INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes store  (Read 1158 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
iTunes store
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:52:52 pm »

I'm not sure if this is the best category for this question, but let's see how it goes.

I'm cosidering buying a few tracks from the iTunes store (because they don't seem to be available anywhere else). They will be DRM'd tracks, so I'm wondering what I should expect with trying to listen to those tracks via MC. I'll want to at least listen to them from a few differerent PCs as well as sync to my iPod. In the future I might also want to sync to some next generation non-iPod player. What problems can I expect?

Also, I assume that if I want to go through the bother (and potential legal ramifications) I could burn the tracks to CD and then re-rip them into my preferred format. Is that correct?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: iTunes store
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:54:03 pm »

I'm not sure if this is the best category for this question, but let's see how it goes.

I'm cosidering buying a few tracks from the iTunes store (because they don't seem to be available anywhere else). They will be DRM'd tracks, so I'm wondering what I should expect with trying to listen to those tracks via MC. I'll want to at least listen to them from a few differerent PCs as well as sync to my iPod. In the future I might also want to sync to some next generation non-iPod player. What problems can I expect?
I have a couple hundred iTunes store tracks. They work fine with MC. You have to install and authorize with iTunes before QuickTime (an Apple component) will play them in MC.
You have to use iTunes to copy a DRM track manually to your iPod before you are able to use MC to sync and playback other DRM tracks.
You will be limited by Apple's DRM to 5 machines (I believe).
Non-iPods will not work until Apple licenses their DRM technology.

Also, I assume that if I want to go through the bother (and potential legal ramifications) I could burn the tracks to CD and then re-rip them into my preferred format. Is that correct?
Yes, with corresponding loss of quality going from lossy compression to additional lossy compression...

brad

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Re: iTunes store
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 12:24:10 am »

Ok, thanks for the info, much appreciated. If I do re-rip from CD I'll probably re-rip as lossless WMA, like all my other tracks. Kind of silly since the original is only 128kbps AAC, but what can you do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up