INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems updating to 12.0.301  (Read 1302 times)

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
Problems updating to 12.0.301
« on: August 20, 2007, 06:14:08 pm »

I've been running MC12 since the beta with no troubles.  Today I decided to download the latest update, and upon attempting to install it, got the following message:

Windows Media Format Setup failed.  Error Code 0xc00d2b00
Installation is blocked because your computer does not meet one or more of the setup requirements.  Please visit Windows Update to download the appropriate updates from Microsoft before installing WMF.

That error code comes up with zero results on this site and on microsoft.com, so I don't know what updates I need to install.

MC12 won't start at all now. Any time I try to start MC12, I get the error message, "Media Center has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."  I get the same message if I try to uninstall MC12.  Rebooting has no effect.

I'm running a legal copy of Windows XP MCE.  Any suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems updating to 12.0.301
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 06:22:36 pm »

I think the failure was on installation of Windows Media (not Windows Media Player).  You can probably install it from the Microsoft site.  I looked but couldn't find it right away.  You could start here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/default.mspx

User permissions could also be an issue.  Log in as administrator.

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:01:19 pm »

I can't find the WMF updates I need, but I was able to get MC reinstalled now.  I rarely use any MS codecs, so I'll just plug along with this setup until I run into a problem and then revisit the issue.  Thanks.

dengle

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 11:25:56 am »

I am trying to update my Windows Media Center 2004 machine with JR Media Center 12.0.318.  I get a failure to install Windows Media Format error.  After some investigation, it turns out that there is a minimum OS for Windows Media Center of 2005 SP2 for the installation of Windows Media Format.  This also applies to Windows Media Player 11 for that OS.  That is curious since Windows Media Center 2004 is basically Windows XP Professional with SP2 and includes the Microsoft Media Center application.  Both Windows Media Format and Windows Media Player 11 install fine on Windows XP Pro with SP2.

I went ahead and installed JR Media Center 12.0.318 in spite of the error and it does seem to work fine.  What is the purpose of the Windows Media Format download?  Will it cause any problems in the future that I cannot install it?  I can upgrade to Windows Media Center 2005 with SP2, but I'll have to buy it.  I am considering that now that I know of this issue, but I'm trying to determine what the downside is to just stay where I'm at at this point.  JR Media Center functionality is the only compelling issue for me as I'm fine with staying with Windows Media Player 10.  Because of JR Media Center I rarely use Windows Media Player anyway.

Can you help me with some information around JR Media Center functionality that might be affected by not having the Windows Media Format installed?

Thanks,

Dale Engle

robinbowes

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 12:54:15 pm »

I ran into the same problem (installing JRiver 12.x on XP MCE 2004 - get error code 0xc00d2b00 downloading WMF).

If this is not essential to the operation of JRiver Media Centre then perhaps you should not download it at install time.

R.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 01:20:37 pm »

Before I upgraded my XP with SP2 and WMP11 I used my firewall SW to block the Windows Media install stage because the new codecs would have needed these upgrades installed.

MC12 worked fine even though it couldn't install the newer WM codecs. (I didn't try to encode WMA files.)

In my opinion the installer should check properly if the installed OS version and other components support the newer WM codecs. If that is not possible then it should offer an option to not try to install the package.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up