INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Additional Views on TIVO Server  (Read 5402 times)

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • computers are just a fad
Additional Views on TIVO Server
« on: October 16, 2006, 11:52:51 am »

Currently, with my setup, I can choose (after selecting audio, not playlists) the following sorting options: album artist, folder, file type, and location. Is there a way for me to be able to sort using genre, year, bitrate, etc, without having to go thru playlists?

RobOK

• Citizen of the Universe
  • long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
Re: Additional Views on TIVO Server
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 12:11:00 pm »

i believe it is showing you the equivalent of the "panels" for the Audio main view (i.e. what you see in MC when you hit Audio).  If you customize that root View Scheme, those customizations show up in the Tivo Server.

Sometimes the way it shows up on the Tivo can be a little confusing, so you have to play with it a little.

I would like the ability within Tivo Server to select a "starting point" within the MC Tree where I would keep Tivo specific view schemes and play lists, but currently it does not work that way.

ventilatedslacks

• Junior Woodchuck
  • bouncing off the walls, mr jones is back...
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 01:56:10 pm »

I second the idea of being able to set a specific View Schemes and Playlists root for viewing on TiVo.

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 02:08:20 pm »

oh yeah, definitely. I just assumed there was the ability somewhere, but didnt know the right settings. Sounds like there is no ability at this point. One can always setup a view scheme using playlists, but that is a pain in the butt. My TIVO has recently been having a lot of problems accessing playlists anyway; most of the time it errors out saying "there was an error accessing the server". I get the same errror message when I try to scroll thru artists too quickly, which, as you can imagine, can be a real headache when trying to access an artist that starts with W or Z!

I tried changing the view scheme on "audio", but it didnt change the scheme on TIVO.

ventilatedslacks

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 04:57:03 pm »

Just to clarify - you can set up any view schemes you want (by genre, bitrate, etc) and they will appear as options in TiVo under the "Audio" folder. My issue is with the fact that all view schemes and playlists that you set up in MC show up in TiVo. Some of those that I have set up are for maintenance purposes (dupes, missing data, etc.), so it would be nice to be able to specify a View Scheme Group or Playlist Group folder that is the default directory that TiVo looks at.

BTW - don't know if you realize that you can group the elements of your view schemes so that you don't have to scroll through every artist to get to one that starts with W or Z. Go into edit your view scheme, select the item that you want to edit (e.g., Artist), and then select the grouping option. For example, I have my standard Artist/Album view scheme set up as follows:

Album Artist (auto) -- groups of two
Album Artist (auto)
Album

This means that when I access this view scheme in TiVo or through the panels view in MC, I first see folders labeled 0-9, A-B, C-D, E-F, etc. Then I pick the folder that would contain my artist and continue making my selection from there.

I'm at work right now without access to MC, so I may not have the labeling correct in my description above, so let me know if you need additional assistance setting this up.

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 05:59:59 pm »

I'll have to do some more playing with it and see what I can come up with. However, I agree that an easier setup would be helpful.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 06:37:04 pm »

Just to clarify - you can set up any view schemes you want (by genre, bitrate, etc) and they will appear as options in TiVo under the "Audio" folder. My issue is with the fact that all view schemes and playlists that you set up in MC show up in TiVo.

You can disable any view scheme from showing up on TiVo by unchecking "Show in Theater View" in the edit view scheme settings.
Sue

ventilatedslacks

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 07:49:15 pm »

Well, I'll be damned  ;D

I've been using the TiVo functionality for three years and never knew that. Thanks for the tip! It's too bad it doesn't apply to Playlists as well.

Only thing I noticed (I am using the MC 12 beta) is that the view scheme for the Audio root - even when "Display in Theater View" is unchecked - continues to display on TiVo. I am posting a note about this in the MC 12 forum.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 09:19:42 pm »

I agree, it would be nice if we could exclude playlists in some way too.

A little OT, but… do you know if TiVo server in MC12 works for video, too? Could I rip a DVD and stream it to my TiVos using MC?
Sue

ventilatedslacks

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 10:01:01 pm »

No, unfortunately it still only works with Audio and Photos.

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 08:26:40 am »

ok. so i made a view scheme of artist (a, b,c, etc), date, and genre. It gave me some fairly bizarre results on the tivo machine. Maybe you all can help me. Here is (in a perfect world) what I would like to do for the TIVO:

AUDIO
      ARTIST
           A
               ABBA
               ARLO GUTHRIE, ETC
                   ALBUM
                       TRACKS
      GENRE
           MODERN ROCK, ETC
               ARTIST (ALPHABETIZED)
                       ALBUM (PREFERABLY BY DATE, BUT ALPHABETIZED IS OK)
                              TRACKS
       YEAR
           1977, ETC
                ARTIST
                      ALBUM
                            TRACKS

is this doable? how would I set it up in the scheme?

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 11:40:10 am »

oh come on now... everyone had LOTS of ideas a couple of days ago...

ventilatedslacks

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 01:14:19 pm »

I'm at work right now, so I don't have access to MC or my TiVo, but whenever you set up a grouped item, you need to create two versions of this item - one grouped and the other ungrouped - to get the results you're looking for.

So, for your first example, what I would do is this:

Artist (groups of 1)
Artist
Album
Name

Note that "Artist" appears twice in the view scheme since the first occurrence handles the groupings and the second handles displaying the artist that match the grouping selected.

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
"song" year versus "album" year
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 01:27:52 pm »

Great. Got it to work.
Now, heres my next challenge:

Is there an ability to separate album year from song year, yet still keep the album intact? I have quite a few "greatest hits" albums, which obviously the album year would not be the same year the song came out originally. However, I want to be able to search for, say, 1994, and come up with all the songs in my library that were originally released in 1994. Doesnt necessarily have to be listed by album, going from date to artist to track is fine. However, when going to the different scheme of artist/album, I still want the entire album of greatest hits intact, and not have songs sorted by dates. I do, however, want the albums themselves sorted by date within the artist view.  If I take the date completely off the album sorting rules, that fixes the track order problem, but MC then just lists the albums alphabetically, which I dont want. If I leave the date intact, then MC lists the earlier songs first, and not in the original order of the album. I would think an "album year" versus "song year" would do the trick, but I havent been able to come up with that view yet. So far, the only two solutions I can think of would be to have the song twice, one copy under the original release date, and another copy under the greatest hits album. The other solutoin would be to have the "song year" listed under comments or notes, and the "album year" listed normally.  Neither idea really appeals to me. Any ideas?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 02:37:19 pm »

Add a field to the database, "Release Year", and use that as well as Year.

j

kd_cooke

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 10:30:30 am »

Just to clarify - you can set up any view schemes you want (by genre, bitrate, etc) and they will appear as options in TiVo under the "Audio" folder. My issue is with the fact that all view schemes and playlists that you set up in MC show up in TiVo. Some of those that I have set up are for maintenance purposes (dupes, missing data, etc.), so it would be nice to be able to specify a View Scheme Group or Playlist Group folder that is the default directory that TiVo looks at.

OK, color me clueless.  I've found the "Show in Theater View" checkbox and have been able to hide all views when navigating TiVo.  However, I *still* have all of the genre folders listed in the root of Audio!  How do I hide these too!!!

TIA!

kd_cooke

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 10:44:39 am »

OK, color me clueless.  I've found the "Show in Theater View" checkbox and have been able to hide all views when navigating TiVo.  However, I *still* have all of the genre folders listed in the root of Audio!  How do I hide these too!!!

TIA!

Found an answer here (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42374.0)
Pages: [1]   Go Up