INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touch Phone  (Read 1652 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Touch Phone
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:21:31 pm »

Any word on MC supporting the iPhone or iPod Touch?  Both are supposedly similar devices and were released quite a while BEFORE the Classic & new Nano yet they haven't made any progress...I'm curious how you decided to add Classic/Nano support?  Easier?  Or do you see more requests for them?  Isn't the iPod Touch pretty popular?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Touch Phone
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 07:12:14 am »

Any word on MC supporting the iPhone or iPod Touch?  Both are supposedly similar devices and were released quite a while BEFORE the Classic & new Nano yet they haven't made any progress...I'm curious how you decided to add Classic/Nano support?  Easier?  Or do you see more requests for them?  Isn't the iPod Touch pretty popular?
Unlikely at this point.  Apple doesn't want third parties making changes.  Maybe you could let Apple know how you feel.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 08:32:27 am »

I'm curious how you decided to add Classic/Nano support?  Easier?  Or do you see more requests for them?  Isn't the iPod Touch pretty popular?

iPod Touch and iPhone both are very popular. The primary reason why MC12 folks were able to support Classic/Nano was due to the efforts by linux iPod developers - who cracked the hashing mechanism for the database in the Classic/Nano. iPod Touch and iPhone both have completely different hardware design internally which makes it a lot harder to "crack" and hence almost no third party applications work with them.

That said, you can still use MC12 to manage your music and use iTunes to sync them to iPod Touch or iPhone. There are ways to do it without allowing iTunes write access to your media files. I wrote about a couple of different ways of doing this in this forum sometime ago.

Osho

benn600

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:22:20 am »

What if you used a program to capture and record the commands/data being sent to iPhone from iTunes?  Is the stream encrypted?  This isn't like adding another program to iPhone--it's just mimicing iTunes in its weird actions to get music on iPhone.

Cheburashka

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 11:15:28 pm »

That said, you can still use MC12 to manage your music and use iTunes to sync them to iPod Touch or iPhone. There are ways to do it without allowing iTunes write access to your media files. I wrote about a couple of different ways of doing this in this forum sometime ago.

Osho

But, with those methods you're either importing into itunes each time you want to sync, or you're just syncing everything. 

benn600

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 12:50:34 pm »

I'm still hoping they figure it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up