INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC for handhelds (Windows Mobile)?  (Read 3062 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
MC for handhelds (Windows Mobile)?
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:06:48 pm »

Pleeease?! I'd never thought I'd have to use windows Media Player, but here I am...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC for handhelds (Windows Mobile)?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:43:20 pm »

What is the question?

raldo

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:57:24 pm »

Well, I'm begging for an implementation of MC that runs on a windows mobile device...

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

Yes, my Axim X51V is dying to have such a thing. Video playback may be tricky though due to a lack of windows mobile versions of popular codecs?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:49:07 pm »

I'd rather see a client on a mobile device from JR, that can control the MC server.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:12:59 pm »

I'd rather see a client on a mobile device from JR, that can control the MC server.

Me too.  However, it would need to support any view scheme rather than being hard wired to an Artist/Album  view scheme.

Bill

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 12:43:41 am »

I'd like both TBPH. - XP tunes is getting there rapidly for the remote control though ;)

The ability to sync a WM device without having to worry about all my custom tags being messed around to get compatibility, and to take my current view schemes would just be nirvana!

It *could* also even act like a mobile reference library. ie. regardless of the media actually synced, the ability to browse the content of your library... (of course a switch would be required to show ALL and AVAILABLE media)

As for video, not fussed about that, but would be a nice thing to have for a lot of people I'm sure.

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 10:50:31 am »

There's Net Remote, which will happily control JR Media Centre server; http://www.promixis.com/products.php?section=netremote. It can be programmed to control lots of other things as well. Not particularly cheap though.

Music Lobby PPC will also control MC from a Windows Mobile device, but it's overdue for an update and is even more expensive if you don't already use Cinemar products.

Commando

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 11:44:28 am »

While integration from MC would be nice, they continue to improve an already great product.  Why should they devote and divert effort to reinvent the wheel that someone else has already done well.  I have found NetRemote to be an excellent adjunct to MC.  As was said, NR with Girder for a whole house use can be a little pricey, but it can also control everything.  For just MC, it is well integrated and doesn't require Girder.  It is extensible with Lua and quite flexible.

I have MC 12 running on a server which is connected by digital cable to my home theater.  I use an iPaq HX4700 upgraded to WM6.1.  I use the PPC wi-fi and NR WakeOnLan to wake the server or shutdown the server.  I use NR to view the entire library, to search according to MC rules and flexibility and select songs to play.  I am new to NR and am only just scratching the surface.

I believe there is a good company relationship between MC and NR and you should look into using both products. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 12:28:42 pm »

I believe there is a good company relationship between MC and NR and you should look into using both products. 
We've got a good relationship with both Cinemaronline and with Promixis.  Both make fine products.

A web browser can also control MC if you run MC's RemoteServer (configured in options/startup).  RemoteServer is a small Web Server.

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 12:31:03 pm »

I disagree, for the moment at least.

There are programs for windows mobile that work quite well for media playback.  I don't see the problem with using these and simply using MC to sync to your handheld.

Commando

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 02:05:36 pm »

I think there are 2 issues in this thread.  Using a PPC as a stand alone playback device and using a PPC as a control device in a client/server situation.  I agree MC for a PPC as a stand alone device makes no sense.  PPC's have very limited resources and they keep changing with the new generation of phones, etc.  Personally, I just use an iPod downloaded with playlists I manage in MC.

As part of a network, a PPC is a very portable and helpful device for home media control.  Older PPC's, such as my iPaq are very affordable with large screens.  Wi-Fi gives portability throughout a wide area with easy touchscreen control of audio.  I use mine outside when BBQ'ing and entertaining as well as throughout the house for audio control - song selection, volume, searching, etc.  That's the application I was referring to in my comments about NetRemote. 

raldo

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 04:00:01 pm »

I disagree, for the moment at least.

There are programs for windows mobile that work quite well for media playback.  I don't see the problem with using these and simply using MC to sync to your handheld.

I'd appreciate it if you guys had any tips as to which programs work well.

Windows Media Player is buggy and there is practically no support. For example Windows Owners Circle Forums (https://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsMobile/default.aspx?siteid=65) is just superficial stuff. They don't mention bugfixes at all.

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 10:45:47 am »

Its been about a year since I had an Axim x51v, but I had a few programs tha tworked pretty well.  try Mplayer or pocketplayer.  There was another one that was really great, but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

raldo

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 03:15:40 pm »

Its been about a year since I had an Axim x51v, but I had a few programs tha tworked pretty well.  try Mplayer or pocketplayer.  There was another one that was really great, but I couldn't find it with a quick search.

From the feature list of pocket player:
"o   User-managed Bookmarks support; jump to a file and time"

I can't believe most mobile phone players don't have this. My previous phone, a Sony Ericsson W810i didn't. And they call it a "Walkman"?! WMP doesn't either.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 10:59:50 pm »

I'd appreciate it if you guys had any tips as to which programs work well.

For music I like MortPlayer. For videos I like The Core Portable Media Player (TCPMP). Both are free and work very well on my Axim x51v. Try the qPod skin for MortPlayer.... very nice. I use it my car all the time now that I got a 16 MB storage card to fill with Music.
Sue
Pages: [1]   Go Up