INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Tag Import using XML or CSV - or via API call?  (Read 1217 times)

sle118

• Junior Woodchuck
Video Tag Import using XML or CSV - or via API call?
« on: September 11, 2007, 09:50:59 am »

Hello all,

After doing a bit of research, I could not find a response to the following.

My video library has several hundred files recorded from TV shows over the years, sitting in a dedicated computer running Media Center 12 as a media server. They are all documented (episode title, description, etc) in an XML file from data automatically gathered in TV listing web sites at the moment of recording.

I am looking for a way to import the tags in MC 12 automatically. I could reformat the data in CSV if required, call custom APIs or use HTTP method calls to library if such thing is possible (how is a media server controlled by the clients?).

Thank you

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Video Tag Import using XML or CSV - or via API call?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 10:46:07 pm »

Explore File > Export / Import Playlist using the MPL (XML) format.

You can export info for a bunch of files, edit XML by hand (or with a tool / script), then reimport the playlist to update metadata.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sle118

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 06:22:45 am »

Explore File > Export / Import Playlist using the MPL (XML) format.

You can export info for a bunch of files, edit XML by hand (or with a tool / script), then reimport the playlist to update metadata.

This is exactly what I was looking for!  Fantastic!

Now if there would be a way to trigger the export and the import from a script, it would be even better since the library would be updated as soon as new shows are recorded.

Thank you !

gappie

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 08:07:56 am »

there is something i do not understand.
when i open an old library and export my videoos to mpl. then i open and new empty library and import the mpl. that should import all the stuff ive exported first, shouldnt it? because it does not for me.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 09:11:51 am »

there is something i do not understand.
when i open an old library and export my videoos to mpl. then i open and new empty library and import the mpl. that should import all the stuff ive exported first, shouldnt it? because it does not for me.

ok, apparently the files must be there. so not on an unattached network drive.

one problem remains. it does not take over what is under image file. also not after reimporting the mpl.

edit: ah well. got that solved also. i edited the imagefiles link by copying from notepad to word, just copy and paste, and then back to notepad. but word in its wisdom changed the quotes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up