INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Status of new iPod "Classic" and MC12.  (Read 2716 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Status of new iPod "Classic" and MC12.
« on: September 11, 2007, 04:27:29 am »

I posted this question in another thread, but it seems like it calls for it's own thread since I believe this question will be asked more and more in the coming weeks/months.

Does anybody have an specific information on the status of "iPod Classic" support in MC12?  Somebody reported that MC11 couldn't recognize the new iPod Classic, but what about MC12?  Now that these new iPods are available, has anybody had a chance to confirm whether or not MC12 can be used to sync it, and if so, if there are any features that are causing problems?

On a relalted note, if the new iPod Classic is NOT currently supported by MC12, what would the process be for using MC12 for organizing/managing syncing smartlists, but using iTunes to actually do the sync?  I'm curious what the specifics would be (exporting/importing etc.) that would result in ALL the tags in MC being transferred over to the iPod after the iTunes sync, INCLUDING those tags that are ONLY saved in the MC library and NOT in the actual files themselves.

Thanks for any information on this,

Larry

lOth

Re: Status of new iPod "Classic" and MC12.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:57:28 am »

to sort of answer the first part of your question MC12 doesn't recognize the nano g3.

Your iPod could not be properly identified.

Please check ofr an updated version of Media Center.

iPod type: 'YM736BY9YXX', ", 1452, 4706

I would assume it's the same (with a different serial number) for the iPod classic.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 08:46:41 am »

As i patiently wait for MC support, this is what I have done.

First I had to go back to my old technique of transcoding ALL of my FLAC to mp3 so that itunes could see it. (had an old script that I wrote).  Then just let itunes load the music.  Most of my album art is non-existent because the perl module for mp3 support is lacking on adding album art and itunes is poor at finding it.  Non of my ratings or playlist exist.  I created a few playlists in itunes and just resorting to my pre-MC days.

Kinda reminds me why I like MC so much and will probably pay for the upgrade to MC12 once a patch is out even though I have no need for the added features in MC12.

Doody

• Recent member
ETA?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 03:32:09 pm »

what's been the historic time lag for MC support of new iPods? that is, the order of magnitude - days, weeks, months, years?

i'm seriously considering a new classic 80, but no way i'm wasting my energy running that POS iTunes.

thx,
doody

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: ETA?
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 04:13:37 pm »

what's been the historic time lag for MC support of new iPods? that is, the order of magnitude - days, weeks, months, years?

i'm seriously considering a new classic 80, but no way i'm wasting my energy running that POS iTunes.

thx,
doody

Just to answer the initial question in this thread, Jim from JR posted in another thread that the iPod Classic is in fact not yet supported by MC12.

On a related note, is this something that's being actively pursued by JR at this time, and if so, is there any guess as to whether or not this is something that may be coming relatively soon?  Like doody, I'm considering a new iPod purchase, but I'm not happy about the idea of having to use iTunes.  I have no idea what the likelihood for iPod Classic support in MC is, or what the time frame might be, so I'm looking for ANY information along these lines even it's admittedly vague.  Is this mainly just "on the list" for future development at JR, or is it an "active" issue at this time?

Thanks again,

Larry

lOth

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 04:33:23 pm »

I hate iTunes too but this new nano is worth the pain.

But still, JRiver, don't wait too long to deliver us from evil.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 11:04:53 pm »

First I had to go back to my old technique of transcoding ALL of my FLAC to mp3 so that itunes could see it. (had an old script that I wrote).  Then just let itunes load the music.  Most of my album art is non-existent because the perl module for mp3 support is lacking on adding album art and itunes is poor at finding it.  Non of my ratings or playlist exist.  I created a few playlists in itunes and just resorting to my pre-MC days.

Why don't you have cover art?  Why are you using a script?  Just sync your FLAC to a folder with MP3 encoding.  If you have cover art it should be added to the mp3 files.  It works for me!  Then I simply import the folder into iTunes and sync.

I don't really have a good "sync" setup with MC and iTunes because iTunes doesn't seem to have an auto-import feature.  I just sync it and am satisfied for a while.  This is usually okay because I tend to buy CDs in bulk every month or two so syncing is not vital--although I often rate more songs and therefore find new ones that need to sync.

Anyway, this works for me and I get all cover art!

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 05:12:34 am »

I am using a script because that is what I did BEFORE MC, and I do not have cover art in my mp3s afterwards because the perl libraries for handling mp3 tags does not do album art properly and trashes the mp3 9 times out of 10.

However your idea to use MC to sync to a folder for itunes is much much better idea.  thanks for the suggestion.  Guess it will be two days by the time it is done ;)

bp1219

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:47:36 am »

Can you add the new iPod classic manually?
It did not work when I tried.
I am bummed about no support yet for the New Classic iPod.
Not easy using iTunes after using MC 12. iTunes is the absolute worse.
How can Apple make such a great piece of hardware and such a terrible media managemnt tool? Who cares if it is free, it still sucks!
Real Player and Yahoo Jukebox don't work with the new iPod Classic either.

m1abrams

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 07:07:13 am »

Can you add the new iPod classic manually?
It did not work when I tried.
I am bummed about no support yet for the New Classic iPod.
Not easy using iTunes after using MC 12. iTunes is the absolute worse.
How can Apple make such a great piece of hardware and such a terrible media managemnt tool? Who cares if it is free, it still sucks!
Real Player and Yahoo Jukebox don't work with the new iPod Classic either.

How quickly can you expect them to react.  JRiver did not have the devices or specs or api to work with any sooner than you could get the device.  They need time to implement and test it.  The new devices where only announced a week ago, and where not available to buy until about last friday.

Unlike other tech items where 3rd parties are given samples and betas devices to test and work their software with, Apple does NOT do this and really does not like people using anything but iTunes with their players.  They don't seem to actively prevent 3rd parties but I am sure they would rather have you use iTunes.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 07:08:16 am »

No.  There's no way to add it manually.  We're working on it.

abd4evr

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 12:51:43 am »

Still waiting as of 12/26/07...  I'm adding my info to the "help us identify" thread

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 08:08:39 am »

The iPod classic should be recognized with recent builds of MC12.0.  What do you have?

Lossless Dave

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 10:02:49 am »

I have a Classic 160 - it is recognised and sync'ed correctly.

I do find however that trying to manually manage a partially sync'ed iPod with more partial uploads (ie full manual control) is very non-intuative and click intensive.

Cheers

Lossless Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up