INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing some FLAC files but not all  (Read 1890 times)

Taxee

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Playing some FLAC files but not all
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:05:40 pm »

I am running MC 12.0,329 under XP Pro.  I just set it up on a new machine.

I installed the FLAC INC and ENC from SourceForge following the links on the Plugins page.

I can play some FLAC files but not all.  This is an MC problem as I installed the FLAC codec for Windows Media Player (after I couldn't play the files in MC 12) and it plays all of the FLAC files with no problems.

Can someone please suggest a fix for MC 12 so that I can play all of the FLAC files?

Thanks.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Playing some FLAC files but not all
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 11:17:33 pm »

You are way behind on versions.  I would suggest trying 12.0.365 at the top of the MC12 category.  It specifically states that FLAC has been fixed.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 03:22:48 am »

Taxee, you are not way behind on versions, you are bang up to date. Build 12.0.329 is the build that JRiver deems stable enough for public release and is therefore the build that is currently offered for download on their main download page

When benn600 refers to build 12.0.365, he's referring to the current public beta build, which can always be found at the top of the MC12 forum. (click directly to build thread)
This build might give you unexpected problems, but generally, these builds are pre-tested and quite stable. If you do experience problems, you should post your experience in the build thread and if JRiver can reproduce it, they'll more than likely fix it.

The FLAC fix specifically mentioned does not appear to apply to you. It has to do with cover art being saved inside FLAC files causing file corruption. According to the feedback in the thread, this does indeed appear to have been fixed. The reason it's been fixed by JRiver is because now MC comes with native FLAC support. You no longer need to install the plugins from sourceforge.

Hopefully, that helps you understand the apparent discrepancy between build numbers on the download page and the latest beta available via these forums.

Have a read of the existing feedback for build 365 and decide if any of the reported problems might affect you personally. If not, I'd say download and try build 365, with potentially hundreds of downloads and only 14 replies, it would appear to be reasonably safe and stable. If that does not solve your issue, report back here and we can pursue this further.

-marko.

Taxee

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 11:01:05 pm »

Thanks for the help.  I will likely try out the latest build.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 12:02:25 am »

> I will likely try out the latest build.

I think this is a bad idea.  Don't change MC 12 versions until you know more about the problem.

It has been possible to play Flac files since MC 11.  I've been using Flac files with MC 11 and 12 since early 2006.

You should be able to play Flac files with any recent release of MC 12.  One exception is that JRiver has had a few problems integrating the Flac plugins so that they come pre-installed when you install MC 12.  You installed the Flac plugins from Source Forge so those problems should not apply to you.

You should check a few things before trying the latest build:

1. Under Tools/Options/File Associations, see if the Flac checkbox is checked.  If not, check it.

2. Under Tools/Import Folder,  see if the Flac checkbox is checked.  I'm not sure whether this setting is library specific or global to all of MC 12, so be sure it is checked for the library you are using.  If not, check it.

3. Are the Flac files you can't play listed in the file list for the audio view scheme?  if not, are they listed under some other file type?  There have been discussions of problems where Flac files were imported but not recognized as audio files.

4. Note the location and file name of a Flac file you can't play.  In Windows Explorer, right-click on that file and choose "Open with".  Select Media center 12 from the list.  if it isn't listed, browse to the Program Files folder when MC 12 was installed and choose MC12.exe.

If MC12.exe plays the Flac file from Windows Explorer, your problem is probably that you didn't have the Flac checkbox checked (1. or 2. above) when you imported the Flac files.  Find and select all those Flac files you can't play and press delete.  In the dialog that appears, click on the top radio button "Remove from media Library Library".  (You don't want to physically delete the Flac files but just remove them from the MC 12 library.  Then re-import those files.  (If you want to be extra careful, make a copy of the Flac files before you remove them from the MC 12 library.

I'm just an MC 12 user but I felt that you had been given bad advice.

Bill Hunt

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 04:21:09 am »

Thing is, like Bill says, we are "just MC 12 users".
JRiver did not add native flac support until build 12.0.331 and therefore Taxee cannot expect to receive any official support unless he/she is running the latest available build, which is currently build 365.

1. Under Tools/Options/File Associations, see if the Flac checkbox is checked.  If not, check it.
agreed. I assumed this was done already.

2. Under Tools/Import Folder,  see if the Flac checkbox is checked.  I'm not sure whether this setting is library specific or global to all of MC 12, so be sure it is checked for the library you are using.  If not, check it.
The import folder settings are folder specific. You can choose which file types MC will look for in each folder. The thumbnails, fix broken links etc. etc. options you see under the folder list are library maintenance tools and affect the entire library.

3. Are the Flac files you can't play listed in the file list for the audio view scheme?  if not, are they listed under some other file type?  There have been discussions of problems where Flac files were imported but not recognized as audio files.
This could be the most likely root of the problem. They won't be in the library as another file type, but it's very likely that they will be imported as a different media type, namely documents, rather than audio. If this is the case, right click the tag action window and find the [Media Type] field in the "Also Show" list. Click on it to have it added to the tag window. Select all flac files imported as documents then click on the Media Type field in the tag window and change documents to audio.

4. Note the location and file name of a Flac file you can't play.  In Windows Explorer, right-click on that file and choose "Open with".  Select Media center 12 from the list.  if it isn't listed, browse to the Program Files folder when MC 12 was installed and choose MC12.exe.
MC12.exe is not present in the program directory, it gets installed to Windows/System32/MC12.exe
The executable in the program directory is called Media Center 12.exe

If MC12.exe plays the Flac file from Windows Explorer, your problem is probably that you didn't have the Flac checkbox checked (1. or 2. above) when you imported the Flac files.  Find and select all those Flac files you can't play and press delete.  In the dialog that appears, click on the top radio button "Remove from media Library Library".  (You don't want to physically delete the Flac files but just remove them from the MC 12 library.  Then re-import those files.  (If you want to be extra careful, make a copy of the Flac files before you remove them from the MC 12 library.
In my opinion, these are redundant steps if the files are imported under the incorrect media type, see my response to point #3 above for the simplest remedy.
It's also important when removing/re-importing files that attention is drawn to the "Ignore files previously deleted from library" setting.

:)

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 10:44:19 am »

Marko,

I agree with all your comments.

Since you know the material somewhat better than I do, why didn't you provide the information in your earlier post?

Bill

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 10:54:37 am »

because it's quite possible that much, if not all of the above is not required if upgrading to build 365 sorts things out.

installing the current build is pretty much essential before being able to expect support from JRiver, therefore, that is the first step required and was my recommendation, and I quote: "If that does not solve your issue, report back here and we can pursue this further."

?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 11:08:56 am »

> because it's quite possible that much, if not all of the above is not required if upgrading to build 365 sorts things out.

Will Build 365 reclassify Flac files that were not recognized as audio files when they were imported?

Bill

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 11:29:23 am »

No.
At this point we don't know if that is the problem in this case do we?

I'm not really sure where we are going with this, but it's certainly not helping the original poster. If you wish to discuss this further, perhaps the board private messaging system would be a better alternative?
Pages: [1]   Go Up