INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jukebox will not close  (Read 1837 times)

hoodle

Jukebox will not close
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:41:41 pm »

Hi all,
I'm new to JR Jukebox, and I really love what I see - the interface, everything.  I have a strange problem, though, and it's keeping me from wanting to use the program.  It seems to run normally, but then it regularly (about 1/3 of the time) refuses to quit.  I click the red button in the corner, and nothing happens... it just freezes.  Often Vista tells me the program has stopped responding.  I can force quit out, but it will not quit on its own.  Task manager just shows it as using something like 40-50% of the CPU. 

I'm running a Sony VAIO SZ450N, Vista Business.  I have about 30 gigs of music.  I did tell it to "build thumbnails" which took a long time.  I have NOD32 antivirus.  I'll try disabling it and seeing it that helps, but I'd be surprised (it's never gotten in my way before!)

any ideas?

hoodle

Re: Jukebox will not close
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 09:45:21 pm »

As an update - I want to tell ESET NOD32 not to scan JR Jukebox.  What directories should I point it to - my music folder? or the program folder?  It seems likely, based on other posts, that this will be resolved once my antivirus stops looking at it, but I don't know how best to do that while still having it monitor my files.

A FURTHER UPDATE:
I have NOD32 ignoring the Jukebox program file in its entirety, and it doesn't seem to be helping.  What I've noticed:

1) when first opened up, the program uses less than 10% CPU, and I can close it normally.  THis lasts for about 20 seconds.

2) after about 20 seconds, the program starts using dramatically more CPU (~30% CPU) and I can't close (the red button ceases to work, and the program as a whole stops responding).

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:09:58 pm »

I have also seen this happen quite often, in fact most of the time
. . . the game is rigged

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 07:07:32 am »

There are some similar problems (and solutions) in the link called "Weird Problems" in my signature.

We use the registry and that bothers some virus programs.  Hard to understand why....

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 07:40:00 am »

There are some similar problems (and solutions) in the link called "Weird Problems" in my signature.

We use the registry and that bothers some virus programs.  Hard to understand why....

That would make perfect sense to me except that MC also works the same and is not affected in this manner on the same machine. I'd expect an A/V program to affect both the same sine they look, at & smell the same.
. . . the game is rigged

hoodle

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 01:33:51 pm »

Well, I've tried disabling NOD32, and it didn't make any difference.  I don't see how I'd want to use a music program, no matter how gorgeous, which required my virus checker to be uninstalled?!  I'll try restarting the computer with the virus checker disabled, but I'm feeling discouraged.

What registry stuff does Jukebox use, and again, what files would be best to be "ignored" by Antivirus software?  Or what settings would make it run the most innocuously? 

I'm also confused about one thing.  If it's the virus software that's causing the problem, why does the program itself jump up in CPU usage after 20 seconds?  Shouldn't it be the antivirus software that shows increased activity?  Is this indicative of something else wrong?  Are there any files I can show you guys which might explain it?

I'm really at the end of my rope.  I love the program, but I don't understand why it's being so user-unfriendly.

EDIT:
The program will not close with Alt-F4 either.  Would looking at the log file help anyone?  I'd really love to be able to use this program.  I'm going to reinstall it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up