INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12.0.332 and Ipod Classic -- may be cover art problem still  (Read 4913 times)

olarte

• World Citizen
12.0.332 and Ipod Classic -- may be cover art problem still
« on: September 27, 2007, 06:07:11 pm »

YES YES YES... it looks like Album Covers are working fine and so are "audiobooks" marked as Podcasts.

Initially my covers got scrambled but then I re-initialized the Ipod AGAIN! with MC, and have since gone back and forth synchronizing with MC and even one or two albums with Itunes. So far covers are intact... Only about 20 so far though.

also, If I make an Mp3 a Podcast genre it shows up under Podcasts, and behaves the way it used to with Ipod 5.5g it now saves the book mark although it takes a sec or two to find the bookmark when you return to it.

YOu can also do the alternate method and use Itunes to make it save bookmark and skip when shuffling under any genre you want.

Last of all is Tv shows That I belive you can't do with MC. so I'm using Itunes to manage the TV, and Movies only. I think I will end up with the Itunes library using only that.

Mc does not have an interface to setup the TV Shows which is the only way I can organize you tube, music videos etc... I make these into tv shows with seasons epidodes etc....

ONe more thing, the Coverart does NOT show up on the right when you go to the now playing album it only shows two notes and the name. but  that's just the menu for playing now and I believe it works this way even with only itunes. When you go into the real playing now you get the cover art and song,album, artist info.

Last of all I've used MC"s great editing features to combine Name and Artist, (saved the originals into user fields) for compilations and made the "artist" field generic terms like Soundtrack Compilations, Latin Compilations etc...

hottuna

Re: 12.0.332 and Ipod Classic :) FInally!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 08:10:28 pm »

I sync'd for the first time tonight with MC12 after reading the release notes and this post. I've been using itunes with my 80g classic since I received it and cover art has sync'd perfectly, I don't like itunes for a lot of reasons, but it does work. The cover art for the albums I touched with MC12 are now screwed up on the ipod, no clue how to fix it.   

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:51:02 pm »

I sync'd for the first time tonight with MC12 after reading the release notes and this post. I've been using itunes with my 80g classic since I received it and cover art has sync'd perfectly, I don't like itunes for a lot of reasons, but it does work. The cover art for the albums I touched with MC12 are now screwed up on the ipod, no clue how to fix it.   

As I mentioned above you may need to re-initialize with MC after that it should be ok.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:51:13 pm »

hottuna,
Maybe you missed this.
Initially my covers got scrambled but then I re-initialized the Ipod AGAIN! with MC, and have since gone back and forth synchronizing with MC and even one or two albums with Itunes. So far covers are intact.

hottuna

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 10:53:11 pm »

ok, I figured out how to "initialize my ipod in MC" means.

1. open drives and devices
2. right-click on the ipod
3. select initialize
4. watched as all of the songs I had put on my ipod were removed (5000+) :(
5. started adding songs again...
6. added 10 albums, looked ok
7. noticed that I was missing cover art for a few songs that looked ok in MC
8. added the art in MC (cut & paste from  other songs on the same album)
9. sync'd, everything looked ok
10. didn't like my cover for on one album so I removed it from all songs on the album using MC
11. pasted new art to all songs on the album
12. sync'd, and cover art from two other albums on my ipod showed up on 4/10 songs on the album I just fixed

iTunes was never opened since I reinitialized with MC. Cover art in MC is just not working yet.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 11:48:09 pm »

JimH I guess this was a close call.

All my covers are were working fine as I stated.

Since I made all the compilations have the same artist to fix the compilation\coverflow album, I figured let me have Itunes insert the frame header to mark these files as compilations.

Well I tried it with one cd (thank god) first. and did sync.... well I don't know what Itunes did, but the cover I got on the Ipod was from a different cd.

Thinking I would have re-initialize or go back to Itunes, I figured I'd try one more thing...

I did a update tags from the library for that one CD, then did another sync from MC and the cover showed up fine this time, and the Cd is no longer under compilations (which is ok, until apple fixes the bug).

Anyway it looks like once you go with MC, you really need to stay with it and not go back and forth as it will scramble artwork if Itunes changes the ID tags. (this happened  with the 5g Ipods).

I can still use Itunes for Movies and TV Shows but that's all.

Maybe this can help figure you out  the problem so one can alternate between ITunes and MC. As for instance it would be nice to be able to flag the files as compilations, gapless etc (which MC can't do).

Hope this helps.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 01:21:27 am »

:( Ah man it seems to be touch and go.

I have been syncing albums here and there and from time to time one will show up with the wrong art work. I have to delete it from the Ipod, I try to do a update tags from library and it works most of the time. But then another album will be wrong... so I have to do that one.

For now it's only an album or two but what happens when you start hitting a couple of hundred, and you need to verify they are all correct?

I'm on the fence about continuing to experiment with MC for the Ipod classic at this time.

Don't get me wrong MC rocks for everything else including massive tag udpdates etc. but the cover art thing is still not 100% reliable.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 04:53:10 am »

Well I tried yet another CD this morning and for some reason two particular CDs completely unrelated keep changing to other covers for no reason.

With 55 cds, I'm hesitant to keep going with MC at this point... 

I wish there was a way to rebuild the Covers database on the Ipod itself...

THe biggest problem is how it scrambles albums that were already on the Ipod so you need to go back and see what got broken and fix those. it's a major pain.

olarte

• World Citizen
12.0.332 and Ipod Classic -- may be cover art problem still
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 05:05:57 am »

uhm... the last broken Album cover fixed itself the next time I did a sync with additional albums ,... go figure.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: 12.0.332 and Ipod Classic -- may be cover art problem still
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 06:58:34 am »

We'll look at this today.  Thanks for the reports.  The detail is helpful.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 07:08:43 am »

We'll look at this today.  Thanks for the reports.  The detail is helpful.

Glad to be of help.

I noticed on the way to work that what appeared to be albums that had fixed themselves still had some tracks with the wrong cover... so every 3rd track had two wrong covers and so on.

When I get home I plan to look at the broken album\tracks in Itunes and see if the image is the correct one which would indicate (and I suspect) a database\thumbnail issue between MC and the Ipod.

I also want to try changing an arbitrary tag on the ipod with Itunes and see if that "rescans" the album work field and fixes the pointer.

Other than that I don't know what other workaround there is other than having to resort to using Itunes for Music syncing.

I hate having to use two databases (itunes & MC) against the same files specially since Itunes does not allow you to update from extenal changes to the tags, or too remove broken links.

Let me know if you want me to try anything else out before I resort to going back to Itunes :'(

I guess  I would consider this still a bug witih 12.0.332

One more thing, what if MC could have an option for the Ipods to re-scan the database\tracks on the Ipod and re-index the album covers? that would fix even the broken ones no?

Thanks
Ivan

rjm

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 11:36:40 am »

olarte, just curious, is your cover art imbedded in the mp3 or external?

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 11:45:11 am »

olarte, just curious, is your cover art imbedded in the mp3 or external?

All embedded in each MP3 entered by hand via MC at 300x300

Funny part is Itunes sees the correct picture.

I even tried updating the ID3 tag in Itunes on the Ipod but it does not help

However I did not have to re-initialize, since it was only 3 or 4 albums during testing out of 55, I deleted those and re-synced them with Itunes.

It looks like for now, I'll need to manage my music library in MC. then export whatever i want as a playlist into an exported list, then import that into Itunes.

Although it's taking like 10 minutes to import a playlist of 236 tracks into the 29,000 library I have now setup in Itunes! The CPU barely moves... but it's just slow...

RiderFan

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 12:43:21 pm »

When you go to "Now Playing" in my ipod classic, it still does not show the cover art. I am quite positive that it should.
Does anyone else see this?

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 01:46:33 pm »

When you go to "Now Playing" in my ipod classic, it still does not show the cover art. I am quite positive that it should.
Does anyone else see this?

It does not show up on the "playing now" menu, that shows a doublenote and the name of the track. Once you  hit the center button you should be at the real playing now screen and see the art on the left and the details (except for genre) on the right.

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 01:48:31 pm »

Well I'm handing the testing reins to someone else for a while... I tried everything I can think of, and cannot have a stable ipod with cover art etc if I use MC for syncing at this point.

So as I mentioned, I'm using Itunes stritcly for Syncing and MC for everything else. Oh Well :(

Since I will be filling it up with tunes, I'll have to wait for a complete confirmation that cover art will not get scrambled.

SwellGuy

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 02:04:52 pm »

Playing Now doesn't display artwork in the right pane. This is limited by the firmware and not MC or iTunes.

We're looking into the scrambling artwork issue.

[EDIT] This will be fixed in the 12.0.334 build of MC. (It won't fix the existing scrambled images so you will have to re-initialize or delete all files first.)

hottuna

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 06:45:35 pm »

For the record all my cover art is embedded too.

To anyone who wants to try MC12, see my instructions above on how to initialize the iPod Classic in MC12. If you do initialize it with MC, all of the songs you added using iTunes will be removed from you iPod.

Not to worry, you can reinitialize the iPod using iTunes and restore the library to where it was before you initialized it with MC12.

I was a bit frustrated last night because I thought I may have lost my iTunes library and the 3 weeks it took to load the songs and artwork.  But iTunes restored my iPod to it's previous state after reinitializing in iTunes and synching overnight (5800 songs = ~5 hours).

Hopefully we can all benefit from this post and continue to assist the JRiver folks in resolving this issue.

Pages: [1]   Go Up