INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vista Ultimate Color Scheme Has Changed Issue.  (Read 3129 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Vista Ultimate Color Scheme Has Changed Issue.
« on: January 25, 2008, 05:12:18 pm »

i'm using vista ultimate. everytime i do an auto import, or choose certan libraries the screen flickers black, and i get the windows color scheme has changed. i t doesnt continuelly through the whole library updat eprocess, and i can't do anything with windows at all cause its constantly flashing

Ive turned off uac, and also went into group policy's and disbled the secure desktop but it stilldoes it?
I've searched google for 3 days now and spent hours trying to fix this! it also happend when selecting orwatching certain videos too. I uninstalled vista codecs, and tried the codecs that have always worked for the KLMega codecs, and it seems to run smother, but i still get the black flickering screen and windows color scheme has changed periodically.

Any vista users experiencing the same thing wih J rivers? Found a Fix?

Thank you.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Vista Ultimate Color Scheme Has Changed Issue.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 05:29:07 pm »

Haven't seen that with MC itself. Sounds like some video codec you're using isn't compatible with the Aero desktop. Anytime an application like this runs, Vista automatically switches off Aero and you get that message.

I'm sure glynor's really the one to talk to about this, but if you can determine which files are causing the issue and what codec/filters MC is using to play those files, I'm willing to be that's your culprit.

FWIW, I installed the CCCP, haven't had any issues under Vista, and am able to play all of my video files.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:37:15 pm »

link please for the cccp version you use?

its worth an uninstall reoot and install to try yours, im completelly lost on what to do.

i love vista just this scheme change thing i wish i could shut off.

i want to be able to tell vista if i want my machine to crash. not have vista tell me.lol

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

This looks like it's actually newer than the one I have installed, but not by much.

http://cccp.project357.com/Combined-Community-Codec-Pack-2008-01-24.exe

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 05:43:42 pm »

ty, will try that.. any install suggestions? custom install instructions?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 05:46:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure I just stuck with the defaults.

Check out glynor's DirectShow guide on the wiki. He did an amazing job of explaining all of this stuff.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 05:57:16 pm »

ok thank you. i wll search for his wikki

here are the screen captures

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 05:35:04 pm »

The only time I've had that happen with MC was when a CODEC, filter, or splitter was not Vista friendly.  Can't remember now which one it was for sure but I think it was an older version of the quicktime-lite codec.  Remove all of your CODECS, filters, and splitters.  Then install the current CCCP. Then see if it is still happening.  If not, add back any additional items you need one at a time (make sure to grab the latest version of each) to see what might be causing the problem.  My guess is that if you remove everything and then re-install the current versions the problem will go away.

johnnyboy

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 07:23:52 pm »

What types of files are you importing?
I think this will probably help narrow down the issue.
At a guess, I'd guess you're importing .avi divx files as I know some of the older divx codec's weren't Vista compatible.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 07:39:20 pm »

files types?

It's doing an auto import, so all types of pictures ext's. video ext's. and music ext's.
bmp, jpeg, png, gif, etc.... avi wmv, mpeg mpg mkv, mov, mp4 etc.... mp3, flac, ape, wma etc....

and it's not playing or nothing. just doing the library import.

i tried the cccp, but it wouldn't play a few of my files, so i'm back to the klite mega codecs pack.

and it still flashes wehn importing\checking the library:(

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 01:08:04 am »

and it's not playing or nothing. just doing the library import.

When MC imports the files, it has to look in them to see what they are.  To look in them, it has to use the necessary CODEC/filter/splitter.  There is a 99% likelyhood that one of these on your system is non-Vista friendly and is causing your issue.

Trust me (having gone through this myself):  The ONLY way to fix the issue is to figure out what is causing the problem.  You have two choices:
1)  Remove ALL CODECs/Filters/Splitters from your system, then reinstall them one at a time.   Personally I would start with CCCP then manually add any additional items needed for your oddball files.

2)  Remove all the files from the auto-import folder(s).  Then add them back one group at a time - not by extension  but by actual CODEC used to encode the data.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 07:10:10 am »

and it still flashes when importing\checking the library:(
That's probably one of the filters.  Maybe for a movie.  Try importing one file type at a time.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 08:19:40 pm »

That's probably one of the filters.  Maybe for a movie.  Try importing one file type at a time.

Filetype, in itself, won't mean anything. Many different codecs can be used to create the same filetype. Take ago for instance. Could be any of a number of codecs that went into creating an avi file. And in this case it's whatever app is doing the decoding that's causing this issue.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 09:11:36 pm »

i guess my question is...

where does codecs or decoding become an issue when using auto import? these files are NOT being played, they are just being imported, thumbnails are being built. how this can effect the color scheme i dont understand. all J river is doing is scanning the locations of these files? is it not?

gappie

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 04:48:01 am »

i guess my question is...

where does codecs or decoding become an issue when using auto import? these files are NOT being played, they are just being imported, thumbnails are being built. how this can effect the color scheme i dont understand. all J river is doing is scanning the locations of these files? is it not?
no, it is also building the thumbnails. that is where the codecs can become an issue. in my simple understanding, i would say that the mc open the files a bit to peek in to get a picture for the thumbs. it needs the codecs to open it up.
 :)

johnnyboy

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 05:06:13 am »

Not only the thumbnails but details like dimensions, length, etc.
It obviously has to read the file to get these.

Just import different file types one by one and see which one causes this behavior!

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 06:49:35 pm »

I just broke down and installed Quicktime/iTunes on my main PC.  Was using Quicktime Alternative before w/o issue.  Now that I have the official Quicktime installed I am now getting the 'color scheme' issue with MC12 it switches in and out of basic color at the start and end of any MOV import.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 06:51:49 pm »

What kind of file are you playing?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 07:02:29 pm »

The podcast files from this site (as an example) cause this behavior when they download:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/command-n/h264

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 07:16:19 pm »

Some more info:
I just played one of the videos and Vista changed to basic color until I closed MC.
Reopened MC and sent the exact same video to WMP11 - no color change.
Opened the same video directly in Quicktime - no color change.
MOV is not currently set to use directshow filters.  As far as I know, the playback options for MOV are still the installed defaults - and the only change to my system was installing the current version of quicktime (no version previously installed).

The problem with this 'issue' is that the occurrence is 'random' (since MC could download a new MOV podcast at any time) and is annoying when it happens while trying to work on something.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 07:38:17 pm »

Just to confuse matters:
Added QuickTimePlayer.exe as a valid 'send to external' app.  Using 'send to external', Vista changed to basic color until after I closed Quicktime.

So:
Open QuickTimePlayer as a stand alone app - no color change when opening/playing MOV files.
Using MC12 to 'send to' QuickTimePlayer - color changes to basic.  Close MC12, no change.  Close QuickTimePlayer, color changes back to normal.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 08:00:01 pm »

i think there may be confussion on why i started this post. This happens even after rebooting vista ultimate. and  afile has not been played. this happens just from doing a auto import, the other day i auto imported, and just my pictures folder. (Which i always do) came up with files, well when jriver started to rebuild fix \add whatever you call it the thumbnails, my screen flashed like crazy and i kept getting the color scheme has changed. so when it had finished i checked the imported files. and they all were jpegs.

Just more info on this issue ive had.

Also of course anytime playing files the color scheme changes still as well.

but for me. that would be ok, but when i'm doing an auto import of thousands of files and it has to build thumbnails. Its VERY confussing and impossible to do any work whatso ever on the machine while this flashing color scheme is  taking place.

just my input again, since i been absent in this forum for awhile
Pages: [1]   Go Up