INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED: Strange Behaviour in Version 403 - Screen Resolution at Start  (Read 1673 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe

I updated my version from something like version 189 to 403 and encountered strange behaviour:

1) If I change my screen font size in the options it gets changed but as soon as I start the program once again I have the old font size back - it doesn't get stored somehow
    (I uninstalled and reinstalled everything but that simply doesn't work). Bug?

2) If I set my system to 'start in TheaterView mode' it does that but with the wrong screen resolution! I have display setting set to 640x480x32 / monitor 2 and have NTSC
    output there on my graphics card (which works just fine by the way) but the first time it seems to use 800x600 or something else. As soon as I switch back to StandardView
    and back to TheaterView it works the way I need it. Bug?

3) Question: You built in the possibility to have several instances of the program running at the same time. Good. If I want to use the first program with database full I/O
  capability to update my database with new data on the main screen I would also like to give people in the house the access to play media content. But that seems to be a
  dream as the second program doesn't get focus (I can't control it by IR because the process doesn't get window focus). So I assume the only way to do this is to install
  a dedicated PC with access to the central media database server. Correct?

4) Questions: If I use the TheaterView with several zones there is no indication on the screen in which zone I'm actually 'working' - in StandardView there is this indication in the
  center of the player bar. Where and how can I make that information visible? The next question would be: what is the name of this field for creating a customized display
  view? And third question: Switching from one zone to the next with the toggle function isn't really a solution for me. Is there any way to bind zone switching to a keyboard
  key sequence or IR command? (like <ALT><CTRL><1> etc.)

5) Question: I actually use the 6 speaker output channels of my sound card (with the kx driver) as 3 pairs of stereo channels for feeding 3 zones with individual music per zone.
  An annoying factor is: when I switch one zone to another music track with smooth transition it makes the transition in all 3 zones, not just in the zone I'm working in. Would
  it be possible to restrict the transitions to the channels I actually use in this zone?

6) Question: I'm now using MC with 85'000 music tracks. Switching from 'Genre' to 'Artists' sometimes needs 3 seconds. Am I right that I can speed up this with installing faster
  memory or more memory? I think the CPU is sufficient with 2x 2.8 GHz. But my memory is 2GB of PC2-4300 and I could put in some PC2-6400 sticks... Remark?

That's all for now. Hope that wasn't too much at once.

Your program is a real cool gem. Congratulations! Very satisfied...

Martin
globetrotters

gappie

Re: Strange Behaviour in Version 403 and Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 09:01:11 am »

4) Questions: If I use the TheaterView with several zones there is no indication on the screen in which zone I'm actually 'working' - in StandardView there is this indication in the
  center of the player bar. Where and how can I make that information visible? The next question would be: what is the name of this field for creating a customized display
  view? And third question: Switching from one zone to the next with the toggle function isn't really a solution for me. Is there any way to bind zone switching to a keyboard
  key sequence or IR command? (like <ALT><CTRL><1> etc.)

i can help with a part of question 4.
for getting the zone info in theaterview change the
Code: [Select]
<Item Text="[Location]" in for instance
Code: [Select]
<Item Text="[Zone] - [Location]" you can do that by copying your theaterview skin (in the fullskins folder in mc). rename the folder and open the main.xml with notepad. change the skin name at the top and go to <text>. if this does not do the trick, say what skin you use and i can see what else should be changed.

to switch zones with you keyboard:
go to the folder where mc is installed. in the mc folder there is a folder called data. in data make a new folder called: Custom Resources
open the folder Default Resources and copy the file resource.xml to the new folder custom recources.
open the just copied recource xml with notepad.
add somewhere, for instance at the end of the file before </accelrators>, something like:

<!-- Switch zones -->
   <Entry Key="Ctrl;Alt;NumPad1" Command="10011" Param="0" />
   <Entry Key="Ctrl;Alt;NumPad2" Command="10011" Param="1" />
   <Entry Key="Ctrl;Alt;NumPad3" Command="10011" Param="2" />
   <Entry Key="Ctrl;Alt;NumPad4" Command="10011" Param="3" />

this will switch between 4 zones using the ctr alt numpad.

to use the remote, maybe you can add something there like
mc12.exe /mcc 10011,0 for zone 1
mc12.exe /mcc 10011,1 for zone 2 etc

hope it helps
gab

btw. you can find the commands used for switching zones here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Center_Core_Commands

globetrotters1

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 03:05:05 pm »

gappie, I try it out and report the results - and of course THANKS! appreciate your help
M.

Other people?
Comments?

globetrotters1

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 08:38:56 am »

anyone of the developers has some answers?

thanks

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 09:46:38 am »

JRiver was on vacation most of this week, you might try bumping this thread on Monday.

j

globetrotters1

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »

...bump-y-di-bump...

Hope you guys had wonderful Christmas days and/or vacations and feel really relaxed to answer my little questions... ::)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 03:21:30 pm »

Using MC as a client for Library Server, settings won't last between sessions.  Is that what you're doing?

Multi-topic posts don't usually get much attention.  I'd suggest taking your top two or three and starting new threads with appropriate subjects.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 03:26:18 pm »

I can't reproduce #2, by picking 800x600x32 and the startup mode as "Theater View".

Any other clues?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 05:59:41 pm »

I can't reproduce #2, by picking 800x600x32 and the startup mode as "Theater View".

Any other clues?

If I'm reading the OP right, he's trying to start theatre view in 640x480 resolution, and instead its initially defaulting to 800x600 :)

Question 6- Nothing really you can do here I'm afraid. A faster HDD or better RAM will have some effect on the pauses you're seeing, but not a very noticable one. Unfortunately, 85,000 files takes some time to process.

-Leezer-

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 06:30:55 pm »

It is very difficult to get Windows to use 640x480 because it keeps bugging you to switch to 800x600 in many cases.  I've had strange experiences with that resolution.

globetrotters1

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 10:59:30 am »

ok, guys, I start multiple topics to make it easier for everyone...

Let's talk here about the screen resolution of the NTSC output.

The screen resolution is just wrong the first time. After once switching back to standard view, re-activating theater view produces the right screen layout. It's just the first time and it's a bit annoying because we can't just start media center automatically into theater view and let it run the whole day long...

But I try something else today: I try to use 800x600x32 as the base output to the TV out connection of the graphics card. Probably that works, who knows. I report my results, stay tuned

Martin

globetrotters1

SOLVED: Strange Behaviour in Version 403 - Screen Resolution at Start
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 11:08:22 am »

Yes, I switched the display resolution of the second monitor (NTSC TV output) to 800x600x32 and had to increase the theater view output to 90% (from 75%).

Now the result looks the same as before, but alas when starting the media server it automatically starts theater view with the right resolution...

Thanks for helping me solve this little problem! Appreciated!
Pages: [1]   Go Up