INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZoneAlarm settings for library server access  (Read 1474 times)

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
ZoneAlarm settings for library server access
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:59:29 pm »

Probably discussed before, but I couldn't find it when searching....

Picked up a free (after rebate) 3-user version of ZoneAlarm ISS 2007 at Fry's today. Installed it on computer that is running library server. Everything works - I can access library server from other computers on the network.

Installed ZoneAlarm on a 2nd computer on the network. This computer now fails to connect to library server. Any ideas what ZoneAlarm setting I need to change in order to make this work?

All computers are using MC12.0.375

Tried a few things:
1. Looking at the library server log, I see:
11/28/07 19:42:48 - Received request for version
11/28/07 19:42:48 - Sending version
11/28/07 19:42:49 - Received request for library
11/28/07 19:42:54 - Sending library

Therefore, computers are communicating with each other. 2nd computer hangs with the dialog, "Connecting to server, please wait" showing. Thus, it looks like its search for library servers is succeeding.

2. I turned off everything on ZoneAlarm (firewalls, program control, anti-virus, anti-spyware, privacy...) and the problem still occurs

3. If I uninstall ZoneAlarm completely, the 2nd computer is able to connect to library server with no problem.

Any idea what ZoneAlarm is blocking and how I can change it?

Thanks,
S

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: ZoneAlarm settings for library server access
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:32:57 pm »

The wiki has a little:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Library_Server#Firewall_Considerations

However, if I'm following everything right, this doesn't sound like a straightforward firewall issue. Is it possible Zone Alarm is changing the contents of the library? Probably not, but firewalls usually filter from the beginning. They usually don't let the connection start and filter it part of the way though, as is happening in your case.

I don't know Zone Alarm, but look for logs that will tell you exactly what it's filtering. That'd help

j

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:41:44 pm »

In ZA, try looking in "Program Control", under the "Programs" tab (tab!).  Scroll down to Media Center and check to see if "server" rights as well as "access" rights are enabled.  ZA won't give any program "server" rights unless you explicitly request it. 

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 12:48:35 am »

I had a problem similar to this at one point.  I had to go into Zone Alarm and add the IP address of each PC to the trusted zone list.  You can try this and see if it helps with your problem. 

On Your Server PC Go to "Zones" Under the "Firewall" tab.  Then click on "Add", then click on "IP address", type in the address and a description.  You need to add the IP address of each computer that will be accessing your server.  Then on every client machine you need to add the server's IP address to the trusted zone list.

Hopefully this is the answer to your problem. 

Good luck,
A.
Pages: [1]   Go Up