INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Plugins (iZotope)  (Read 3325 times)

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
DSP Plugins (iZotope)
« on: October 15, 2007, 02:32:39 pm »

Has anyone looked into working with iZotope?  They have some really great products Like Ozone MP.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/media/ozone.html
But for MC database and some other features I would have chosen another player that would allow me to use the iZotop products.  They also have a free app called "Vinyl".  What would be involved having their products available for use with MC?

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP Plugins (iZotope)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 12:20:13 am »

As their stuff is not readily available as an SDK or other source code, quite a bit.  Not very practical to integrate at this point.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 02:20:11 am »

It's not something I ever delved too deeply into, but can't we use izotope dsp stuff via MC's directx host plugin?

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 08:19:50 am »

It is currently working with Winamp and Quitessential players.  For me, I think it would be great to have a DSP that could emulate the warmth of an old MacIntosh amp.  It would be nice if someone at JRiver could contact some one at iZotope and see if it is feasible.  They just licensed Mixmeister and the contact name is on the iZotope site.  I think JRiver would tap into the high end market if they added this DSP as an option.  I don't have a problem paying for a quality product.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:21:26 am »

It's not something I ever delved too deeply into, but can't we use izotope dsp stuff via MC's directx host plugin?
tunetyme,
Have you tried the directx host plug-in?

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:58:09 am »

Their flagship program, Ozone 3, works quite well as a DirectX plugin.  Smoother, in fact, that any other comparable 3rd-party DSP plugin I tried.  However, after thirty days of playing around with this neat little applet, they want you to send them $249--NOT!!

As for Ozone MP, their low-cost (~$30?) winamp/WMP thingy, I couldn't get it to install.

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 11:41:31 pm »

Have you tried the directx host plug-in?

Actually, I am not familiar with directx host plug-in.  Where can I learn how to set it up for a test drive?

As for the cost for ozone, I agree.  Then again I don't plan on recording and mixing my own music. 
The media player option is of great interest to me.  I have spent many hours in front of great speakers and a MacIntosh amp.  I would love to be able to create that quality sound without spending big bucks.

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 01:52:01 pm »

I just installed the trial of the full version of Ozone 3, using the DirectX plugin.  All I can say, is it's absolutely fantastic.  Every few months I revisit looking at what kinds of mp3 "improvement" stuff is out there and the recent conversations about dynamic compression made me look around again.  I had noticed this product before, but it looked way too over the top for the simple task I needed it for, but I must say... it's processing is fantastic.  Since all of my playlists span so many genres/decades, the ability to get some good compression along with some drastically needed warmth in the mp3 sound I would greatly appreciate.  This product does that right out of the box using the great presets.  I've tried various other things like DFX, albeit not the Creative Crystallizer stuff, but none of them really did it for me.  More than anything, they just seemed to boost treble and bass, in addition to amplifying annoying compression artifacts.

This thing really just adds some kind of, for lack of better words, "warm and fuzzies" to the music.  It just really, really sounds great.  For anyone wanting to try it (for fun), I would highly suggest hearing it.  I'm currently using the "Exciter - 4 Band Warmth" preset.

The nice thing about this is I've tried it with the same preset over many different types of tracks and it seems to handle them all pretty well.  It seems to really shine on older music (that might need a little more "punch" to make it blend well with newer recordings) as well as not overkilling it on new stuff that doesn't need as much dynamic compression.

Now, if I could only get the $30 version to do the same within MC (assuming it has the same processing power... I'm not sure if it does... I assume much less user configuration).
Pages: [1]   Go Up