INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 messes up Internet Explorer on XP SP2  (Read 3935 times)

jessenov

MC12 messes up Internet Explorer on XP SP2
« on: September 20, 2007, 08:21:12 pm »

I downloaded JRiver on 09/19, installed it, OK'd rebooting Windows at the end. Right after that, attempt to open any web site results in IE opening second window, blank as first one, and switching between them. You can kill both these IE windows from Task Manager only, they do not respond.

I made sure there are no viruses, and I'm certain JRiver is the reason - I restored system after it happened first time, made sure IE works, and repeated installation - the same fiasco. Right now using FireFox, which works fine.

I know Vista is probably cure, but still...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC12 messes up Internet Explorer on XP SP2
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:27:45 pm »

Hard to believe.  Sorry.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 04:50:51 am »

i use xp sp2 with ie6 and ie7 with no issues.
R
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 06:08:11 am »

i use xp sp2 with ie6 and ie7 with no issues.
R

same here
. . . the game is rigged

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 06:54:49 am »

Got 3 machines (2 XP/1 Vista) here all with MC and IE's working fine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 10:31:46 am »

I have a huge pile of machines with MC12 and XP SP2 (both with IE6 and IE7)... Definitely never seen such a thing.  My guess is that something else is going on.

I'd strongly recommend a spyware scan using a good scanner (such as Spybot Search & Destroy).  It is quite likely a rogue toolbar that is causing it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 10:32:22 am »

We've seen more than a few of these strange posts from first timers who don't post again.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 10:44:22 am »

first timers who don't post again

Possibly because out of six replies only one attempts to help the poster in any way?

The problem might not be JR's but so what, the poster is a customer and this is the *support* forum.

Just my 2p.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 10:50:03 am »

It's pretty hard to help someone who has a problem we've never seen and sounds so unlikely.

What do we say?  It could be your OS.   It could be your hardware.  It's definitely not MC.

I believe it's a troll.  I could be wrong.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 10:53:34 am »

It could be your OS.   It could be your hardware.  It's definitely not MC

That would be a start  ;D

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 11:01:40 am »

a g/f of mine was in a chatroom. a guy asked her if she wanted a pic   ::)
so she made light of it and said: "only if it's is a pic of your credit card, LOL''

next she knows she is offline! Boooted!
Browsers no longer work, fail to connect to any websire, even when inside my network trying to acces my router. Yet she showed up on my network and file sharing still works, just no browser.

Checked the obvious, then reformatted and did a full reinstall. It was definately worth the time and effort as we have no idea what other 'gifts' he may have left for us besides the browser being bork'd.

Anyway, you might want to look towards other possible causes. Strange things do occur.
. . . the game is rigged

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 11:06:36 am »

a g/f of mine was in a chatroom.

How many girlfriends do you have?? You dog.  ;D

I noticed I had odd socks on before, and it happened right after I installed the latest MC. I'm sure this has never happened before. If you guys don't sort it out super quick I'm taking my bat and ball and going home.

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 11:10:09 am »

I noticed I had odd socks on before, and it happened right after I installed the latest MC. I'm sure this has never happened before. If you guys don't sort it out super quick I'm taking my bat and ball and going home.

I haven't laughed so hard in a week!  ;D

...Michel.

jessenov

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 09:35:32 pm »

It's pretty hard to help someone who has a problem we've never seen and sounds so unlikely.

What do we say?  It could be your OS.   It could be your hardware.  It's definitely not MC.

I believe it's a troll.  I could be wrong.

I find it interesting that the only person suspecting trolling is moderator of this forum.

I described a problem, which is real - what else am I supposed to do? I realize that this is rare situation and do not insist on help, it's not question of life and death. JRiver is not the only player, and IE - not the only browser, as I said I'm using FireFox while evaluating MC12.

That being said - stuff like "It's definitely not MC" is simply childish, I can't believe a person even remotely familiar with software development can say something like this.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 09:57:33 pm »

Throw IE in the trash.  I haven't used IE by choice at home in over a year.  It is junk.  Once you get used to Firefox, you won't notice much difference.  I was hesitant to switch to Firefox from IE for a while because I was so used to IE.  Once I switched, I am now more used to Firefox and prefer it much over IE.

That is your best bet.

Plus, most people agree you are more likely to get viruses or spyware using Internet Explorer because it supports more advanced but dangerous systems.  So since you use IE, you probably have junk on your computer.  Running a check means nothing.  Of 10 different scanners, they will each find a different subset of all the viruses.

hottuna

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 03:22:26 am »

I had some incredibly unstable streaming radio last night that manifested itself by hanging both IE and Firefox, the latter consumed all my system resources whenever I accessed http://www.ckac.com/radioflash/radioplayer.php from two PC's that I have MC installed on. IE7 and XP2 on both PC's by the way.

I had just upgraded to MC 329 on both PC's prior to the problem (my cat was uncharacteristically friendly immediately after I upgraded by the way, but I digress) and I am able to access the link on another MC-less PC using IE and Firefox without any issues... during this hang time I noticed the 2nd window behavior described above, but for the life of me I can't reproduce the problem.  Who knows what the problem is, something to do with Windows Media Player I suspect, piece of crap that it is.

Other radio stations work fine.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 03:52:25 am »

I downloaded JRiver on 09/19, installed it, OK'd rebooting Windows at the end. Right after that, attempt to open any web site results in IE opening second window, blank as first one, and switching between them. You can kill both these IE windows from Task Manager only, they do not respond.

Rather than complete a System Restore, I assume you have tried just uninstalling MC to see if the IE problem goes away (which I do doubt)

I know Vista is probably cure, but still...

I seriously doubt Vista is a cure to much yet. Pre SP1 most people are rightly avoiding it.
It's a nicer looking OS but that can't beat the maturity of XPSP2 at this point IMAO.

Rich
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 05:03:09 am »

I find it interesting that the only person suspecting trolling is moderator of this forum.

If you don't want to be suspected of trolling, try to adopt a different tone with your posts. Presenting the "MC messes up my system" as fact without any real evidence makes most people's eyes roll immediately.

As for your problem - I'd recommend reinstalling your OS. Clears up all the rubbish that's accumulated over the months/years, and you'll probably see a considerable improvement in performance. Then once you're at a point where you're happy with the OS and apps installed, use Norton Ghost or similar to make an image of your drive so you don't have to do it again.

That being said - stuff like "It's definitely not MC" is simply childish, I can't believe a person even remotely familiar with software development can say something like this.

Yeah, nobody could accuse a software developer of being childish. It's just not in their nature. ;)

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 11:26:23 am »

Funny thing just happened...

After reading this thread, I decide to install Firefox. Works like a charm, except now MC can't play any music. It tell me that it can't find the files (The little red X over a yellow star icon replaces the album art in the lower right hand section of MC).

If I go in Windows Explorer and double click a song, MC gets fired up and play the song...

Any ideas?

(Not joking BTW...)

...Michel.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 11:30:36 am »

I have no idea whether the original thread starter's problem is related to MC12 or not. But, weirder things have happenned with me. In my case, my microwave crashed MC12!

So, I at least would give benefit of doubt to the original poster :).

Osho

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 12:00:12 pm »

I rebooted and came back to find the sound card driver was not installed any longer.

perhaps this build is haunted   :o
. . . the game is rigged

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 02:38:16 pm »

(Not joking BTW...)

Are you pulling my chicken drumsticks? Shame on you...

If not, has something happened whereby possibly a drive letter has changed from (for example) E: to F:? I've had that happen before for some inexplicable reason. Could be your CD/DVD drive went off-line while windows was apportioning logical drives.

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 04:11:35 pm »

Are you pulling my chicken drumsticks? Shame on you...

If not, has something happened whereby possibly a drive letter has changed from (for example) E: to F:? I've had that happen before for some inexplicable reason. Could be your CD/DVD drive went off-line while windows was apportioning logical drives.

That's exactly what happened! After pulling some hair, I decided to take an hour away from the beast to cool down... When I came back, I checked my drive letters and sure enough, they had changed... I have my music on 2 external drives (D: & E:). The DVD burner took over D: and the externals went to E: and F:... Wonder what caused that....

Life is now good with music filling the house once again...

I'm going to try re-installing Firefox and see...

...Michel.

benn600

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 04:20:05 pm »

Funny thing just happened...

After reading this thread, I decide to install Firefox. Works like a charm, except now MC can't play any music. It tell me that it can't find the files (The little red X over a yellow star icon replaces the album art in the lower right hand section of MC).

Yea, real funny.  How long have the tears been streaming?

That's exactly what happened! After pulling some hair, I decided to take an hour away from the beast to cool down... When I came back, I checked my drive letters and sure enough, they had changed... I have my music on 2 external drives (D: & E:). The DVD burner took over D: and the externals went to E: and F:... Wonder what caused that....

Life is now good with music filling the house once again...

I'm going to try re-installing Firefox and see...

If you use an external drive for your music -- which I can't understand, lol -- I would suggest going to the Management console and changing your external drive letter to something such as X.  Something way down the list.  That way, when you plug the drive in, it will use that previously set letter.  If it doesn't store a "set" letter, it just assigns them automatically in order and they can easily change.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 04:30:06 pm »

Firefox Screws things up, I stay Away From It Like A Plague
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 05:47:32 pm »

If you use an external drive for your music -- which I can't understand, lol

Quite simple really, you use up your internal storage, so you buy and use external storage. Q.E.D.

As for Firefox, never had any problems with it. Nor IE, or even Opera. MC works alongside it all, whether in XP or Vista, in my experience.

benn600

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 06:29:17 pm »

I guess I shouldn't talk.  I technically am using storage external to my desktop.  Literally everything data wise goes on my server.  My C drive is usually small and empty.  I only use the extra space for backups.
Pages: [1]   Go Up