INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC doesn't recognize all iPods all of the time  (Read 1784 times)

Ron2b4

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
MC doesn't recognize all iPods all of the time
« on: November 26, 2007, 02:06:19 am »

I've had this problem now with 4 iPods -- three of them Generation 3 and one Generation4.  The problem is that MC may --but not all the time -- refuse to recognize that an iPod is connected to my computer. The iPod, on the other hand, recognizes the computer, and display the Do Not Connect screen. Yes, I've tried switching cables and USB ports, getting MC's Device Management to rerecognize all devices, entering in the device information manually, closing and relaunching MC, my PC, and my iPod.  Outside of throwing the iPod through the PC's screen, I can't think of anything to make this work. Can  you?
Thanks,
Ron

SwellGuy

Re: MC doesn't recognize all iPods all of the time
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 04:36:29 am »

Can you post your system info here? Try 'Redetect all devices...' under handheld options.

Ron2b4

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:39:13 am »

I've tried the redetect manuever but it didnt' help.

My  system is a Dell  8400, P4 3GHz, 4 gigs of RAM, running Windows XP Pro.

ron

Ron

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:55:11 am »

Try the latest build of MC12 from the top of the MC12 board here.

Ron2b4

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 02:40:40 am »

I tried the lastest build -- again, because that's what I was already using.  How can it be that I have trouble connecting with different iPods on differnet PCs with different versions of Windows (XP, Media, and Vista) on different ports  (firewire and USB) with different cables? I run though every variable, and the only thing that still  the same is Media Center.  Is there a bug you have mentioned? Come on, please!  I really, really don't want to use iTunes.

ron

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 09:37:30 am »

Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

The download page has build 329.  The MC12 board has build 380.

You may need to update your iPod firmware and the only way to do that now is by downloading itunes.

Apple threw us a few curves in the last couple of months and it's taken time to sort it out.  They changed the database format to discourage other companies from supporting it and to promote itunes and Apple Music and Macs and His Steveness.  It's a bit of a pain.

Ron2b4

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:07:45 am »

Thanks, Jim.  Here's the system info. I hate to sound so helpless, but I can't find the link to the latest build that's on the forum.

Your description of what iTunes is doing is exactly why I don't want to resot to iTumes unless I'm forced to.

Ron

Media Center Registered 12.0.329 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows Vista 6.0  (Build 6000)
Intel Pentium 4 2990 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2097 MB, Free - 1174 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.6000.16546 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.6000 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.6000 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.6000 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive G: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:17  MaxSpeed:17  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 10:53:49 am »

Try build 380 from the top of the MC12 board.  It should work.

It's the first thread at the top.  Start here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php
and choose Media Center 12.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 08:24:54 pm »

I've been seeing iPod "detection" problems in MC for a little while now as well.  This came to a head with 382 or 383 beta build, where MC wouldn't recognize my 3G iPod at all (it just saw is as a removable drive.)  I updated/restored my iPods, however, and it looks like this may have fixed the issue.  I can't say whether or not the recognition issues are truly gone yet since they were never consistent, but I can say that updating/restoring them appears to have had an impact on MC's ability to see them.  MC now sees my iPods much faster than it did before (especially the 5G, which went from taking 3 minutes to only taking 45 seconds), and so far, it hasn't failed to recognize them (although, as I said, I really haven't tested them much yet.)

I'll keep an eye on my iPods and report back if the recognition issue return.

I would recommend doing a full update/restore in iTunes if you haven't yet.

I TOTALLY agree with your reluctance to use iTunes.  I ONLY have iTunes installed on ONE of my systems, and the ONLY reason I ever open iTunes is to update my iPods.  If you REALLY don't want to have iTunes installed on your system, you can take your iPod to an Apple store and ask them to update/restore it there.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up