INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recovering after Reformatting Hard Drive  (Read 1199 times)

Ripper

• Junior Woodchuck
Recovering after Reformatting Hard Drive
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:27:05 pm »

I just reformatted my hard drive.  Before I did that, I backed up the data in the Users/J River folder.  Now that I have reinstalled Media Center 12, do I simply choose the import library feature and select my last backup, or must I also reinstall some of the other files from the Users/JRiver folder, e.g., for album covers, etc.?  For some reason, with the new installation, there is no Users/J River folder like there was before.

Second, I have always had a separate drive containing my music.  Before I reformatted the C: drive, my music (data) drive was the S: drive.  After reformatting, Vista somehow changed the S: drive to the F: drive.  Now that I am restoring my old library, is Media Center going to be confused because S: is now F:?

Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Recovering after Reformatting Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:07:55 pm »

I would just re-import the files and start fresh.

The drive change is a problem for the old database.  It is possible to use find and replace in MC to change S: to F: .

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Recovering after Reformatting Hard Drive
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:33:59 pm »

An alternate opinion...

If you want to preserve the information in your old library you should import your backed-up library.

You do need to correct the drive letter for you old library to work. You can do this as Jim suggests, or an even easier solution is to remap your drive to its original drive letter. You can do this by using the Windows Computer Management tool in Administrative Tools. Select Disk Managament, then select your drive, then right click and change the drive letter to S:
Pages: [1]   Go Up