INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating iPod...  (Read 1086 times)

etid

Updating iPod...
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:01:11 am »

Whatever happened to the standalone ipod updater? is there a way to update your ipod without the hassle and frustration of itunes? cuz i don't really fell the need to keep itunes on my computer because of all the hidden crap that was installed along with it, nor that it is a competitive program in my opinion, yet i have a very rather downfall you might say, to wanting to be current and up-to-date. so am i in a catch 22 situation of wanting to update my ipod and still not having itunes installed on my computer. is there any program that will update your ipod? could it be integrated into jr mc? or would that flatter the lines of some law?

any info is appreciated, and a thanks in advance for it.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Updating iPod...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 02:54:11 am »

Apple stopped releasing the standalone iPod updater as another means of forcing people to use iTunes.  They also do everything they can to make it VERY difficult for other programs to work with their hardware (like iPods), so it's probably very hard if not impossible for MC to offer iPod updates.  I can't say whether this will be possible in the future, but at the moment, the ONLY way to update an iPod is with iTunes, and there is no indication that this will change anytime soon.

The short answer to your question, therefore, is "Yes -- you need to use iTunes."  That said, it doesn't seem to cause any real problems to install iTunes JUST for this purpose -- just make sure you turn off all the "automatic" stuff when you install it, such as "launch iTunes when an iPod is connected," or the "auto-scan for media files" features.  Basically, go through ALL the options in iTunes and verify that everything is "disabled.  If you turn all this stuff off and only launch iTunes when you need to update your iPod, it "shouldn't" be a problem -- just don't run iTunes and MC at the same time.

If you REALLY want to keep iTunes off the system, however (which I completely understand), you can go to an Apple store near you and have them update your iPod (which is free.)  I used to do this, but I have since installed iTunes on ONE of my systems, which I use for iPod updates.  So far, it doesn't appear to have caused any issues.

Larry   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Updating iPod...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:35:47 am »

iTunes is the only way now.  You should be able to uninstall it after updating the iPod.

Or take it to an Apple store and ask them to do it.

Or a friend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up