INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stacks vs Cache  (Read 1599 times)

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
Stacks vs Cache
« on: March 25, 2008, 07:41:30 pm »

I'm not too familiar with this new stacks concept. How do I get MC to use my already existing cache? MC insists on resynching my entire iPod and it is reporting that it will take 19 hours. I already have the library converted in the old cache directory. I told MC to use stacks to save conversions. Then I told it to use the existing cache directory. But, it is still trying to convert every file.  I'm not sure where it is putting the new conversions but it doesn't seem to be the old JRRHCache directory or the source flac files directories. I really don't want a second copy of every converted file.

edbro

Re: Stacks vs Cache
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 09:24:12 pm »

This gets messier by the minute. I now have MC using the old cache directory but it still is reconverting everything. Now, however, I have hundreds of duplicate files in my cache directory. The files are the same size and bitrate as the original cached files but they are named *(0).mp3.

I am going to abort this and wait to see if anybody can give some insight as how this is supposed to work. This is very frustrating, especially when the old cache system used to work well. Of course, having to resynch the entire iPod about every 4th or 5th time I hook it up is very frustrating also.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:24:24 am »

I'll add something to the "FindStackFile" routine to check the stack location and see if the file it is going to build is there already.

SwellGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:01:34 am »

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 04:12:05 pm »

Of course, having to resynch the entire iPod about every 4th or 5th time I hook it up is very frustrating also.

I feel your pain but understand that is a small price to pay for the benefits of MC.  I primarily use an iPhone and as you can imagine, I can only sync with iTunes.  Resyncing would be very difficult so I pretty much only resync from scratch and I only do every few months...when I'd rather sync much more often.

Thanking J River in advance for the hopefully soon to be added iPhone support (June update?)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 04:13:48 pm »

Please see this post for iPhone status.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:37:23 pm »

Nice work!  I'll watch for further improvements!

Dare I strongly request automated DVD syncing to iPhone?  Obviously this requires video support and I think there may be an issue or two with DVD auto conversion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up