INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced tools for image/picture editing and organizing feature requests...  (Read 2760 times)

cosmicfx

• World Citizen

Hi there, I'm new to the forum , and hope I'm going about this the right way.

I'm planning on purchasing JRiver Media Center at the end of this month, as I think it's the best music organizer and player around.
However, with that said, it is not the first time I have actually downloaded and tried out the trial version,... and always hoped and  wish that the Media Centre would be complete with some extra and advanced image tools, so that I wouldn't have to use another photo organizer like Acdsee or similar.

So here are a few of important features I'd love to see in Media Centre ... although as I said it won't stop me from purchasing it at the end of this month :)

1) obviously as mentioned above, advanced editing tools like for eg. , lasso selection tools, numerous filter effects, lossless rotation (also in JRiver Image Editor) , etc ...
2) advanced image organizing tools, such as "create custom categories" , etc...
3)Auto hide/show panes, where one can set it to auto-hide/show, which'll make it easier when one prefers viewing thumbnals in fullscreen mode with all the panes docked to the side and bottom, ... maybe also a one-click button that can be added to the top or bottom toorbar, which can in one click hide/show all panels ( panels such as the Tree panel, action window, etc...)
4) View folders in thumbnails, so one has the option to see the images grouped by which actual folder they are in, and also so one can navigate through the main window easily , without needing to use the tree/list view.
5) An "include window context menu" option in the Media Center context menu
6) Sort thumbnails by "folder location"
7)oh , and it would be great to have many more photo editing option which could quickly be accessed in the right-click context menu...

And with that all said, I'd like to finish by saying ... brilliant work.
Thankyou

RacheRock

• Recent member

I would like to echo the requests above,  especially for more photo editing tools and categorizing.

And I'd like to add another few, like a quick view window, so that if an image file is associated with Media Center and I double-click it from Explorer, it can open up in a Media Centre Quick Viewer, without opening the whole Media Center program.

Another problem I find with the Fullscreen View is that when I move my cursor to the top and activate the main toolbar, it takes way too long to auto-hide again, It would be fantastic to be able to set the amount of time for the Fullscreen Main toolbar to auto-hide so that I can have the fullscreen restored much quicker.
And lastly, if I'm playing an audio file and viewing various image files in Fullscreen, the only way I can move to the next image is with using pgup or pgdown on the keyboard. If I click the arrow button on the main toolbar, it moves the the next audio track. It would be wonderful to have maybe another smaller arrow to control the image previous/next, without using the keyboard.

I'm not sure. Does J'Rivers MC actually read all these posts and take note of any of these requests?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut

I'm not sure. Does J'Rivers MC actually read all these posts and take note of any of these requests?

Yes, we do. We don't always do what is requested, but we do pay attention to our users. -- j

gappie

not an advanged tool i guess. but i would be happy if there would be a keyboard shortcut for rotating images (ctrl k and ctrl l, just like in the standard imageviewer from windows  :) ), or if the mcc 31001 and 31002 would be repared (broken since 11.1).

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Hi there, I'm new to the forum , and hope I'm going about this the right way.

I just figured I'd say (since no one else did)...

Hello!  Welcome to the forum!

This is certainly the place to ask questions and make requests and suggestions.  JRiver certainly does read and take into account user suggestions.  They don't always do everything asked (obviously) but if you make a good case, are willing to compromise a bit, and particularly if you can get other users to agree, you have a good shot at getting something that will work for you.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

We read.  We don't always write.

A post is more likely to be answered if it has a simple question and a topic that describes it.  Ideas are easy to dream up and often hard to implement.

The original post in the thread had a lot of questions.  If it had been just this one
1) obviously as mentioned above, advanced editing tools like for eg. , lasso selection tools, numerous filter effects, lossless rotation (also in JRiver Image Editor) , etc ...
I would have said "Check the options to allow lasso.  It's under advanced somewhere."

Some of the other poster's suggestions are also available.  Lossless rotation, for example, for jpg's.

RacheRock

• Recent member

Hello

Sorry if I seemed rude, I'm also new to the forum... so, I Cosmicfx and hi to all.
It's good to know that you guys are listening and obviously I understand that you won't add all requested features.

With the "advanced image editing options" cosmicfx mentioned, the image editor doesn't seem complete. I've read somewhere in the forum that if one rotates inside MC, by right-clicking or using the icon in the customized toolbar, then it is Lossless, but if one uses it in the image editor, then it is not. How would most user actually know this. It should be either specified very clear, or made consistent, lossless in the image editor too. I found the post ... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=39942.msg272220#msg272220 ( reply # 2 , by Marko MC 12 Beta Team)
Also, it seems not too user friendly, as I still can't find the lasso toll in advanced ... somewhere :)

As Johnnyboy mentioned in this post ...http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43308.0  ( in Preply # 6)... I do agree with him that MC seems to give more priority to audio files than image files.
And as I mentioned before, I also have navigation problems with trying to view images in fullscreen, while I too would like to have the "music as the background". I'd like to navigate my images without interfering with the audio or visa versa.

JimH

• Administrator

You weren't rude at all.  Thanks.  It was just a lot of questions.

Combined audio and image playback is changing right now.  Wait for the next few builds.

The image editor is a little light.  We know that.  We just haven't had time to work on it.

dcwebman

I hate to admit it but not having done much with images in MC, I didn't even know there was an image editor. If it was there, I expected to see it under Advanced Tools or in the Windows Start Programs group.

I have a friend who was looking for a gift for his father and I mentioned MC. He asked about image organizing and I said it could do a great job in that. He then asked about editing and I said I didn't know. At least now I know and can let him know.
Jeff

robydago

The image editor is a little light.  We know that.  We just haven't had time to work on it.

Please when you'll have time, add more aspect ratios for cropping:
- preset sizes for HDTV viewing
- a custom ratio (by pixels, by inches\cm)

and please check the system regional settings for the units (inches or cm) to use.

BTW, when I "save as" a file I'd like to be able to choose weather to add the saved file to the MC library and weather to tag it as the original file (i.e. all fields are filled as the original file)

Thanks again.

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
Re: Advanced tools for image/picture editing and organizing feature requests...
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 11:05:58 am »

Hello again. And Thanks for the welcome. :)

I'm really glad to see the new audio and image in their own zone feature. It's works perfectly, much better.

But, as other have obvoiusly mentioned, I'd really look forward to MC having more time and making the Image editor a priority, to improve on the tools.

I would have said "Check the options to allow lasso.  It's under advanced somewhere."
And I'd like to ask MC to please be more speicific and let us know where this secretive lasso tool is?  ;)
I've also look quite hard and can't find it. It shouldn't be so difficult for a user to find a tool. :(

Well, I think I'm getting the hang of this forum ( at least with the quote thingy), but I hope I haven't put too much in again .

Thanks again MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 11:09:33 am »

Tools/Options/Tree and View/Advanced.

cosmicfx

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 11:25:05 am »

I'm sorry if this seems silly, but are we talking about the same kind of "lasso tool"?

The "lasso tool" I'm talking about is an "image editing" lasso tool which is used for selecting specific areas of an image...

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 12:01:49 pm »

No.  I'm sorry.  We're not talking about the same thing.

robydago

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 01:09:22 pm »

Please when you'll have time, add more aspect ratios for cropping:
- preset sizes for HDTV viewing

Just in case I was not clear: for viewing pictures on HDTV, i.e. resolutions available on HD-Ready and  FULL-HD LCD\PLASMA tvs

robydago

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 06:22:45 am »

The "lasso tool" I'm talking about is an "image editing" lasso tool which is used for selecting specific areas of an image...

I guess you're talking about something more advanced than a square selection tool, because that one is available (menu edit>select)
Pages: [1]   Go Up