INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some iPod files inaccessible since installing MC12  (Read 1989 times)

ryokoblue

Some iPod files inaccessible since installing MC12
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:36:59 am »

I'm experiencing a problem similar to this one.  I have an 80GB iPod Video 5th gen.  After downloading and installing MC, I attempted to familiarize myself with the software while my iPod was hooked up.  Everything looked good until I realized that some of my music, all of my playlists, and a great deal of my videos were no longer accessible.  MC correctly reports the number of files and space available, as does iTunes which categorizes the missing files as "other."  MC, iTunes, and the iPod firmware are all up-to-date.  All of my files are in either mp3 or mp4 format; which ones are no longer visible seem to be completely random.  I uninstalled and reinstalled everything to no avail.  While my music is backed up, most of my videos are not, so restoring the iPod would be a last resort.  My computer still recognizes my iPod's correct name, although iTunes and MC do not.  I understand that running both iTunes and MC can complicate things, but working with them individually hasn't helped.  I was thrilled to find a real alternative to iTunes, but if I can't get this fixed I'll just have to put up with it.  I won't feel comfortable using the software that screwed up my iPod in the first place unless I know how to prevent that from happening.  If anyone can advise me, I'd be really grateful.

HtV

• Recent member
Re: Some iPod files inaccessible since installing MC12
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 11:19:23 am »

What version of JRiver are you using?

ryokoblue

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 05:47:43 pm »

J River MC: 12.0.428
iTunes: 7.6.0.29

I really like J River, I hope I can figure this out.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 06:05:13 pm »

Apple has been making frequent changes.  It's worth trying to update to the latest iTunes and updating the firmware.

ryokoblue

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 06:26:14 pm »

I updated them both yesterday, but nothing changed.  I'm concerned the problem is actually with my ipod itself at this point and I'm not sure how to change it back.

SwellGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:52:24 am »

ryokoblue

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:07:52 pm »

Still wrestling with this problem.  Would initializing my iPod in MC erase all my files?  I've run data recovery on my iPod, but it doesn't report anything wrong/missing.  It's so weird.  I didn't even know what "other" constituted, but apparently it's where inaccessible files go to die.

Any more ideas?

SwellGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:37:37 pm »

Yes, it would.

Have you looked at the link? Several people have experienced the problem you have described and they suggest things to try.

ryokoblue

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 02:33:44 pm »

Yes, I did.  iTunes and MC recognize my iPod, just not everything on it.  It must be a problem with the iPod's database, since I can't locate the files through scrolling either.  Is there any way to update or re-recognize the database?  I tried "redetect" in MC, but it didn't help and now I just get an error message when I try again.  The iPod doesn't appear to be corrupted in any way, it's just that it suddenly recognizes several of my files as "other" instead of videos and therefore makes them inaccessible. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up