INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazon Kindle -- First look  (Read 2974 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Amazon Kindle -- First look
« on: December 01, 2007, 10:16:53 am »

We ordered the new Kindle from Amazon.  It came yesterday and I've just spent a couple of hours with it.

More pictures

It's an e-Reader, a type of device with a display that uses a relatively new screen technology called e-ink.  It has an extremely readable screen.  (This one is grayscale, color e-ink exists and will probably follow).  You can read the display in any light that would work for reading a newspaper.  The brighter the light, the more readable the screen.  It also uses very little power.

It has enough built-in memory to store around 20 books and an SD slot.  I bought a 2GB SD chip for $35.  2GB will store about 500 books.

This device has a wireless connection -- it uses Sprint's cellular network, so any place you could make a cell phone call, the device will work.

The Kindle costs $400, but the price will drop, and the wireless connection is included -- no separate signup needed.

MY NOTES
Overall, a really nice first cut at a reader.  Not as slick as many other consumer devices, but it has a lot more capabilities than many.  The wireless connection is a big win.

Next and last buttons too large -- thumb size would be fine, located just above the normal holding position.  I can see the logic of two "next" buttons, but then why not two "previous".   Another reader I have (eflybook) lets you swap the functionality of the left and right buttons.  That would be my preference.

Not enough space to hold it without having your fingers on a button.

Keyboard (numbers and letters) is small but works.

Shape -- points for trying something new, but it doesn't add anything for me.  I'd prefer a simpler shape.  The "ledge" on the left side does make it easier to pick up, but then the right side offers little resistance.  A notch on the left (and right?) might serve the same purpose.

Menu in some cases brings up a list starting with Close.  Since this just closes the menu, the top choice might better be Home.

Home should have a link to the Amazon store.

A readme.txt file or similar on the disk would be helpful.  Supported formats, etc.  I suppose it's in the documentation.

The device mounts as a removable disk when connected to a PC, so MC can transfer files to it.  We should be able to treat it as a portable device/handheld.

MP3 files can be played, but the player is either on or off (ALT-P).  It's called "experimental" for now.

JPG image files are partially supported, but you have to e-mail the files to your Kindle e-mail address.  We may be able to find a way to convert to a format that works.  The display is only fair and it's only grayscale.

The store works very well.  I bought a copy of the New York times for 75 cents and it appeared on my Kindle in about two minutes.  I bought a copy of Alan Greenspan's "The Age of Turbulence" for $10 (hard cover price is $25).

A very nice device.  Expensive now, but the price will decline and the quality will improve.

edbro

Re: Amazon Kindle -- First look
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 10:26:05 am »

I have the Sony Reader and I dearly love it. The Kindle has the wireless capability which is nice but you pay the price in device size and battery life. I can go weeks of constant reading before I have to charge my Sony. The eInk technology on both units is very cool. I haven't seen the Kindle in real life but I understand it has the same eInk as the Sony so I'm sure it has to be a nice display. Mine can be read just fine in bright sunlight.

The biggest problem with both of these is the very poor support for PDFs. I can convert pdfs so that they are readable but it takes a small bit of work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:56:22 am »

We've added the Kindle as a supported device in MC 12.0.385.

Pictures are here:
http://pix01.com/wG@d1SA

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 03:06:51 am »

I like that skin.  Who made it?

I have the first generation Sony reader.  It's very nice, too, and I read on it whenever I can.

pank2002

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:03:09 am »

Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

toomanybarts

• World Citizen
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:47:32 am »

I too have the Sony reader (PRS500) and love it.  Not too keen on the Connect software : a little clunky.  It would appear from the screen shots I've seen, that Media Center 12 will sync with the Kindle.  Will MC12 (or even MC11 which I have) sync with the Sony Reader?
Or is there a way (some form of drag & drop) that will allow this?
(I already worked out that in order to get MC11 to manage my ebooks (.lit, .lrf and pdf files etc) that I needed to drag & drop and not use Tools>Options>Import.  I love Media Center and have been using it for 5 years now, will J River ever look into supporting ebooks and the inevitable conversions necessary for the various ebook formats out there?)
Thank you in advance for your time in reading this.

pank2002

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:34:38 pm »

You should think about selling your Kindle. They have sold out until after Christmas.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:38:31 pm »

Ouch.

benn600

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 03:30:18 pm »

I'll buy it for $1,550.

Just kidding.

benn600

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 11:34:19 pm »

I hope the buyer takes:
   Up to $25 back w. eBay MasterCard Apply

benn600

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:21:31 pm »

On TWiT this week they were saying it is probably a marketing company.  One also sold for ~$800 and that seems more valid.  The other was probably just so everyone will talk about how amazing the device MUST be 'cause it's going for so much!

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 11:40:44 am »

Jim, could you answer a question please?

I'm in the UK and travel regularly to the US and I'd like to get a Kindle when I'm next there.

The Kindle won't have the wireless support here in the UK.

Can the books be purchased and downloaded from Amazon and then synched via PC, obviating the need for wireless connection?

TIA
Pages: [1]   Go Up