INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Media Streamer?  (Read 1863 times)

hillabaloo

What Media Streamer?
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:40:07 am »

Hi,  I'm looking to buy a wireless media streamer - either the Roku/Pinnacle M1001 or Home Music version, or the Logitech squeezebox.  Are there any problems with configuring with Media Centre?  Anyone have any recommendations?  Thanks

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: What Media Streamer?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 11:01:27 am »

You can do a search here for Roku or for Squeezebox...

j

johnnyboy

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 04:50:18 pm »

X-Box gen1 chipped and loaded with XBMC and then fitted with a wireless connector ;)

SAWEET!! :)

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 04:56:12 pm »

If you don't mind spending the extra money (which can be minimal with care), you can just run a full MC computer with a small LCD.  I'm still hoping to try theater view with a touch screen at some point.

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 06:23:29 pm »

I use an old smallish laptop connected to my home stereo, running MC client and pulling from MC server across my home LAN.

This works great, and lets me take advantage of MC's playback controls, which aren't always available with streaming devices that have their own playback modes. For instance, MC provides sophisticated playlist formulas, consistent volume control, and flexible transition between songs. Plus the playback computer can display cover art or other fun/colorful images synchronized with the music.

I like MC to give me "radio station" sound (my field for many years), so I use "cross-fade (aggressive)" with 2 second overlap, which approximates a "segue" (as broadcasters call the transition between songs). I'm not aware that this playback effect, which is not the same as "gapless", can be achieved using a separate media streaming device.

(BTW, the term "cross-fade (aggressive)" is a misnomer, fortunately. Cross-fading is a technique disco DJs use to keep the dance beat going, but it is not how radio stations segue songs.)

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up