INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Denon AVR-4308 and MC12  (Read 1823 times)

Valdis

• Recent member
Denon AVR-4308 and MC12
« on: December 31, 2007, 02:15:22 pm »

I have one of the latest Denon AV receivers, AVR-4308 (latest firmware). I was very glad when, using the UPnP server setting „Experimental DLNA”, I was able to play FLAC files from MC12. But there is one rather nasty problem. If the CD has been ripped into a FLAC file with CUE sheet, then the CD plays from beginning - irrespective of which track I select in the Denon receiver interface. Maybe there is a solution to this problem?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Denon AVR-4308 and MC12
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 02:58:34 pm »

Unfortunately that is not possble.

The UPNP server provides file addresses and the client downloads the files and handles decoding & playback.

Cue tracks do not exist in a file format. They consist of playback ranges that are stored in MC's database. MC's playback engine is responsible of the sample accurate seeking when cue tracks are played. When files are served MC's playback engine is not used.

Personally, I would like to see FLAC added to the servers' conversion options. Then it would be possible to convert virtual cue tracks losslessly to physical FLAC tracks independently from the source files' encoding format.

On a fast LAN FLAC would be an ideal format because it can be streamed and the encoder is pretty fast (especially at the compression level -0).

In addition, conversion from a playback range would need to be added or fixed (I don't think it works through the server at the moment), but that would be a relatively easy task for the developers. Conversion from cue tracks is already possible locally.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:08:25 pm »

Thanks for the nice answer Alex.

Unfortunately, I don't think FLAC is supported on any UPnP devices (though I haven't looked at this in ages), so it wouldn't help if you could convert to FLAC - the devices still wouldn't play it.

Some devices do handle WAV, that's about the only lossless option I know of.

j

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:26:59 pm »

It would help with the Denon AVR-4308 UPnP client.

In addition, it would help a lot with the standard Library Server & MC clients (if cue conversion would be possible).

Wav would be fine too, but didn't it have a problem with streaming?
What happened to WMA Lossless? A couple of years ago WMA was included in the available conversion formats.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 03:59:40 pm »

I didn't know the Denon supports FLAC, cool.

Our WAV encoder doesn't stream, you are right. I'm in the middle of a compile right now, so I can't tell about WMA lossless.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up