INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turn off automatic tagging behaviour.  (Read 1327 times)

gummbah

• World Citizen
Turn off automatic tagging behaviour.
« on: February 03, 2008, 12:16:09 pm »

I am considering to start using MC for managing my tags, but I want MC to only do the things I tell it to. I need full control over my tag changes.

Now I noticed that MC does some stuff automatically such as making each word begin with a capital and renaming the files accordingly.
Is there anyway I can turn this automatic behaviour of?

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Turn off automatic tagging behaviour.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 12:33:43 pm »

With regard to tags stored inside files...

If you do not want MC to change tags inside files then clear \Tools\Options\General\"Update tags when file info changes".

With regard to tags stored in MC's library...

If you do not want MC to change any tags without you telling it to do something, then clear Tools\Options\Library & Folders\"Run auto-import in the background"

With regard to changing capitalization...
MC does not do this automatically. You need to tell it to do it.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 04:39:06 pm »

Now I noticed that MC does some stuff automatically such as making each word begin with a capital and renaming the files accordingly.
Is there anyway I can turn this automatic behaviour of?

If you're referring to when getting tag info from YADB:
Tools->Options->CD & DVD->General->Online lookup capitalization

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 04:51:43 pm »

What I mean is that I would like to start using MC for changing the tags in the files (up until now I used Tag&Rename for tagging purposes).
But when I changed the genre tag of all tracks in an album, MC also capitalized the first letter of all words including those in artist and track title fields. Can I turn this off?

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 01:26:03 am »

Here is an example of a song in which the r in radio is automatically capitalized when changing the genre:

Barry White - 14 - Dark And Lovely (Over There) 'radio Edit'.mp3

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/43545/--mp3.html

I am starting to think this is a bug rather than intended automatic behaviour, because it doesn't seem to happen in all cases.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:13:58 am »

Could anyone confirm or disconfirm that this is a bug?
Thanks!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 08:02:06 am »

I've never seen MC change capitalization on anything unless I told it to. Surely never just from changing the genre.

The only thing I can think of that would cause MC to automatically change tags is if Auto-Import ran in the background and was set to upate for external changes (Tools->Options->Auto-Import Folders->Options), but that would still require that something else other than MC actually changed the tags.

It gets tricky when two tagging programs are thrown in together. It's hard to figure out which one is making which changes.

But until it gets figured out, you can go to Tools->Options->General->Import & Tagging and uncheck "Update tags when file info changes". That will prevent MC from physically writing to your tags. Then later when you're sure you want it to, just check that box again, select all your files, right click on them and choose Library Tools->Update Tags (from library).

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 01:28:54 am »

Thanks for the replies!
I am still investigating what is going wrong. Somehow I have no longer been able to reproduce the behaviour, but I'll keep trying.
If something comes up I'll post again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up