INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vorbis Ogg  (Read 1310 times)

Artzie

• Recent member
  • Computer Tech.Music
Vorbis Ogg
« on: August 15, 2002, 11:39:46 pm »

I have tested Ogg against Wma. Mp3pro. and ogg is an absolute winner so far, it must however be there new codec, itīs variable and it works, in Mj is it possible to convert to ogg, but use the decoder at first.

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
That's right.
I'm cool.

Nick_LeFave

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MJ is the epitome of what a media player should be!
RE:Vorbis Ogg
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2002, 10:41:45 pm »

I too have moved from mp3 to ogg for lossy compression. I am getting good results and recommend it. One thing, can someone point me to where I can get a list of the custom settings? I can't find a list anywhere.

Thanks,
Nick

joe|PLS|mama

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2002, 03:23:35 am »

You can use any quality setting between 0.xx and 10.  In the custom settings for OGG in MJ, enter the command line as -q 5.  Or, for example, if you didn't want to use -q 6 because lossless stereo coupling kicks in at that quality setting and causes a significant jump in the bitrate, you could use -q 5.99.

from the Ogg Vorbis General FAQ:

"For now, quality 0 is roughly equivalent to 64kbps average, 5 is roughly 160kbps, and 10 gives about 400kbps. Most people seeking very-near-CD-quality audio encode at a quality of 5 or, for lossless stereo coupling, 6. The default setting is quality 3, which at approximately 110kbps gives a smaller filesize and significantly better fidelity than .mp3 compression at 128kbps."

zevele

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2002, 03:43:16 am »

KaROLUS 8
Alan!
I understand you use OGG.Did you try higth settings?I mean more than 6?

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2002, 09:15:48 am »

Zevele,
Is that one to me or someone named Alan? At any rate, I don't use OGG. I just knew there was a plug-in for it.

Are you back home, yet? If not, when?
Karolus 8
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2002, 12:41:55 pm »

Back home since last monday evening

Alan or allan or halan-hallan is what we use here to say hello,hey.
Not sure it is hebrew,can be arabic.I will ask to know

I gave a try to OGG and was really surprise by the quality.But do not know remember my settings.

What i would like to know is :at hight quality how is the sound?
Because at 10 level=400kps it may be a good compromise instead of APE who are bigger.

Maybe someone had try it.If not i will try this week
With mp3 ,i do not heard any difference if 192 kps or 392 kps.

Not listening to music.MJ not even yet on my computer.Got it back 2 days ago with a new 30 Maxtor to replace the third[!!!!!]Quatum[?] dead in 15 months,and the IBM 120 installed
I allmost got a new Yamaha cdwriter...but 3 out of the box not working!Got my money back and still with my old HPx4
Since this morning i mess around with load of programs.Found some really good-will tell about them-and some very big s---ts
A clean install is in the air.....

yughi

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2002, 02:10:07 am »

Yes OGG is a winner!

If you compare the sound quality you'll find that OGG keeps the Low and the High sounds very nicely. Things like Trebble and Bass stay very crispy and the files are only a bit larger as mp3.

BUT....it takes the processor considerable more time to play them off. Something to remember!
---
Reality is, eating icecream in the sahara!
Pages: [1]   Go Up