INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Some Help - Audio deleted from one PC not showing up on 2nd PC  (Read 1123 times)

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck

Greetings,

Since MC does not have a true client/server system I run two MC on two different PCs all pointing to a shared NAS drive on the network.

PC 1 is the Master Library/ for whole house audio and located in the basement in the server room.
PC 2 is in the office where I rip CD's are ripped from and duplicates are deleted etc etc.
PC 1 and PC2 are auto monitoring the shared NAS so when a CD is ripped from PC2, PC1 automatically picks up the change and adds it to the master library.
PC 2 does not play any actual music...all play is done via PC 1

Here's the pickle.

When I delete songs from the NAS via PC2...such as duplicates, OR I rename from file properties (after PC 1 has already picked up the new songs) then PC 1 shows a whole bunch of songs with "x" beside them since they are no longer available...which is true of course.  Then I have to go down to the basement and manually find songs paths that are no longer valid and delete them there too. There has got to be a better way of doing this.

How can I get PC 1 to automatically delete songs from it's library that no longer exist?  This is a real problem. If a song path is no longer valid there must be an automatic deletion option no?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need Some Help - Audio deleted from one PC not showing up on 2nd PC
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 12:08:55 pm »

Options --> Library & Folders --> Auto Import Folders --> Options -> Fix Broken Links

There are three choices: Yes, Yes (Protect Network Files), and No.

The default is Yes (Protect Network Files).  These options are described in the wiki here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Fix_broken_links_-_What_is_%22Protect_Network_Files%22%3F

The way Protect Network Files actually works is by checking to see if the top-level Parent Directory is still available, and if so, it removes the files.  If the parent directory is missing, then it leaves them alone (assuming that the drive itself is MIA).

This will only happen "automatically" after a period of time, after you close/reopen MC, or manually run Tools --> Run Auto-Import Now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 12:21:06 pm »

Since MC does not have a true client/server system ...
It may not behave as you expect it to, but it is certainly a true client/server system.

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:06:06 am »

I have them both set to Yes (Protect Network Files).

MC does not appear to update "files that are no longer there". It does show an "X" beside the songs. I tried just setting it to "Yes" and tested shutting down the NAS. Yep....lost the entire library and had to rebuild.

The Audio NAS is set in MC to monitor for changes Drive. "M:\"...a mapped network drive.

So...I'm assuming the way I have it setup is supposed to be correct? Are songs deleted, changed, converted from the NAS supposed to show up in all MC libraries via the Monitor for changes feature?

One a second but related note.
...what Happens if I convert some songs in the library to a different format? IE flac to wma. Will these changes get picked up under the Yes (Protect Network Files)...IE flac is gone and wma is picked up.

On the above, how does this affect existing playlists? If a song in a playlist is "song.flac" and it is converted at some point to "song.wma"....will this show up in the playlist too?

Thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up