INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Main computer reformatted, and now my laptop only has 36mb of space  (Read 3598 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

i reformatted my server, and was trying to use mediacenter on my laptop and my laptop said low disc space?
i used scanner to see what was using it up, and in c\docs and settings\username\application data\jriver\mediacenter12\read-only library there is 40 some gigs of stuff in there? how did it get in there? how do i make sure it doesnt come back? and if it got in there by itself, can i delete it with out it removing the files on my server?

Thanks so much.. i'm sweating bullets here.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Are you using the most recent build?  MC 12.0.404 is available?

HTPC4ME

Re: Main computer reformatted, and now my laptop only has 36mb of space
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 02:42:30 pm »

4.03 but ive used it for along time. is there a setting that maybe was turned on after my reformat?

i'll try the newest version, and keep an eye on the lappy. thank you Jim

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 05:53:17 pm »

In My

C:\Documents and Settings\Mark Farmer\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\

Are the Following Folders

Library
Library Backups
My Music
NewDownloads
Temp
Thumbnails

I Do Not Have A Read Only Folder
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:07:19 pm »

I only have 550mb of data on my PC for MC12 - this includes all application data and program files. Of course this does not include audio, video, and picture files.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 03:48:47 am »

ive been workin gon this all day long, i have no clue whats going on.

my laptop hasno media on it whats so ever. it connects to server wirelessly through jrivers. ive upgraded as you suggested. ive deleted those 30 gigs. left the window open and the second i open media center on laptop its starts bringing in all those files from the server?

then i close media center on laptop and i notice my HDD light flashing fast i go into task manager and media center is still runinng, go back to the folder and it's still copying all the files in there. 

ive not done anything with the settings on the laptop!! all i have done was reformated server reinstalled media center on it. is the servers media center telling the laptop hey take these files when your connect?

this makes no sense. ive never seen this before! and no its ot the point i cant even use media center on the laptop. it wont open cause its running in task manager. then i end task the incedences of it. and none are in task manager double click jrvier icon it doesnt open up but instead starts copying over all the files again?

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 04:37:22 am »

Is the 40 gigs of stuff all in a few files or lots of files?
Give the names of a few of these files.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 07:00:38 am »

Any third-party plug-ins running?  Take a look at what's running in task manager.

Library Server running?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 12:45:48 pm »

it starts to load these files in C\docs settings\user\app data\jriver\media center 12 (then it builds it's own folder named Read-Only Library) and in that it builds the folders that are on the server's Library.

on the server i have a main library called default, then another library called ryan. the ryan library is mapped. so that the server can always play default music and laptop can connect to that mapped drive if my brother wants to listen to his library.

so on laptop when he first opened jriver he would goto file library choose ryan. and it would just hang.

then he closed media center and it woud not open up again,  the following day i noticed my laptop had 36mb's left. and media center wouldn't open i used my scanner program and found out i had 40 some gigs used up in jriver appdata\ read only library.

i deleted them all. (this is on the laptop) then reopened media center and chose, search for library servers. and it loaded the Default libray on server just fine and played the files fine. then i chose load ryan, and it hung , and started copying every file\folder from the mapped drive into this read only that it made,

i'd close jriver, and HDD light was still moving then in task manager it was still running. i then ended the process of media center. and it would still run. i woke up this morning thinking i had it cleaned out, and my laptop is down to 36mb again. meaning it copied all the folder from that mapped\ryan library from server.
so out of curiosity seeing that the laptop hdd light wasnt moving i chose to open media center again, and HDD light flashes fast, and jriver won't open, amd in app\data it cleans out all those files on it's own. i'm back to having 40 gigs left on HDD, and it reloads them all without opening up JRiver! as im looking at my computer now C drive it's at 36 gigs left, oh  oh now it's at 35.6 gigs left,  and it just keeps going down until im at 36 mb, and then jriver still wont open.

I hope i described this better?

my server and lappy have ran fine for some time now, and only thing i have done was reforamtted main machine and reinstalled everything. copied over old program files\app data into appropriate folders on servers. so i'm curious if this a setting on the server? where when a client tries to connect to a library it just downloads the files, instead of the way it works when you choose search for library servers.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

also to add!!

When i try to reboot laptop

i get a end program error,( I just noticed this now Sorry ) J river Player Zone so i hit end now box disappears

i wait for computer to reboot, and another one pops up end program J river player zone, i hit nd now pops up again,  and then FINALLY laptop reboots.

and when laptop reboots, it is EXTREMELY SLOW!

all my programs load, antivirus etc. and becuase jrivers is set to start in msconfig, JRiver doesnt open up. it just starts redownloading that stuff back into read only library.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 01:07:08 pm »

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 01:21:57 pm »

The read-only directory is used for a copy of the library when it cannot be opened in read-write mode.
If someone else is using your mapped library, then when you start MC, it will copy the mapped library to the read-only directory and load that.
If you look at the path that specifies the mapped library, I'll bet you find all those files in it. That is why they are getting copied over.
But it sounds like you've got a few things going wrong with your installation: for some reason the library is only being loaded in read-only mode.

First: check the library folder, make sure it is pointing at the correct location. Next make sure the library folder doesn't contain 40 gigs of stuff.

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 01:37:18 pm »

ok the ryan libray on server is only 1.82MB

On laptop i went to my computer disconnected map network drive. and BAM

Media center opens up, i chose search for library servers. it connected IMMEDIATELLY as usua. and i chose a playlist videos and hit play and it works flawlessly!

so it's a mapped network issue!

Any ideas? suggestions?

Is there a way for me to take the mapped network drive out of the equation?

So server can always have default library, and laptop can connect to whatever library it wants? or must i have mapped network drive? if so what am i doing wrong?

Thank you.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 02:14:16 pm »

Go into library manager, and edit the entry for Ryan's library (the shared network drive library). Is the directory entry correct? If it is wrong (perhaps the entire drive), that could cause trouble.

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 02:41:25 pm »

ok in library manager this is what it says for location

C:\Documents and Settings\joeblow\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\ryan

Ryan Library files are on F drive, and Then i have a map network drive named Z. which points to the F drive

In mediacenter for auto import i have to have  it search for F and Z (which i always thought was weird! why for one do i have to have a map network drive? and 2 why can't i have media center auto import\have a library for just one of those drives?

Ryan is the same location as default (i just made a new folder)

Default Library on Server

C:\Documents and Settings\joeblow\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library

default library files are on E drive, and G drive.

Any ideas? Further input? Suggestions? thanks

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 02:53:33 pm »

This is not a network file. It's on your C drive.

When you say:
on the server i have a main library called default, then another library called ryan. the ryan library is mapped. so that the server can always play default music and laptop can connect to that mapped drive if my brother wants to listen to his library.
What do you mean? Is there a library on the server (on a networked drive)? Or is the content on the server?

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 03:05:39 pm »

Quote from: xtacbyme on Today at 02:41:25 PM

This is not a network file. It's on your C drive.

above ^^^ thats my server. and all my files are stored on server, and that is where media center says the library is located for the DEFAULT library.

And for Ryans when i made his library on Server, it asked for location and then brought up the tree. so i choose same location and made a new folder calling it Ryan. so when on server and ryan wants his stuff he clicks file library ryan. and all his files load. but then when he is on laptop.

He couldnt connect to his files\library because on server it was set to default (meaning my librar)

So i had to goto My computer right click choose mapnetwork drive, it made drive letter Z then i had to browse to which i wanted to map i choose ryans HDD, and it made it. then in media center for location i chose for the location this > C:\Documents and Settings\joeblow\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\ryan

does that explain it better?

What i'm trying to say is. one... it sucks i have to map a drive, and by doing so in auto import JUST FOR ryans sake, i have to have double files of everything, cause in the ryans library on server, it finds the files on F drive, but those ownt show up when he's on laptop, So i have to map the f Drive and make a Z drive(meaning the mapped one) and then import all the files from Z and make playlists etc for him..

But now thats theory doesn work either. cause the laptop is downloading the files instead of connecting.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 04:17:41 pm »

I don't understand what you did, but I think I know what you are trying to do. The easiest way to do this (except for merging the two libraries) is to run two instances of Media Center on the server, one with your library, one with Ryan's. Then the laptop can choose which one to connect to and you don't need to map network drives.

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

ok. thats sounds fabulous!!

few questions going that route.. i still get Jscript errors everytime i do use 2 incedences the error is always this...
Jscript error
code = 800a1391
code meaning=unknown error 0x800A1391
Source = Microsoft Jscript runtime error
Description = MjAutomation is undefined.

Also when running 2 incedences it will always give me the error that library is in use and will be read only mode. when it first starts up . is there away to have 2 media centers start windows at same time, with one loading one library and the other loading the other library? with out errors as well?

THIS WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER!!!! AND BE FLAWLESS OPERATION ;)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 04:45:02 pm »

i use a program called desktop sidebar which allows multiple incedences to run and it starts with windows and and one loads with its own colors skin on left side, and other side its own option colors and skins.

i have the text file from them on how to make it work. could that be implemted with jriver?

if so... can i post that info here? or send it to someone so i can implement that for ease of use?

thank you.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 05:43:01 pm »

I don't know where you are getting the jscript error, can you provide more details?

When you start the second instance of Media Center, it will start with the same library as the first, giving the warning message about not saving changes. But then switch to a different library, and you will not be in read-only mode.

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 06:10:08 pm »

steps I use for jriver on server!

start computer, media server is in taskbar by clock, click on show media center, media center opens\works flawlessly

then in taskbar by start menu i click on media center again to open another incedence of it. i get the library will be in read mode, then this pops up....
Jscript error
code = 800a1391
code meaning=unknown error 0x800A1391
Source = Microsoft Jscript runtime error
Description = MjAutomation is undefined.

then i hit ok and it goes away, then 2nd media center incedence opens up and the error pops up again, i hit ok and then they both work flawlessly. Then i choose ryan as one library, and the other doesnt need to be changed cause it loads the default.

I just thought of something... your suggestion won't work!?

How can i have 2 incedence of jriver running on mediacenter and try to connect to the server from laptop? it will get confussed?!

when i connect to the server's default library from laptop which again on the server it's
C:\Documents and Settings\Xtacy\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library

it loads the default library becuase i choose search for library servers.

now if 2 incedences are running and one incendence is ryan, and one is default, and i choose search for library servers. how does it know which one i want it. meaning ryan or default?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 06:13:51 pm »

Can you copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here?

Are you running any third party programs or plug-ins that access MC?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 06:20:35 pm »

Media Center Registered 12.0.410 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 4096 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2095 MB, Free - 1550 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright ᄅ 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive I:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive X:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Y:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive Y: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-111D   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active/Enabled)
  TiVo Server
  UPnP Server
  What I'm Listening To (Active)

as far as thrird party plug ins. only plugins i use are whats on your site and ive always used them with no problems. gforce, skins, direct x.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 06:21:29 pm »

Uninstall:
What I'm Listening To (Active)

and

last.fm.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 06:25:16 pm »

ok jim.. beforw doing that.. if i may ask?

have you read my other replies in regards to running 2 incedences and if it will work as Gateley suggests?

Or do i have to do the map network drive?

just so im on the same page as both of you   ;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 06:32:02 pm »

I don't think the javascript error is ours.  That's why I said you should uninstall.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 06:39:03 pm »

ok i uninstalled what im listening to. but ive never had problems with it  ?.

the last fm it wont let me uninstall? it's greyed out?

And since i was just in service plugins in i noticed under library server on second incedence. that it says
01/14/08 16:26:43 - JRiver Library Server Version 1.0.38 starting...
01/14/08 16:26:43 - Starting Auto Detect beacon
01/14/08 16:26:43 - Failed to start sharing

So to my other questions about running 2 incedences.. how would this work?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 08:20:06 pm »

I just thought of something... your suggestion won't work!?

How can i have 2 incedence of jriver running on mediacenter and try to connect to the server from laptop? it will get confussed

Run the two library servers on two different ports. Each MC will only serve out the library it is currently using.

This is not the smoothest solution. The smoothest would be to use one library for both people, and use some other method to choose what songs you want to play. I use a couple of custom fields: "John's Genre" and "Ann's Genre", to rate songs according to my or my wife's taste.

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 08:27:59 pm »

ok that makes sesne:)

now next question is... can i have two servers start with windows? meaning one being port 80 one being port 81?

and if so. how do i tell laptop which one to use?

Say ryan wants to connect to his. or mine. he'd be using file library search for servers. how do ya tell laptop which server to search for his\ryan or mine default? it will still be confussed. because it will see 2 diffrent servers... one being 80 and one being 81.

thank you for your patience and persistace with this issue btw.

much appreciated.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 08:53:39 pm »

You'll have to start the servers manually (or just check to see which is which). A search will return both, and he'll have to choose which. That's why this isn't the smoothest way of doing things, and you should consider just having one library.

j

HTPC4ME

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 09:11:22 pm »

so everytime i reboot machine, one will default to 80

then i have to open an incedent goto library server, and choose a diffrent port, then use latop and choose search for servers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up