INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very odd MC-related problem, ReadyNAS V4.00 lockup while streaming.  (Read 863 times)

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck

Not necessarily MC, but related for sure.  I'm having quite the odd problem with my ReadyNAS since I updated to V4.0.  That problem is, when I'm streaming music off the NAS via the library server, after a short time (<1-2 hrs usually) the NAS will lockup hard, requiring a hard power cycle.

Now, I've reported the issue to Infrant and they're looking at it, but what causes me to post here is that the details are quite odd. 

First, the NAS will only lock when I'm streaming music with MC.  I can copy files, run IOmeter, play videos, all of the above for hours and hours and the NAS is fine, but start streaming via the library server and the NAS will lock without fail.

Second, it seems it will only lock when using the library server with transcoding enabled.  My entire library is WMAL and FLAC files so I transcode them on the fly to listen at work.  Listening under such a circumstance will kill the NAS in the above time frame.  When at home I use the library server, but without transcoding and it will run fine, again, for hours.  However if I turn on transcoding at home, again, dead NAS in a short time.

The main reason I'm posting this here is because I'm curious/hopeful that the community and/or J River can provide some insight into what might be different about how MC library server accesses files when in transcode mode vs when not in transcode mode.

Further info, the files are on a CIFS/SMB share on the NAS and the library references them via UNC path.

Thanks

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Very odd MC-related problem, ReadyNAS V4.00 lockup while streaming.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 03:33:12 pm »

my first reaction is that your NAS can't handle the demands placed on it by streaming.

That this started after you 'upgraded' to v4 tells me that v4 is the problem.

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
Re: Very odd MC-related problem, ReadyNAS V4.00 lockup while streaming.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 03:38:25 pm »

my first reaction is that your NAS can't handle the demands placed on it by streaming.

Well I can play 20Mbps+ transport streams off of it just fine, also I can play files off it fine with transcoding disabled, but it will crash those same files are played using transcoding.  Hence it would seem there is something different between transcoding and not.

That this started after you 'upgraded' to v4 tells me that v4 is the problem.

I agree, hence my very careful, deliberate attempts to make it clear that I do not blame MC about this.  It is obviously and completely a problem with the NAS as the V3 firmware worked fine.  However, as noted above, the settings and usage of MC affect whether the problem with the NAS will exhibit itself or not.  Hence the post here looking for any insight into what that difference might be, partially out of intellectual curiosity, but also so I can report back to Infrant and potentially aid their debugging.

Just to be perfectly clear, I don't think it's a problem with MC, I think it's a quirk of the way MC accesses files with transcoding enabled that causes the problem on the NAS.

-edit

I did a bit more research.  Fired up wireshark and did some captures, it turns out there is a difference between transcoding enabled and not.  With transcoding disabled, MC reads the file in nice 8KB chunks (8096 byte requests).  With ogg transcoding enables, it's a little weird, one time it will request 4032bytes, the next it will request 61440bytes...
Pages: [1]   Go Up