INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using same library on same PC and two OS?  (Read 2285 times)

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • The world rotates, so does my car's engine ...
Using same library on same PC and two OS?
« on: November 20, 2007, 11:29:03 am »

Dear all,

I tried finding a solution to this via the search function, but no luck. Maybe I've chosen the wrong key words and maybe someone can give me a hand.

I have problems with MediaCenter 12 crashing quite often under Vista. Also I'm not yet convinced totally switching to Vista, so I have my fully working XP installed on the same PC as well and use the two OSs for different needs. In the midterm I want to use Vista for everything and XP only for those programs still giving pains under Vista.

Anyway, I would like to use MediaCenter under XP and Vista on the same PC, using the same library, so that whatever I do under which OS will be fully reflected on the other automatically. Library Sync is not working as it's intended for two PCs, not for two OSs on one PC as I understand. And when I try loading the library from my MediaCenter under XP, it says the library is from another PC and can only be opened in read-only mode.

Any hints or solutions? Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Mighty A-MAN

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Using same library on same PC and two OS?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 11:35:20 am »

What is the exact error message about opening the library?

j

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 11:42:02 am »

What is the exact error message about opening the library?

Dear John,

I can't replicate it right now as I'm not at home. From its meaning it is something like "As this library belongs to a different computer, it can only be opened in read-only mode.". That's all I can remember right now.
I'll try to check it out in detail later.

But from the tone of your question it sounds as if it should work?

Best regards,

Mighty A-MAN

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:06:54 pm »

There are two messages, very similar. I need to know which one is coming up.

I think this should work, yes. Find out the exact error message and we'll go from there.

j

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 12:47:07 pm »

There are two messages, very similar. I need to know which one is coming up.

I think this should work, yes. Find out the exact error message and we'll go from there.

Dear John,

Okay, here's the message:
"Database Read-Only
This database is already in use by another user.

It will be opened in read-only mode.  Any changes will be lost when the program exits."

Thanks and best regards,

Mighty A-MAN

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 12:59:16 pm »

Look for the file lock.jmd in your library directory. For some reason MC cannot create this file. It may already exist (if MC didn't terminate nicely), or you may not have permissions to write to the directory.

j

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 01:08:27 pm »

Look for the file lock.jmd in your library directory. For some reason MC cannot create this file. It may already exist (if MC didn't terminate nicely), or you may not have permissions to write to the directory.

Hi John,

I've been looking for that file, but could not find it. What does this mean now? I'm puzzled.

Best regards,

Mighty A-MAN

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 01:11:12 pm »

What is the library path? What are the library folder permissions on both operating systems?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 01:56:39 pm »

What are the library folder permissions on both operating systems?

I betcha that's it.  If the original (XP) library is in the default path (C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library) and he is trying to point the Vista copy of MC at that original library (or even if it isn't in the default location, but the permissions are screwy) then that'd probably cause this.

You need to have read/write permission on the library folder and it's subfiles and folders on "both sides" for it to work.  You could try creating a text file in the library folder from the XP install, and then try deleting it from Vista.  If you can't delete it, then you don't have the right permissions.  You could also try creating a new text file in the folder from the Vista side, which would tell you if you have file create permissions from inside Vista.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 03:11:15 pm »

Wouldn't it be easiest to just copy the library files to e.g. C:\library\ or a similar location?

There's also a thumbnail issue. The default thumbnail locations are separate and the thumbnails will not be correctly synchronized. Fortunately, a workaround for this exists. (We can talk about this later if needed).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 03:14:21 pm »

Wouldn't it be easiest to just copy the library files to e.g. C:\library\ or a similar location?

No.... Easiest would be to just stick with XP.   ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 10:52:52 am »

Dear all,

Okay, I've gone with the easiest solution and sold my Vista ... plus my MediaCenter ... and my PC. I'm back on good ol' tapes again ... and records.

Well, I expect you guessed I'm kidding. In fact I have checked the access rights for the standard location of the XP Library and set them so I can access from Vista. Then MediaCenter crashed all the time a few seconds after starting it, but after reinstallation it seems to work now. So I would like to thank you very much for your great help.

Alex, what is the thumbnail issue and what is the workaround for this?

Oh, and yes, I might be going to change the location where the library files are copied too, even though it doesn't matter now anymore.

All the best,

Mighty A-MAN

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 06:39:05 am »

Dear all,

This thread might have gone lost a bit, so please allow me to pull it up a bit, asking for a workaround for the thumbnail issue that has been raised.

Many thanks and best regards,

Mighty A-MAN

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 08:06:25 am »

Dear Alex,

Thanks for the link. I got the idea now and think that I won't be affected as I'm not addressing the library simultaneously, but only either or.

Since I recently updated to the new iPod Classic 160 GB as well as the iPod Touch, I was back on iTunes for a week or so, thinking I would switch over to it totally because of Media Center's missing iPod Touch support. But hey, I can't stand iTunes at all. It might be good for a lot of people, but I simply can't cope with it's slow speed and all the missing functions. So I will simply use it to sync the Touch, but won't use it for anything else (except of buying songs on the iTunes Store). I just love MediaCenter and I'm around sind MediaJukebox 7.   :D

Many thanks and best regards,

Mighty A-MAN
Pages: [1]   Go Up