INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: memory leak when ripping?  (Read 1255 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
memory leak when ripping?
« on: October 04, 2007, 02:42:55 am »

MC 12.0.332

I was ripping the 4th in a series of cds with Lame and received an error message from MC that I was out of memory. Task Manager reported that MC was using 900 MB of memory. I clicked ok to acknowledge the MC error and it crashed.

I then restarted MC and observed it was using 137 MB of memory. I ripped another cd and watched MC's memory usage steadily climb to about 325 MB. I did not continue ripping other discs to see if I could reproduce the error but the memory usage continued to climb until I stopped ripping so I assume it is reproducable.

This is the first time I have seen the out of memory error, and the first time I have ripped a cd in secure mode so I wonder if they are related.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: memory leak when ripping
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:48:39 am »

they may need to know what encoder you were using.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:45:06 am »

with Lame

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:47:35 am »

How about plug-ins?  I don't think we have a memory leak in MC.  Anything is possible.

Virus checker?

Try simplifying your PC to test.

rjm

Re: memory leak when ripping?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 11:13:15 am »

The only plug-in I have installed is G-Force. It was not running when I experienced the out of memory error. I did recently install G-Force so I can uninstall it if you think this is the problem.

No other applications (other than IE) were running at the time.

I have gazillions of hours on MC with no memory problems however this was the very first time I had tried Secure rip mode with Lame so it may be the culprit. Also note that I have Analyze Audio during rip turned on.

The problem is very quick and easy to observe. Just rip a cd with Task Manager open. You should see memory ratchet up after each track completes. Suggest you try it.

JONCAT

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 07:41:41 am »

I have receieved the Out Of Memory error but only on my wife's older Dell laptop with 512mb RAM. I error window can't be closed because it is continuously being re-generated (I think). I have never seen this error on XP x64 or Vista, but these machines have much more ram (2gb & 4gb).

It's not when ripping though. Usually it's after the PC has remained on with MC running for a long period of time but not playing (e.g. overnight).

Maybe we can track this down.

DC

specs for the laptop:

Media Center Registered 12.0.329 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1786 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 204 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4240N  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive N:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive R:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server
  UPnP Server
  Playing Now

rjm

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 02:09:22 am »

I did a more thorough test tonight. First I ran MC for a couple hours doing some tagging and viewing some video. Then I ripped 10 cds in a row keeping an eye on memory usage throughout. I am pleased to report that memory usage was well behaved.

I used the same secure mode Lame settings and nothing of substance has changed on my system. So whatever caused my previous out of memory problem does not seem to be repeatable and is probably nothing to worry about at this time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up