INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When addings songs to playlist, entire library gets added instead.  (Read 6689 times)

bbmpperry

• Recent member

When I am adding songs to a playlist in MC-12, frequently what happens is that the whole library will get added to the playlist that I'm working with. Not sure how this happens, but it seems to be happening when I add a song by clicking and dragging, I then look in the playlist to see if it's been added to discover that my whole library is in there.

I would love to fix this problem without having to reinstall the software.

Any suggestions or other solved problems that match this one?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: When addings songs to playlist, entire library gets added instead.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 03:59:54 pm »

Undo (CTRL-Z) will fix a lot of problems like this.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:07:44 pm »

I appreciate the suggestion and I have just tried that, but unfortunately, that does not do anything when adding songs to a playlist.

Thanks for the suggestion

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:09:10 pm »

Ctrl+Z only undoes tagging changes.

Please make sure you're using the latest version from the top of this board.

If it continues to happen, please try to pinpoint exactly what action causes this.  Dragging should only include selected tracks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:11:24 pm »

The latest version of MC-12 you mean?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 04:16:38 pm »

The latest version of MC-12 you mean?

Yes.  Build 410.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 11:36:02 am »

Ok, I did the update to build 410.  Restarted the machine.  Same problem.  On about the 4th song that is added (I'm adding to the playlist section. the edit playlist in action window is open too) I'll look in the action window to see that practically the whole library is added.

I've tried to duplicate the situation... checking to see if maybe a hand is on the keyboard, or if Im right-clicking or scroll wheel clicking....none of these scenarios can duplicate the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »

Could you explain exactly how you're building the playlist, so we can try to reproduce it. (i.e. drag-n-drop from where, to where or clipboard, or right-click Send To, etc.)

Thanks.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 04:30:00 pm »

Sure.

I'm creating a playlist in the playlist window/frame.  I'm then dragging and dropping from the library window (with all the songs listed on the right)... careful to only select one song at a time, into the playlist window (not the edit playlist clipboard).  The Edit Playlist in Action Window window is open, but I'm not using it to drop the songs into.... I'm just dragging the song(s) from the library window and dropping them (one at a time) onto the playlist (with the green icon).

After anywhere from 1 to 4 songs are added, I'll take a look in the playlist (to see if they've been successfully added) to discover that pretty much my whole library (22,000 + songs) or close to it has been added.

Thanks for the help, again. :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 08:26:09 pm »

I'm not able to reproduce this.

Can anyone else reproduce it?  Any other tips?

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 10:15:34 am »

Yes, it's tempermental.  I have tried to reproduce, but it has a mind of it's own.

I'm going to just do a reinstall.  I've exported all my playlists, so I can reimport no problem.

Thanks for trying to help.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
Did a reinstall to find that my exported playlists were written over
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 05:04:46 pm »

well I did my reinstall.  That went well, but then I discovered that my exported playlists were deleted during the reinstall....fun!  So any suggestions, short of data recovery, as to getting those back would be appreciated.

Since playlists could possibly get exported due to a need to reinstall, maybe JR could give the user the option of saving them to a different locale.  Currently, the user is not given an option as to where to save the exported (M3U) playlists.

Thanks

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 05:10:55 pm »

You can export a single playlist to a user specified location.  But not Export All Playlists.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 05:13:22 pm »

Wow!  I did a reinstall....same problem.  And now, it's happening on two computers (I oversee the archiving needs of a publishing company in Nashville, TN - we have about 8-10 licenses for MC-12).  Both computers are Dell Latitudes; Intel Core 2 Duo (T7300@2.00GHZ); 1.67-1.99 GHZ; plenty of RAM.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 05:16:15 pm »

Apologies.... I accidentally hit POST.

Anyway... both are running XP - 2002; Service Pack 2.

Same problem as I stated before on both machines now.  See above symptoms from previous post(s), please.  Again, this is continuing to happen even after a complete reinstall of MC-12 (yes, build 410).

Any ideas as to possible software conflicts?

Thanks for the help

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Did a reinstall to find that my exported playlists were written over
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 05:22:36 pm »

Since playlists could possibly get exported due to a need to reinstall, maybe JR could give the user the option of saving them to a different locale.  Currently, the user is not given an option as to where to save the exported (M3U) playlists.

All playlists are included in a library back up file.  (File > Library > Back Up Library)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 05:25:39 pm »

Ugh!.. sorry Alex, I should have been specific.  Thanks though for that bit.... it'll prob. come in handy.

The problem that is continuing is this one:

Sure.

I'm creating a playlist in the playlist window/frame.  I'm then dragging and dropping from the library window (with all the songs listed on the right)... careful to only select one song at a time, into the playlist window (not the edit playlist clipboard).  The Edit Playlist in Action Window window is open, but I'm not using it to drop the songs into.... I'm just dragging the song(s) from the library window and dropping them (one at a time) onto the playlist (with the green icon).

After anywhere from 1 to 4 songs are added, I'll take a look in the playlist (to see if they've been successfully added) to discover that pretty much my whole library (22,000 + songs) or close to it has been added.

Thanks for the help, again. :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 05:44:42 pm »

I understood what you described. Unfortunately I can't provide a solution.

I tried to reproduce the behavior, but couldn't.

I wonder if a log file could reveal something. You can enable logging in the Help menu. You could open and save the log to some new location immediately after the problem has occured. Matt from JRiver would probably like to see it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 05:59:57 pm »

I will activate the logs and send to you ASAP.  Thanks for the help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 06:10:38 pm »

Yes, it's tempermental.  I have tried to reproduce, but it has a mind of it's own.
I wonder if you're double clicking or something similar.  Right clicking?  It has to be something like that.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 09:30:14 am »

Hey Jim, I got it to do it again....no, I am not double or right-clicking.  And this time, I had the logging turned on.  I need to send you the log file.  How can I do that?

This problem is ONLY occuring on the Dell Latitudes.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 10:24:51 am »

Not sure how this happens, but it seems to be happening when I add a song by clicking and dragging, I then look in the playlist to see if it's been added to discover that my whole library is in there.
I don't think you need to send a log.  I don't believe there is a bug here.  What is most likely is that you're doing something more than you believe.

For instance, if the group of songs you were clicking in (to drag) were already selected, what you see is what we would expect.  It would be normal.

If it only occurs on one computer, it could be mouse magic.  Often mice have their own special software that adds new features.  A tap on a mousepad, for instance might do something unexpected.  If it's in this area, disabling mouse software may be possible.  Try a google search for similar problems if you suspect this.

Again, I'm just about certain that there isn't a bug in this area.  Anything is possible.  It just isn't likely.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 10:34:51 am »

Hey Jim, I appreciate the advice, but I can guarantee you there is only a single-click on a single-song.  There is NO selecting of multiple songs and then dragging those into a playlist....it is ONLY a single song at a time.  I'm very meticulous, very careful... I am testing out the problem myself.  This is happening to two of our song pluggers and they are getting very frustrated.  One has already gone back to iTunes, the other is wanting to.  I have personally duplicated the problem on both machines and I can assure you that there is NO double-clicking, NO selecting of a group of songs to drag into the playlist. On top of that, they are both using USB mouses - not trackpads... 3 people are getting the same problem - 2 of our song pluggers and me.

I would greatly appreciate it if I could give you the log.  One of your beta testers made that suggestion.

Thanks

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 10:37:26 am »

Again, this is happening on two computers.  Both computers are Dell Latitudes; Intel Core 2 Duo (T7300@2.00GHZ); 1.67-1.99 GHZ; plenty of RAM.

both are running XP - 2002; Service Pack 2.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 11:33:06 am »

bbmpperry: the same thing happened to me the other day.  I was creating a playlist to throw songs into that would be included (by instructing a smartlist to include songs from that playlist) and another PL where I would drag-and-drop songs to be excluded.  I would do this on the fly as a way to refine the playlist as I listened. 

I also had a criteria that the smartlist would not play anythign I'd played recently. 

One day I clicked on my smartlist to find it empty.  I thought that I must have left it playing and now everything had been flagged as recently played.  So I went in and lowered the no. days from 7 to 2, but in the end the problem was that I had added my entire library to my exclude list.

Like you, I am sure that I was dragging single songs and with a simple click-drag-drop action.  I don’t know how I ended up adding the entire library.

Luckily the songs were listed in the playlist in the order that I had added them, and I could go through and find approximately where my intentionally added tracks started so that I could remove the 24,000 other tracks that had been added by mistake.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

Hey Peter, I really appreciate this input.... this might very well be the problem.  I know about smartlists, but am by far, an expert with them. 

Could you please simplify for me the steps that I might need to take to correct the problem that I'm facing (which sounds like the one you had)?  FYI, I really haven't set up any playlists.  The only ones I have are the ones that are there by default.

Thanks so much for the help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 01:04:40 pm »

Peter,
What kind of PC are you using?  Is it also a notebook?

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 03:05:53 pm »

Ok, I prob. sound like a dummie.  I now understand what Peter was saying, and it does sound indeed like he is having the same problem.  I thought he was saying that the prob. might be arising due to to a smartlist setting. 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 03:33:41 pm »

What options you have set in General > Behavior?

I am just thinking something like: "add a file to a playlist" and "add all visible files to Playing Now" happening simultanously and somehow going wrong... maybe because of a bad touchpad mouse driver or a similar problem.

When I suggested examining a log I thought it could possibly reveal if anything like I described above is happening. It should be able to tell the exact order in which the program actions happened.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 03:43:50 pm »

Have you, by the way, tried the right-click > Send To > Playlist... command? Does the same problem occur when you try it?

EDIT

Righ-click > Send To is a very useful tool, especially if you set the "Right-click recent command count" setting to 8 in Options > Tree & View > Advanced.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 03:46:59 pm »

No, I have not put songs into a playlist using the right-click feature you mentioned.

How do I insert an image into my reply?  I see the insert image button, but it only gives me a bit of what looks like html code.  What do I do next?

I want to give you a screen shot.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 04:00:42 pm »

How do I insert an image into my reply?  I see the insert image button, but it only gives me a bit of what looks like html code.  What do I do next?

I want to give you a screen shot.

The image button adds img tags around a web address. For example:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://aValidWebAddress.com/images/screenshot.jpg[/img]
You need to have the image hosted somewhere. If you don't already have a host you can use MC and JRiver's pix01.com service. JimH explains the system here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=10029.msg280425#msg280425

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 05:28:17 pm »

Hey Alex, here is a screen shot of my settings:

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 05:33:21 pm »

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 05:38:33 pm »

You need to check the actual image address. (tip: right-click the image in your browser)

Here's the code for the above image:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.pix01.com/gallery/D177A295-CE11-4D79-AAC1-A4A9366EF571/bbmpperry/image_orig0.jpg[/img]

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 05:41:05 pm »

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 05:42:15 pm »

Ok, my tech. expertise is in audio engineering......  I did it!  (Patting myself on the back right now:))

I'm sure you'll tell me what you think when you get it.

Thanks for the help

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 05:58:07 pm »

As a test, could you try the following settings?

Also, I would like to know if the excess files that are added to the playlist are exactly the files that are visible in the view on the right side. You said that MC adds a big amount of files, but not necessarily each and every library file (if I understood correctly).

You could experiment with a view that contains a small amount a files, 20-30 or so. For example, select only one artist in the top pane or thumbnail view and then try to add individual files to a playlist.

Twit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 09:23:55 pm »

Just to back up this guy, I have seen the same problem as well.

I usually click the song first and then do the click and drag - This seems to 'overcome' the problem.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2008, 03:06:17 am »

I think I found something.

This is the start situation. I have 305 files in the active view scheme. In AW I have my target playlist, "Temp". It is empty.

I left-click dragged an unselected file to the playlist and I tried to be a bit clumsy. Just after starting the drag operation I "accidentally" clicked the right mouse button once (while keeping the left button pressed). I released the left button when the mouse pointer was over the Temp playlist in the tree. MC added all 305 files to the playlist:

Here is the log. I can see three separate "File insertion" events. Shouldn't there be only one? What does "CMainUIWnd::Resize" mean? Also, the CD events are odd. Why are they happening?

I can reproduce the behavior and create a similar new log.

Media Center; Version: 12.0.426; Types: 16383
0013953: 3964: General: Starting logging: Date: 1.2.2008 10:27
0013953: 3964: General: Log Reset: Logging reset
0001922: 3964: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0025750: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Start
0025750: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Finish (0 ms)
0025750: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Start
0025750: 3964: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Start
0025765: 3964: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Finish (15 ms)
0025765: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Finish (15 ms)
0025765: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: Start
0025765: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: dwError=0x15, nRetries=3
0025781: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: dwError=0x15, nRetries=2
0025781: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: DeviceIoControl returns err=0x15
0025781: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: Finish (16 ms)
0025781: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: Start
0025781: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: dwError=0x15, nRetries=3
0025797: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: dwError=0x15, nRetries=2
0025797: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: DeviceIoControl returns err=0x15
0025797: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: Finish (16 ms)
0025797: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: Start
0025797: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: dwError=0x15, nRetries=3
0025797: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: dwError=0x15, nRetries=2
0025797: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: DeviceIoControl returns err=0x15
0025797: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: Finish (0 ms)
0025797: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: Start
0025812: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: dwError=0x15, nRetries=3
0025812: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: dwError=0x15, nRetries=2
0025812: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: DeviceIoControl returns err=0x15
0025812: 3964: CD: CCDInfo::MMCDriveReady: Finish (15 ms)
0025969: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Start
0025984: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Finish (15 ms)
0025984: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Start
0025984: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Finish (0 ms)
0025984: 3964: General: CMJSearchWnd::UpdatePanes: Start
0026078: 3964: General: CMJSearchWnd::UpdatePanes: Finish (94 ms)
0026078: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Start
0026094: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Finish (16 ms)
0026094: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Start
0026094: 3964: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Finish (0 ms)
0032156: 3964: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Menu showing
0033797: 3964: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Menu showing
0035297: 3964: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0035297: 3964: General: RunProgram: Start
0035297: 3964: General: RunProgram: Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\AB\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Log.txt / Parameters:
0035328: 3964: General: RunProgram: Running...
0035328: 3964: General: RunProgram: Finish (31 ms)

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2008, 09:50:12 am »

Hi Guys,

Nope - not using a laptop.  I'm using an HP desktop from their slimline line of PCs.  WinXP SP2, pretty standard config. 

I would be pretty surprised if I had right-clicked before dragging my tunes, but it is possible. 

The problem doesn't happen all the time - in fact, it rarely happens.   But I check my destination playlists all the time now after dragging a song or a group of songs.

Maybe I'll start using the right click->send to option...

DarkPenguin

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2008, 10:32:21 am »

The Alex B issue should be fixed in 428.  Right clicking would kill the drag and start a new one from the selected item in the tree.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2008, 11:28:10 am »

OK.  Thanks to all for your help and input on this issue.  It was very frustrating.  I greatly appreciate your help, Jim.  Especially to Alex.... thanks for sort of making this issue your issue.

I actually believe we may have solved it.  I disabled both the track pad and pointer stick for both laptops.  After reading about Alex's discovery when "right-clicking" while dragging, I tried it out.  I knew, though, that I wasn't doing that.... BUT, I also figured (thanks to Jim) that there may very well be something buggy and qwerky with the Dell Latitude track pad and pointer stick (why are they doing both now??? - I thought the pointer stick was way out-dated.).... anyway, I tested on both laptops extensively and MC-12 seems to be behaving normally now.

Will try to keep you posted.:)

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »

UGH!!!!  Not solved.  But I have some specifics for you folks....

-It only happens when "Edit Playlist in Action Window" is open.  Not when it is closed
-It only happens on "certain" songs... in my most recent, a song that starts with the letter "w".  Always a certain song called "What Difference Does It Make".  And sometimes on othe "w" songs.
-It only happens when the playlist that I am dropping the song into from the library window is parallel or slightly below the song location in the library....NOT above....ever.

I am collecting a screen shot of the last "condition". 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2008, 12:28:22 pm »

Are you using build 428?

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2008, 12:30:54 pm »

Working on getting the IT guy to do that... hands are tied til he does.  I will test the same conditions when that is done.

Thanks, Jim.

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2008, 04:00:36 pm »

Ok, Jim.  I think you'll find this interesting.... I do anyway.

Installed build 428.  It doesn't do it anymore... but here is what it does now, and read on to find out how I resolved it.

It won't import the entire library anymore, but what it does is drop the song on the way over (while dragging and dropping) so that nothing goes into the playlist.

There are definite "zones" that must be dragged across in order for it to "blunder"....

My view scheme order was "Name", "Composer", "Date Imported", so on and so on.  IF I resize the "Name" column (from the default size) - stretching it wider from left to right and then save it as My View Scheme... problem solved.  For now anyway.

Just FYI.

So obviously it has something to do with a right-click blunder that was fixed in 428.

Thanks

DarkPenguin

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2008, 04:32:24 pm »

If you hit the right mouse button while dragging and dropping it will stop the previous drop.  It will not start another one.  (Which is what was happening before.)

Ok, Jim.  I think you'll find this interesting.... I do anyway.

Installed build 428.  It doesn't do it anymore... but here is what it does now, and read on to find out how I resolved it.

It won't import the entire library anymore, but what it does is drop the song on the way over (while dragging and dropping) so that nothing goes into the playlist.

There are definite "zones" that must be dragged across in order for it to "blunder"....

My view scheme order was "Name", "Composer", "Date Imported", so on and so on.  IF I resize the "Name" column (from the default size) - stretching it wider from left to right and then save it as My View Scheme... problem solved.  For now anyway.

Just FYI.

So obviously it has something to do with a right-click blunder that was fixed in 428.

Thanks

bbmpperry

• Recent member
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2008, 04:36:47 pm »

That's correct.  But I was NOT physically hitting the right mouse button with my finger.  Could be a qwirk w/ the Dell Latitudes.  Something is buggy more than likely with the laptops that this problem occurs on.

BUT... there is also something interesting about how I resolved the issue.  Don't you think?

<<<My view scheme order was "Name", "Composer", "Date Imported", so on and so on.  IF I resize the "Name" column (from the default size) - stretching it wider from left to right and then save it as My View Scheme... problem solved.  For now anyway.>>>

Pages: [1]   Go Up