INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YADB problem  (Read 2449 times)

tommyd

• Recent member
YADB problem
« on: April 07, 2008, 04:25:52 pm »

It almost never worked for me.  If you have CD not on the Top 40 list it does't work.

When are You going to have better database than freedb (about 5 000 000 albums)?

I can type in track names of  10% CDs I own, not 95%

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: YADB problem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:27:12 pm »

It would help if you could be specific about your problem.

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 05:26:37 pm »

TommyD, I listen to and rip Argentine Tango CDs (I have 5-600). It is rare that I get anything back on YADB. I use the following workaround:

1. I start a different player (Windows Media Player, Real, etc).
2. Put the CD in the machine and get the information on the CD.
3. Exit the player. Start Media Center.
4. When I get the usual "can't find" etc message I point to the CD drive in the right pane, right click and select fill in from CD.ini info.

This works for me most of the time. The rest of the time no one has the info on what I buy.

Hope this helps. This may be a bit of a pain, but Media Center, for me, is much better than the alternatives for what I need.

John
Thank you,

John

tommyd

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 02:43:13 pm »

TommyD, I listen to and rip Argentine Tango CDs (I have 5-600).

:) me too

It is rare that I get anything back on YADB. I use the following workaround:

I don't use workaround, I'm just using EAC & LAME to rip CDs, it does it better (with tags from freedb and with full control of quality) and I have to fix some tags (ie. genre or dates) anyway.
In my post I wasn't rally asking for help it was simple rant after hitting this stupid flaw another time. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 02:48:28 pm »

I don't use workaround, I'm just using EAC & LAME to rip CDs, it does it better (with tags from freedb and with full control of quality) and I have to fix some tags (ie. genre or dates) anyway.
In my post I wasn't rally asking for help it was simple rant after hitting this stupid flaw another time. 

Again, if you explained what types of CDs you're having problems with, we might be able to help.  YADB should be quite good for North American content.  It's weaker for International content, but getting better all the time.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tommyd

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 06:17:06 pm »

Again, if you explained what types of CDs you're having problems with, we might be able to help.  YADB should be quite good for North American content.

Argentine tango definitely isn't North American. I'm from Europe and can't remember any CD I own and which was found in YADB.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:23:20 pm »

Argentine tango definitely isn't North American. I'm from Europe and can't remember any CD I own and which was found in YADB.
Either you have a basic network problem or you're exaggerating.  I use YADB all the time, and the success rate is above 80%.

It's possible the disks are not legitimate.  The system won't usually find a home made disk.

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 06:28:56 pm »

Jim,

ALL of my CDs are legitimate! My success rate with Argentine Tango CDs with YADB is probably less than 30%. That 30% is probably from friends I've told about MC. I've gotten to the point that I try to remember to open my CDs with M$ Media Player or Real. I then read the results from the CD.ini into MC.
Thank you,

John

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 06:30:33 pm »

Sorry for the "run on." I hit the wrong key.

For me, the benefits of MC outweigh the lookup irritation.

Great program!
Thank you,

John

TWhite

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 08:34:12 am »

TommyD, I listen to and rip Argentine Tango CDs (I have 5-600). It is rare that I get anything back on YADB. I use the following workaround:

1. I start a different player (Windows Media Player, Real, etc).
2. Put the CD in the machine and get the information on the CD.
3. Exit the player. Start Media Center.
4. When I get the usual "can't find" etc message I point to the CD drive in the right pane, right click and select fill in from CD.ini info.

This works for me most of the time. The rest of the time no one has the info on what I buy.

Hope this helps. This may be a bit of a pain, but Media Center, for me, is much better than the alternatives for what I need.

John

John,

How do you get the CD info found on M$ Media Player to save to the CD.ini file?  Doesn't seem to work when I do it.

Tom

New Vermaje

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 02:42:56 am »

Hi !

There are much and more problems with YADB :

"Look Info" or "Submit track" => the responses are almost "errors" !

... and in Wikipedia, YADB is not enough explained !

Sorry, but we must say that this tool is not right efficient ...

Jean-Marc

elo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 06:38:18 am »

I must agree on this. I even tried to upload track info for a CD that was ripped by myself and where I know all track info is correct. Then I removed som of the track info in the tags and tried dowload fromYADB. The resuklt was 0 files successfull out of one.

Rgrds
Ole

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 09:00:55 am »

Ole - what's the title/artist/tracks?

j

Pages: [1]   Go Up