INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does the Microsoft MCE Remote work with MC 12?  (Read 4004 times)

gundan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Does the Microsoft MCE Remote work with MC 12?
« on: December 07, 2007, 07:37:28 am »

Hello,

Does this remote work with JRiver in XP Pro?  Do I have to do anything fancy to get it to work?  I don't have XP Media Center edition, and I am not going to spend any $ to buy it nor Vista Home Premium. 

http://www.xpcgear.com/xpremote.html

Thanks,
G

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Does the Microsoft MCE Remote work with MC 12?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 08:02:09 am »

I'm reasonably certain that the Play/FF/RW/Stop/Pause/Volume buttons will work out of the box, but I doubt that much else will (I don't have one so I could be wrong).

Another option for similar money is this: http://www.amazon.com/SnapStream-Media-Firefly-Mini-Remote/dp/B000ETYVHU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1197036016&sr=8-2

I have the "full version" of the Firefly (2 actually) and I love them.  I do have mine programmed for extra functionality using Girder though, which is an extra expense (they work without Girder, but you can't reprogram all of the buttons).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JohnT

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 08:42:12 am »

This was added back in June:
10. NEW: Added support for MyTV,MyMusic,MyPictures,MyVideos,More,RecTV,LiveTV,Guide,DVDMenu buttons on Microsoft MCE remote.

The buttons that glynor mentioned should also work. The large green button in the middle of the remote doesn't work with MC.

-John
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

gundan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 09:19:03 am »

Thanks gents :-)(I think).

I am looking forward to testing things out shortly.

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 10:10:26 am »

I'd like to hear if this works for you because I bought a Gyration Media Center remote that is suppose to follow the MCE remote standard and the MyTV, MyVideos, etc. do not work. I am on XP pro also with out MCE and others can't get the Gyration one to work but have not heard if anyone can get the MCE one to work.

I saw the recommendation on the Firefly I think if you are want something configurable and is RF not IR that would seem a better choice. Even if I get the Gyration one to work on the RF it won't be configurable so that I can program the volumn to my amplifier.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 11:35:32 am »

I'd like to hear if this works for you because I bought a Gyration Media Center remote that is suppose to follow the MCE remote standard and the MyTV, MyVideos, etc. do not work. I am on XP pro also with out MCE and others can't get the Gyration one to work but have not heard if anyone can get the MCE one to work.

I'm also lost here. Do not understand why a MCE "standard" Gyration remote RF should not work in MC12. Is there anything else than short cuts that's activating the Audio, video etc in the in MS Media Center?

Even if I get the Gyration one to work on the RF it won't be configurable so that I can program the volumn to my amplifier.

The Gyration should be able to learn equipement like amps, projectors and TV's. If you can't find the exact amp type in the library, then you still have the option to manually learn the IR codes. The Gyration uses RF for computer control and IR for other equipement. It's in the manual.

Please tell me if you manage to learn the remote anything. I failed after repeted attempts and gave up. Hehe. It probably had something to do with the beer I consumed.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 01:27:13 pm »

Yes the MCE remote works well with MC12 on both XP and Vista. 

NOTE1: To get the MCE K'Board & Remote to work on XP you need to install a particular MS Hot Patch (WindowsXP-KB912024-v2-x86-ENU - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B39D53F1-0AC9-433B-B488-4CAB82F31DC8&displaylang=en ) that was part of MCE Rollup II and you then just plug in the IR receiver and it all just works. 

NOTE2: One trick is the MS Keyboard/RC use a "debounce" feature that you need to turn off in the registry if you are going to program a third party universal remote control as each key press on the MCE Remote / K'B sends alternative IR signals to prevent so called bounce but I've never had the problem.  You can turn this off inside WinMedCenter on Vista or search in the registry for "debounce"

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 02:39:14 pm »

NOTE1: To get the MCE K'Board & Remote to work on XP you need to install a particular MS Hot Patch (WindowsXP-KB912024-v2-x86-ENU - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B39D53F1-0AC9-433B-B488-4CAB82F31DC8&displaylang=en ) that was part of MCE Rollup II and you then just plug in the IR receiver and it all just works.

That download says it is only available for XP MCE.  The parent poster wants to use the remote with XP Pro, NOT MCE.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 03:03:24 pm »

That download says it is only available for XP MCE.  The parent poster wants to use the remote with XP Pro, NOT MCE.

Sorry I did not explain - while this patch was made for MCE to support their MCE IR receiver it works just fine with XP Pro and gives the driver support you need for the IR Device (note: the driver support is built into Vista)
JRiver CEO Elect

gundan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 05:39:39 pm »

Thanks all, will keep you guys posted with my attempts soon.  I am expecting the remote to show up some time next week.

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 03:10:38 pm »

I saw that hot patch but was afraid to try to load it because of the MCE requirement. I will try this now that it has been confirmed to work on XP non MCE.

I did get the IR learning to work on the remote just fine and have been using that instead of the RF. I did discover that it has very limited memory though. Gyration Tech Support said it only had something like 2k and could only learn 14 keys. I got something more than this but do not know the limit as I didn't want to push my luck. Of course only my TV had a code that worked the rest had to be learned. I first learned my Amp on the AUX and then started learning my Hauppauge on the Cable/Sat button. Just about every butoon on the TV had something assigned, I only had about 6 for my Amp, and I got through all but the last row of numbers on the number pad before it started blinking because it was out of mememory. That was when I contacted Gyration.

I ended up combining all my most used on the TV button and got and a few extras for the Amp on the Aux. So plan carefully or you will be starting over with your learning commands once it runs out of memory.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 03:16:20 pm »

As a reminder, if you're programing a uni remote from your MS MCE remote you will need to turn off "DEBOUCE"
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

gundan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 08:29:34 pm »

Hello Nathan,

Thanks for all your input.  I got the remote today and it works perfectly.  If possible, I would possibly update the wiki to say that in XP(once the Msft patch is installed) there is nothing to be done in JRiver to enable the MCE remote functionality.

I also found a bug.  After stopping playback of some video, when I hit the "back" button JR MC takes a dive south.  I am not sure what debug information is further needed.

Best,
G

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 08:57:49 pm »

Glad it works, While I'm not a JRiver bod I (like any user) can all update the wiki - see if http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Supported_Remote_Control_Devices now makes sence and please edit away if it does not.

For me the "back" button works great (takes you back one level in T'View), can you explain a little further the problem and how to repeat it (one of the JRiver guys may want to see a log file at some point)

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 09:21:24 pm »

Glad it works, While I'm not a JRiver bod I (like any user) can all update the wiki - see if http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Supported_Remote_Control_Devices now makes sence and please edit away if it does not.

Thank you very much!

j

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 09:41:32 pm »

Thank you very much!

j

John, it also might be worth adding something on the Web Site at http://www.jrmediacenter.com/remote.html
JRiver CEO Elect

gundan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 08:46:38 am »

I have guests over the next few days, I will try to write up a bug report in the next few days.  I am planning to use the IR receiver and replace the microsoft remote with my Harmony.  I am assuming I need to disable the debouncer.

Primarily I am going to be playing mkv containers, and the occasional dvd that I am backing up to the hd.  I noticed the remote shows the time slider/bookmarks one of my dvd's which I have backed up to the HD, but doesn't do that when I play the mkv containers?

Is it possible for me to do that with the remote?

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 10:04:40 am »

I know this isn't about the Gyration remote but I did try this procedure for it and does not work. It is helpful to know it works with XP and the MCE remote.

I guess you have to have the MCE remote receiver to get the driver to load. I plan to play with it a bit to see if there is a way to point the Gyration remote to the drivers loaded by this procedure w/o loading Hip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up