INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Option to set the language during installation?  (Read 1883 times)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
Option to set the language during installation?
« on: October 26, 2007, 04:54:31 am »

Being responsible for one of the translations (Czech language) I wonder if it would be possible to implement a feature into MC installation process - the option to select the language in the very beginning of the installation (and not only after the whole application is installed - pushing the user to go to Tools etc.). I think that the non-English users would appreciate it...
What do you think, JRiver guys?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Option to set the language during installation?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 06:58:08 am »

It's a good idea, but it complicates the install.  If we had a really simple way to do it, we might.

We'll give it some thought when we have a chance.   Would a button that says "Language" be enough?

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 11:29:52 am »

We'll give it some thought when we have a chance.   Would a button that says "Language" be enough?

I think so, most software packages I know just ask for the language, which can normally be selected. Some software switches to the selected language right away, some continues the installation in English and switches to the selected language at startup time. Usually it is the first thing asked in the installation process!

By the way, it would also be nice to have some kind of include statement in the language file, so that we can add a user specific add-on file. This would easily allow the standard language files to be overwritten each time, while a user specific language file would remain intact in every installation.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 06:31:58 pm »

Our plan is to auto-pick the closest language from the language set in Windows.

Hopefully this will be in a build in the next few weeks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 04:57:57 am »

Our plan is to auto-pick the closest language from the language set in Windows.

This seems to be a smart solution.
Thank you

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 03:59:26 am »

First of all my question is: have you implemented this feature?? I recently tried installing MC12 on two fresh Vista systems (English version with Czech MUI installed and activated) and in both cases MC did not switch to Czech language but stayed in English...
I also tried MC13 today and it is the same e.g. no way to manually select language during installation process and interface stayed in English although Czech MUI is installed and activated on my Vista system.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 06:49:34 am »

If you don't uninstall, the new install should preserve the language setting.

We haven't added a setting during install yet.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 06:58:17 am »

I am not sure I understand your point correctly...

If I install newer MC version over existing one (like 12.0.533 over 12.0.530) the language is preserved. (OK)
If I install MC13 on system where MC12 is already installed and set to Czech, it is not preserved and MC13 goes English. (not OK)
If I install MC12 on fresh system where MC was never installed it stays English even if there is Czech MUI installed and activated. (not OK)

I suggest to implement the option to choose language during installation (at least) in MC13...
Pages: [1]   Go Up