More > Media Center 12 (Development Ended)

Video playback drop-outs with Win2K - [**SOLVED!!**]

<< < (3/9) > >>

Matt:
If you keep having problems, please right-click a playing video and copy the filter graph information and paste it here.

Thanks.

HTPCnut:
Hi,
Very much appreciate all the help & suggestions.. many thanks to this excellent Forum!  :D

Well...
Feels kinda dumb having to admit that Windows 2000 seems to be the culprit (and root of all... problems):
After I created another partition on my HDD and slapped Windows XP on it [not activated yet; just for testing], together with a fresh install of MC 12.0.438 and all necessary Codecs/Filters/Splitters etc. (all its needs is the Basic K-Lite pack) everything (!) on my HTPC works f-l-a-w-l-e-s-s-l-y !!!

Kudos to the MC Development & Support Team; this is one hell of a great MC solution and I'm sure gonna stick with it!!!
Only thing that bugs me, of course: I'll need a 4th XP License now, since I'm done messing around with cracked XP installs.. (...I've grown up! ;-) .

Anyways,
Just wanted to give some feedback to the community; just in cases anyone runs into the same kind of [sound/video] issues I experienced. I know now, more than ever, why I dig XP (and won't upgrade to Vista, unless I'll have to... in 10 years, or so)...

I'll report back if anything turns out to be a problem after all; if anyone cares.
So far I've randomly checked all my Music Videos & Movie files (.mpg, .mpeg, .flv, .divx, .avi, .mov, .mp4  ...etc.) and all show just fine!.. YEAH!!!

JR MC 12 ROCKS!!!   ;D ;D

Thanks,
A:-)

NOTE: Since the entire XP/MC 12 install only took me 2+ hrs, or so, I'm gonna give Win2K another shot. I can't quite believe that XP alone makes such a big difference.... - I'll keep you posted. 

HTPCnut:
UPDATE:

Indeed...
Seems to me like MC12 doesn't run well on Windows 2000 (Pro). At least not on my system, and I gave it a clean install and all... The video/sound has infrequent drop-outs and glitches... - no fun at all. Using the same PC, just a different partition (the one with XP), and everything is dandy; no problems whatsoever.  :o

Hey, MC 12 Team:
With regard to MC13, I suggest you drop "Win2K" from your software compatibility list!  >:(  >:(
Or is there anyone out there who got movies/music running without a hitch on Win2K Pro?? Would be interesting to know...

Thanks... anyway!!!

Alex B:
Do you have the latest DirectX installed?

--- Quote ---.mpg video files to play properly in MC12.
--- End quote ---

".mpg" is a container file type. What is the exact format? What codecs were used in creating the files?

If you don't know you coud try the GSpot tool.

EDIT

DirectX for W2k Pro is available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Alex B:
BTW, my old PC in my home office has W2k Pro. I have not recently used it for video playback, but I don't recall having any problems with playing my video files.

It has a first generation 1.4 GHz AMD Athlon CPU so I don't think it would able to play MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 encoded stuff, but my MPEG2 and Xvid avi files worked fine.

I could update its codecs and MC12 and give it a try (It has been several months since I did any updates).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version