INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AVRCP in MC: Does it work? Will it work?  (Read 2154 times)

knasil

• Recent member
AVRCP in MC: Does it work? Will it work?
« on: March 23, 2008, 06:00:39 am »

Hello,

AVRCP stands for Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), which allows a single remote control (or other device) to control all of the A/V equipment to which a user has access. It works fine for mobile phones and bluetooth headphones, as far as I can tell. However, when I try to stop/play MC using my bluetooth headphones... it simply calls Windows Media Player instead.

I explored the issue a bit more and went to the settings of my bluetooth device in Windows Vista.

Bluetooth Manager=> Options => Other => Select AV Player

and found that apparently you can select the AV player you want to play your Music File, CD or DVD and in the list of options only Windows Media Player appears... I think that is the reason why my bluetooth headphones only call WMP... because this is the default device. And now my question is: Are there any plans to make MC compatible with the AVRCP protocol? It would be soooo cool to be able to start/pause/stop the music using my headphones while I wirelessly walk around the house!

I did some research on these forums and found some older trends on the subject but they are a few months old.... Isn't it time for you guys to look at this issue again? Bluetooth devices are becomening more and more popular and it would help if MC became more compatible with them.

Otherwise THANKS for this awesome piece of software!

Regards

knasil

• Recent member
Re: AVRCP in MC: Does it work? Will it work?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 05:40:56 pm »

Hi, It's me again...

There were no replies to my previous message but I've found that MC does connect to AVRCP in WinXP. It is only in Vista (apparently) where it fails. Any progress on this subject?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

Sorry you didn't get a reply before.  In general, Microsoft doesn't make it easy for apps to add themselves to the list, but we'll see what we can do.

Thanks for the details on the protocol.

Motorola S9 headset?

knasil

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 02:07:53 pm »

Thanks for your reply,
I am using an CAPDASE BSH300 headset.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 02:15:05 am »

The problem must be the drivers you've installed for the Bluetooth support.

"Bluetooth Manager" isn't a part of Vista.

Normally, AVRCP is translated by the Bluetooth stack into Media Key presses, which means it would just work with JRiver Media Center, as long as you have the option enabled under "General->Advanced" ("Media key mode").

If that isn't working, you should probably take that up with whoever produces the bluetooth drivers - normally that would be whoever produced the bluetooth adapter at the PC end (i.e. the laptop manufacturer if it's internal, or whoever made the dongle if it's a dongle)

2minikan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 03:27:27 pm »

How did you get it to work in XP?

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 11:12:27 pm »

I'm curious to know if anyone ever got this working under Vista, or discovered that it couldn't work for some reason.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:53:40 pm »

BTW, this works just fine with MC. At least with the Sony DR-BT50 bluetooth headphones I am using.
Pages: [1]   Go Up