INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autoplay in Vista (MC seems to disable it for some devices)  (Read 1395 times)

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
Autoplay in Vista (MC seems to disable it for some devices)
« on: December 28, 2007, 09:47:49 am »

Have recently upgraded to Vista and MC works fine. However, when MC is running and I plug in my digital camera, the Vista autoplay dialogue does not appear. We've found the import in Vista (and XP before it) a bit easier to use than MC and would like to use the Vista functionality. Only solution is to stop MC and try again. Is this configurable?

Thanks!
Alfie.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Autoplay in Vista (MC seems to disable it for some devices)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:13:12 pm »

It's not configurable, but it's two clicks to dump from a camera / memory card using Action Window > Camera.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 05:21:19 am »

This approach is ok for me but my wife finds it confusing. You have to click Options to change the directory location (we have date/tag convention for directory name). Even in this dialogue the edit box is a bit small...

A small improvement to this bit of UI would make a big difference and make MC more camera-friendly IMO.

Cheers, Alfie.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 07:39:52 am »

The way I do this is to import into MC with Camera, always to a tmp directory.

After tagging, you can use MC's Library Tools/Rename Files from Properties (check the directory option) and MC will move them to new folders according to how you've tagged the files.

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 08:11:29 am »

After tagging, you can use MC's Library Tools/Rename Files from Properties (check the directory option) and MC will move them to new folders according to how you've tagged the files.

Heh, I knew about the rename from properties feature but hadn't thought of using it in this way. However, for me doing this is a bit dangerous. Sometimes our camera clock has been wrong and the folder name is actually the best record of when a photo was taken. It'd probably be a good idea for me to fill properties from filename actually but I've been reluctant to do that too in all cases.

Either way your suggestion is still not very intuitive. I'm not knocking MC and this is a minor irritation but I still think there should be a way to turn autoplay handling off completely or provide similar behaviour to what people are used to seeing in XP/Vista.

Cheers,
Alfie.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 11:17:33 am »

You might try using something like this in the file path so that you don't need to go into options each time:
M:\Pictures\FormatDate(Now(),yyyy-MM-dd)

I agree that the edit should be wider.  It'd also be nice to make an easier interface for using tokens like that.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 05:57:55 am »

As ever I'm impressed with a new 'hidden' feature in MC (played around with a new view for landscape photos recently using functions). That's almost there but we always give a tag which goes into the directory name, eg. "My Photos/2007-12-25, Christmas".

Cheers, and happy new year!
Alfie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up