)

This wouldn't be so much of an issue if the iPod wasn't so popular, but iPods are by far the most common mp3 player, and this is a key element for a lot of people.  I'll personally continue to use MC regardless of what happens, but I'm not sure how the "general public" ipod user will react.

Hopefully we'll know whether MC support for the iPod Classic is a possibility or not relatively soon.

Thanks for any further information on this,

Larry

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 08:11:34 am »

This thread reminds me of those smartly dressed jehovah's witnesses who turn up professing (very politely) the imminent end of the world.

I have faith that it won't take long to crack whatever dumb protection these new iPod's have. Then we can all sleep soundly again.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 08:53:49 am »

This thread reminds me of those smartly dressed jehovah's witnesses who turn up professing (very politely) the imminent end of the world.

I have faith that it won't take long to crack whatever dumb protection these new iPod's have. Then we can all sleep soundly again.

True, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed... all I'm saying is that even if we are forced to do itunes to PUT music in the ipods, MC is still king when it comes to media management and it will stay that way at least in my house.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 10:12:59 am »

Not so sure that this change is for protecting the data on the ipod.  Because the music files are still in the clear and very easy to just copy off the ipod.  My thought is that they use this signature as a way to verify the library database is intact and valid.  I doubt they did it to prevent 3rd parties because if they did this is not the best way to do it and I do not see it long before someone figures out the hash because if a seed is used in the hash it has to be on the the ipod itself somewhere and can not be kept a secret.  Worst case the seed is hardcoded in the hardware in which case every ipod uses the same seed which makes it somewhat easier to figure out.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 10:30:24 am »

There are also potential issues with using MC to manage and itunes to sync, such as the fact that tags stored in the MC library (and not in the files themselves, which is the case with all Audible files) may not be easily transferable to itunes.  The end result could be a less than "easy" process,

Hi Larry,

This is a gross understatement. I am going crazy with this dual approach of "manage with MC, sync with iTunes". I have been trying (for the first time) to use iTunes to sync my music collection and they are vast number of issues with it. Each issue reminded me how wonderful MC12 is :).

• iTunes does not support FLAC and many other formats. My 70% of collection is in FLAC. No, I do not want to convert it into ALAC. Considering what Apple did with the new iPods, I will never trust my music in a proprietory format owned by Apple.
  • Compilation support. The Multiple Artists support in MC12 is really really nice. I never realized it until I discovered to my horror that I would have to tag each individual file as being part of a compilation in iTunes manually (which requires a 5-click process including bringing up a new window). Maybe, there is an easier way to do it but I couldn't figure it out. MC12 "just does this".
  • No control over how the files are copied to iPod. Aarrggh..
  • Some tags that are not embedded in the audio files by MC (for whatever reason). Keeping these synched up between iTUnes library and MC12 library is turning out a nightmare for me.
  • No play count updates to MC12 library possible.

I am really beginning to hate Apple for such a closed platform. They are becoming worse than Microsoft.

Osho

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 11:20:10 am »

Please see this thread for current status:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42571.0

In general, things are working pretty well for classic and nano.  Perfect will come in a few builds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up