INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YADB and export questions  (Read 1798 times)

deliagone

YADB and export questions
« on: February 21, 2008, 04:12:49 pm »

I can remember 78 records, so please bear with me! I have two questions. I have about 4,000 CDs I am starting to rip onto my 160gb Ipod. Many of them are rare foreign jazz CDs and the first batch I tried - with one exception- did not come up on the yadb database, leading me to believe that I probably won't live long enough to do all the typing that's ahead of me. Is there a way I can get access to any of the larger databases from within Media Jukebox, or do I need to use another program? Most of my music is off the beaten path and I probably need the most comprehensive databases available.

I have entered about 5000 songs that I had on my computer into MJ (before even tinkering with my cds). If I have to change programs, is there an easy way to import all the special data I have manually inputteded?

Thank you so much. You folks are doing a great service by helping me.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Two questions which are probably stupid enough to make you all puke
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 04:26:57 pm »

I can remember 78 records, so please bear with me! I have two questions. I have about 4,000 CDs I am starting to rip onto my 160gb Ipod. Many of them are rare foreign jazz CDs and the first batch I tried - with one exception- did not come up on the yadb database, leading me to believe that I probably won't live long enough to do all the typing that's ahead of me. Is there a way I can get access to any of the larger databases from within Media Jukebox, or do I need to use another program? Most of my music is off the beaten path and I probably need the most comprehensive databases available.

Can you give me a couple of examples of discs that are not in YADB?

j

deliagone

Re: Two questions which are probably stupid enough to make you all puke
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 04:38:52 pm »

Of course. This music will be before everyone's time here, but I tried to download a Pat Boone box set (from Bear Family records), some two-album on one cds by Rick Nelson, and then a French CD of a group called the Blue Stars. My music, like me, is over the hill, which leads me to believe I may need to find some kind of specialized database. Thank you so much for your time.

gappie

Re: YADB and export questions
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 04:46:58 pm »

welcome to the forums.
sounds like a very interesting collection you have there. sometimes im frustrated that some 'standard' recording is not in yadb, like for instance a charlie parker cd i bought recently, then im suprised that the third record from the free jazz band doppelmopel, that just came out was already in yadb.
one of the things i do, is search for a site that has the titels of the songs on the cd (especialy when they are from turkey or other countries that use other letters) and copy and paste those into mc. (and then submit it).

an other thing. make sure you rip them lossless. buy an extra external harddisk if neccesary. but when you do it once it is doable. but when you get regrets because they are not lossless then you have an other 4000 cds which, even when they are in yadb, is a lot of work. the conversion to the ipod does mc nice as far as i heard.

take your time.
 :)

gappie

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 04:56:05 pm »

Of course. This music will be before everyone's time here, but I tried to download a Pat Boone box set (from Bear Family records), some two-album on one cds by Rick Nelson, and then a French CD of a group called the Blue Stars. My music, like me, is over the hill, which leads me to believe I may need to find some kind of specialized database. Thank you so much for your time.
i have a lot of records from those periods. some come up some dont. one way to do it is just pick a pile. when yadb finds it. rip. when it does not. put it on the pile to do, when you feel like it. the problem i found is that box sets and those two records in one cds have a lower change to be found. then see what is left over. i think that your taste is not over the hill. music is nearly never over the hill.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 05:06:49 pm »

Nothing by the blue stars, but there are:
75 by Rick/Ricky Nelson
50 by Pat Boone
over 300 by Charlie Parker.
So, there is a good chance that the CDs you are using will show up.

I'm surprised the Charlie Parker CD didn't show up. Was the CD pressed or burned?

j

gappie

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 05:26:18 pm »

pressed.  :)
ofcourse.

300 cds of charlie parker. he died when he was 35. if he ever knew.  :'(
i ripped two at that time (about a month ago). so im not realy sure if it was 'Complete jazz at massey hall' (without the overdubs of charlie mingus) or 'with miles davis, the savoy recordings' (double cd).
they should be there now for sure.  :)

ah well. one thing i noticed is that it seems that yadb had grown a lot and gets better and better.

deliagone

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 05:47:23 pm »

You both have been wonderful. Thank you! I am trying your recommendation right now, but have a question. Please ignore if I get too annoying. I have found, for example, the track list for the Rick Nelson CD on cduniverse. How do I cut and paste the track list? I have highlighted and copied it in cduniverse, but can't seem to be able to paste it right in. Thanks so very much.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 07:09:10 pm »

Complete Jazz is there, but I'm not seeing anything with Miles Davis...

YADB is growing, both in size and cleanness.

I'm not sure if you can cut-and-paste entire track lists, you may need to do them one at a time.

j

deliagone

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 07:26:19 am »

John,
I have now been ripping for two weeks. My apologies. Somehow, ironically, the first few I tried gave me problems, and the rest work BEAUTIFULLY. Thanks for your help.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 07:34:25 am »

Very glad. I've been doing a lot of work with YADB the past two weeks, look for some improvements on cover art and general cleanliness.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up