INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play mpeg's through library server.  (Read 1558 times)

ukahfur

• Recent member
Can't play mpeg's through library server.
« on: February 10, 2008, 03:26:40 pm »

Hi,

I am having problems playing an mpeg through the library server. My music works fine, but when I try to play an mpeg through the library server from a client machine I get an error message that says:
"media player encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Please make sure that the path in your media library point to the right location.

Error Details:
DirectShow: ClassFactory cannot supply requested class.

Code=0x8004011
"

There is nothing wrong with the mpeg. In fact, from the client machine I can browse to the file on my home network through windows explorer and drag it into my Media Center library, push play and it will play without a problem. It just won't play through the library server.

It seems to only be a problem with large mpegs (movies ~2.4 gigs). Smaller mpegs play fine through the library server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Can't play mpeg's through library server.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 04:25:18 pm »

Sounds like DirectShow cannot handle URLs for that type of mpeg. We don't directly control playback, we rely on DirectShow, and some types won't play. It doesn't matter that you can play it through Windows networking, that's a different scenario. Sorry...

j

ukahfur

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:13:48 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, I can just add mpegs, dvds etc to the library on my client machine by dragging the files into my library from a networked drive. But when I add a movie to my library from a networked drive, I can't seem to add cover art to it. I have tried adding a Folder.jpg file in the same directory as the movie and then right clicking > cover art > quick find, but nothing happens. I can't right click > cover art > paste from clipboard either. The networked folder is set to allow users to modify files.

Thanks,

Mike

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:39:32 pm »

Have you got write permission on the network drive?

j

ukahfur

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 08:11:07 pm »

Yes. I have the directory set to "allow network users to change my files". And just to confirm this, I can browse to the network drive and create/delete files in there.

ukahfur

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 10:00:08 pm »

I decided to just copy the DVD files from my library server to an external hard drive and then plug the external hard drive into my client machine. Now, when I drag the dvd files into the library of my client machine, it accepts it, but I still am not able to add cover art to it when I am connected to my library server. I can start a new library, add the dvd, then add the cover art, but that leaves behind all my music on my library server.

Thanks,

Mike

ukahfur

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 10:03:32 pm »

I should note that when I am right click on my dvd and choose "cover art -> paste from clipboard" it does update the tag....it says "C:\documents and settings\.....etc", the cover art just doesn't display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up