INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any issues with installing Nero 8 on an MC12 system?  (Read 1832 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Any issues with installing Nero 8 on an MC12 system?
« on: April 19, 2008, 01:07:05 am »

A while back there were some issues with installing Nero on a system running MC12.  I'm unclear if any issues still exist, or if there are any special instructions when installing Nero 8 in order to avoid conflicts with MC12.  Can I just install and use the current versions of Nero (version 8) and MC 12 on the same system?

There are still a few things I like to use Nero for, but I don't want it to interfere with MC12, so I need to know if it's safe to use Nero 8.

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Any issues with installing Nero 8 on an MC12 system?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:19:59 pm »

Any word on this?  Does anyone here run Nero 8 and MC12 on the same system, and if so, were there any special precautions that had to be taken?  I know that there were issues with some version of Nero and MC12 a while back, but I'm unclear if these issues still exist with the latest versions of these programs.

Thanks for any feedback on this,

Larry

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 07:35:59 pm »

having rolled back to XP recently, I can say that, so far, I've not run into any problems with Nero 8 and MC 12

Bear in mind that this is XP, not Vista, and also that I gave the majority of the Nero 8 installer a seriously wide body swerve (scout still managed to get in there somehow though.. Grrr)

Burning Rom, Recode and Showtime are all I installed iirc.

-marko.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:46:22 pm »

Thanks Marko.  I was only planning on installing Nero and Nero Xpress -- I just need some of the burning capabilities.  I'm also using XP on my new build -- I opted against using Vista.  It sounds like whatever issues were there are now taken care of by either Nero, MC, or both.

Thanks again,

Larry

rjm

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 09:10:51 pm »

I installed Nero 8 today. Everything seems fine so far with MC. The upgrade from 7 to 8 appears to be worthwhile. They fixed a bunch of things I found irritating, and it looks better.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 02:55:15 am »

Thanks for the reports.

Larry

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 04:04:53 am »

If all you need is burning capabilities there are free programs that will do that.  In some cases the free programs do things Nero doesn't.  For example, I made an image of a classical CD that had index markings in the tracks.  Nero 7 wouldn't create the index marks while the freeware program InfraRecorder did.

I have given up on Nero.  I bought a full retail license for version 6 and upgraded to version 7.  I am so frustrated with version 7 that there is no way I would ever install version 8.  I put Nero in the same category as Symantec; does more damage by installing it than it is worth.

I have been using various free burning programs and have been able to do everything I have needed to do for CD/DVD burning using free tools and no Nero.  The free tools I have been using are:

CDBurnerXP - Handles all the basics and has a good UI
ImgBurn - Limited features and poor UI but handles more image file formats
InfraRecorder - Open Source, early in development, still needs more features
StarBurn - Does DVD video and dual layer and other fancy stuff

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 08:07:24 am »

That's interesting.  In my experience, Nero has always been an industry standard for reliable burns, and I find that it's typically the program that's recommended when drive/player compatibility are a top priority.  For example, Samsung recommends Nero for creating firmware update CDs used to update their Blu-Ray players.  I'm sure other programs could work, but I've always had a high success rate with Nero, and I like its verification feature.  I do use other programs (like MC) for burning in certain situations, but I've been using Nero for many years now (since well before I started using MC), and I've just come to trust it.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 09:08:10 am »

Nero has caused us problems in the past, but not in the last couple of years, as far as I know.

Nero's burning is no more reliable than MC's.  It has some bells and whistles.

If you'd like to discuss further, please use Nero's forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up