INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skinning question (grid line color)  (Read 2979 times)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Skinning question (grid line color)
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

I'd like to modify the color of the gridlines used within a skin. But I don't know what I have to modify. I think it should be set up in "main.xml", but I can't figure where exactly I have to change the color value.

Thanks for reply!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Skinning question (grid line color)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:19:26 pm »

Try importing the directory for any skin in MC.  You can see the individual components that make it up.  This might help.

Beatnik62

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I like music ...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 03:02:37 pm »

I'd like to modify the color of the gridlines used within a skin. But I don't know what I have to modify. I think it should be set up in "main.xml", but I can't figure where exactly I have to change the color value.

StFeder,

you are right, you may have a look into the <LIST> section of the "main.xml" file. There you will find the Gridline="RRGGBB" parameter which defines the color of the gridlines in a view.

Beatnik

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 07:05:46 am »

Thanks for replying, but I don't get it working for me. I want to change just one of the colors I marked with "color 1" and "color 2".

With some skins I use, standard noire e.g., I don't see the gridline, even if "View Gridlines" is activated in the options. It just looks like this:

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 07:32:00 am »

I created a modified version of Noire's main.xml file a couple of months ago. It has a bit darker gridlines, but unfortunately I don't remember what I changed. The file is in the attached zip file if you want to compare it with the original. (Maybe you could report back if you find the difference.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gappie

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 07:32:42 am »

under list in the main xml you have a line wich starts with color. make the colour for Back and the colour for gridlineback the same

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 08:02:10 am »

under list in the main xml you have a line wich starts with color. make the colour for Back and the colour for gridlineback the same
Yeah, this did the trick. I hadn't got a value for "GridlineBack" in my Main.xml. Neither in "noire", where I couldn't even see a difference between color 1 and 2, nor in "Aruba", where I could see the horizontal gridlines as you can see on my pic. I just had to add the value "GridlineBack="xxyyzz" to the color line you and Beatnik mentioned and it works fine.

I think there should be another way to reach the goal, because "aruba" does it without having this value, but I don't care ;) Thank you for supporting me with this!

I created a modified version of Noire's main.xml file a couple of months ago. It has a bit darker gridlines, but unfortunately I don't remember what I changed. The file is in the attached zip file if you want to compare it with the original. (Maybe you could report back if you find the difference.)
I tried this out, but it didn't have an effect... sorry, but the horizontal grids stayed invisible for me. There was no "GridlineBack" value in your version. Adding this did the trick with your file also.

gappie

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:19:12 am »

Yeah, this did the trick. I hadn't got a value for "GridlineBack" in my Main.xml. Neither in "noire", where I couldn't even see a difference between color 1 and 2, nor in "Aruba", where I could see the horizontal gridlines as you can see on my pic. I just had to add the value "GridlineBack="xxyyzz" to the color line you and Beatnik mentioned and it works fine.

i remember now that it is not standard in the skins. when you do a search for gridlineback, youll stumble over some posts a year ago where somebody posted about it. have it in my skin since then.  :)

gab

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:32:47 am »

I tried this out, but it didn't have an effect... sorry, but the horizontal grids stayed invisible for me. There was no "GridlineBack" value in your version. Adding this did the trick with your file also.

I adjusted the color very slightly. If Noire really has white background behind the tree on your display device then my adjustment is too small for you.

I attached a screenshot. One of the images has darker gridline color. I guess you can't see any difference, but if you open the file in an image editor you can measure it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 09:10:55 am »

I compared the original and my modified file. These are the differences:

Original
<FRAME>
   <Colors Text="484E59" DisabledText="C8C8C8" Face3D="f0f0f0" Shadow3D="DFDFDF" Hilight3D="FBFBFB" />

<LIST>
   <Colors Text="484E59" Back="FFFFFF" SelectedText="132243" SelectedBack="e3f8ff" HotText="000000" Gridline="f0f0f0" />

Modified
<FRAME>
   <Colors Text="484E59" DisabledText="C8C8C8" Face3D="e2e2e2" Shadow3D="DFDFDF" Hilight3D="D0D0D0" />

<LIST>
   <Colors Text="484E59" Back="FFFFFF" SelectedText="132243" SelectedBack="e3f8ff" HotText="000000" Gridline="E0E0E0" />

I used trial and error method and I don't know which change did the trick or if all three changes are needed.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 09:25:32 am »

I adjusted the color very slightly. If Noire really has white background behind the tree on your display device then my adjustment is too small for you.

I attached a screenshot. One of the images has darker gridline color. I guess you can't see any difference, but if you open the file in an image editor you can measure it.

Wow, you're freak :D I have to LCD Screens and cannot see the gridlines. Modifing the picture you attached in an editor makes them visible. I need a greater contrast because either my eyes are to bad or my LCD-Panels ;)

I compared the original and my modified file. These are the differences:
[...]
I used trial and error method and I don't know which change did the trick or if all three changes are needed.

I did the test I found: modifing Face3D does change the gridline color also, but it changes the tooltip/quickinfo background as well, so for me it's not the best way, because I like to use darker gridlines, but I love tooltip backgrounds to be bright ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up