INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Home Server  (Read 3928 times)

karnevil9

Windows Home Server
« on: April 06, 2008, 05:50:19 am »

Not sure if this is the corect forum so please feel free to move if in wrong one. I haven't been on this forum for ages as not really had any need to as media center just does what i need it to but now i have a few of questions that someone might be able to answer.

1.Have now built a Windows Homer Server and am thinking of moving all my music mp3's to the server ( i know about the data corruption bug etc)has anyone else done this and how has it worked out
2. If you have done this how did you set it up did you install MediaCenter 12 to the home server or just point it to the music stored on the Windows Home Server
3. Has anyone made or thought of making a home server add on for media Center 12

all i want to be able to do is to share my music with the HTPC downstairs in lounge, my wifes laptop in Kitchen, Daughters Laptop in her bedroom the main pc in my computer room and the small pc in our bedroom. any help or advice most gratfully recieved

Thanks very much for taking the time to read

Karnevil9

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows Home Server
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 07:45:55 am »

Isn't part of its feature set just a server where you can put any files?

If so, you can use MC to Move your files there.  It's under Library Tools.  Try a few before you do very many just to see what it does.

I remember that user Shelly uses one, I think.  You might try a search for her posts.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 10:19:31 pm »

1. I've done it and it works fine. If you havent already moved your files onto it, then like JimH says, just use the "Rename files from properties tool" on your audio files to move them all to the "Audio" share.

2. Once you've done the above, your computer, and any other in the house will always be playing the same files from the server.

By extension, if you copy your MC library file onto the server (File>Library>Library manager, Add library to a new folder in your "Public" share on the server and make sure it clones your current library) and then always load MC with that library by default, then you can access, and update that same library from any PC in the house so that each PC is always seeing the same, most recent info for your files (obviously you need to tell MC on the other computers to load the server version of the library too).

To install MC on the server itself (so that you can use library server to serve music accross the internet to other computers running MC elsewhere) you need to use remote desktop on your computer to connect to the home server. Once you are inside you can install MC as you would on your normal computer, and then you need to tell it where the library file is and turn on library server. If you put the Media server link in your startup items list, then even when the server restarts (after automatic updates etc.) MC will load again without you having to remote desktop in and start it yourself.

I don't know how to get Media server to start with the library in read only mode. If anyone else does, I'd appreciate directions.
If anyone knows how to schedule a library reload (in readonly mode), that info would be greatly appreciated too.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:03:27 pm »

I don't know how to get Media server to start with the library in read only mode. If anyone else does, I'd appreciate directions.
If anyone knows how to schedule a library reload (in readonly mode), that info would be greatly appreciated too.

"C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\Media Center 12.exe" /LibraryReadOnly

Put this in a batch script after an MC close command and schedule it using task scheduler. Will this work for you?
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

karnevil9

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 12:31:23 am »

Thanks very much for the info. will be trying it tonight and will let you know how i get on

Karnevil9

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 05:03:24 am »

Raym, that's pretty cool. Is there any way to make it run media server and read only mode at the same time?

Also, do you mean use windows schedular rather than Media Center's one?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 05:33:15 am »

Raym, that's pretty cool. Is there any way to make it run media server and read only mode at the same time?

It should be possible as long as Media Server is set to start on system startup (Options -> General -> Shell Options -> Run Media Server on Windows Startup). With this enabled, whenever you start MC (with the /LibraryReadOnly argument) it will also start Media Server in read only mode. 

Also, do you mean use windows schedular rather than Media Center's one?

Yes. Schedule it to run as frequently as you need.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 04:25:18 am »

Here are the batch scripts I ended up using to accomplish what I wanted.

This one reloads the library in readonly mode. I have windows scheduler load every night at midnight:

start /wait mc12.exe /MediaServer

And this one is set to start at windows logon. It opens media server, waits a couple of minutes for it to load properly and then reloads the library into readonly mode:

start /wait mc12.exe /MediaServer
:: Insert delay of 120=11-1 seconds
ping -n 120 127.0.0.1 >NUL
start /wait mc12.exe /MCC 20028
Pages: [1]   Go Up