INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Entire Album Rating  (Read 4692 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Entire Album Rating
« on: April 27, 2008, 04:59:28 pm »

Just a thought... as far as I know this isn't a feature of MC currently.  I would find it helpful to be able to rate an entire album, not just the individual tracks in it.  Possibly have a manual/automatic switch for the rating.  Manual rating is obvious but have an automatic album rating option that would be based on the average track rating within the album.  Just wondering if anyone else would find this useful.

gummbah

• World Citizen
Re: Entire Album Rating
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 12:25:37 am »

Maybe this will help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45117.0

Make a pane that gives you an album list and then the collumn 'number of plays' will give you the avarage for an album.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 02:23:08 am »

An album rating (separate from the individual song ratings) would be a handy feature.  I'm very album oriented in my listening.  I listen to entire albums, or the majority of an album, at a time.  I only rarely listen to playlists of individual songs.  When I sit down to listen the thing that's in my head is what artist and album do I want to listen to rather than what songs I want to listen to.  Therefore being able to rate an album is more important to me than rating individual songs.

justsomeguy

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 04:27:39 am »

Maybe this will help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45117.0

Make a pane that gives you an album list and then the collumn 'number of plays' will give you the avarage for an album.

I read through that thread, close but not exactly what I was looking for.  Forget about the automatic album rating I mentioned for now.  I am looking for a way of giving an album a 1 thru 5 star rating, not caring what the individual tracks are rated.    I would like a query basically that I could say show me all albums with a 5 star rating.  I'm not sure how the internal workings of the database currently is but I'd assume you'd probably need like a separate table that held all album names and the rating for that album.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 06:44:43 am »

I use a user field to do just this... it works well for sorting / playlists, but setting ratings isn't as slick as if it were a built-in feature (i.e. you can't click on the number of stars, you have to enter the number in the tag).

pank2002

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:15:07 am »

I believe MC already calculates and automatic album rating. Look at these  screenshots from my library:
Detailed album view:

Thumbnail album view:

It is automatically calculated from the individual ratings. I do not think there is a way to have manual album rating at the moment, but if you are willing to sacrifice individual rating you can obtain manual album-rating by rating all songs with x starts.

-Rasmus
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

justsomeguy

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:31:57 pm »

@ pank2002:

thanks for the input.  I was completely unaware that MC calculated an average album rating based on the individual track ratings, but there it is.  I looked but never seen it before.  It works just like I'd hope too, ignoring tracks with no rating so not to throw off the average.  I could still see myself using a manual album rating though.  I have a habit of not keeping up with rating every song in an album (large collection, not a large amount of free time) so an automatic average rating might not totally reflect my overall feel for the album.  Now knowing that MC already has a means of storing an album rating, seems it might not be a be deal to allow that field to be manually controlled instead.  I could be wrong.  I am happy though knowing there is an automatic feature though.

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:26:57 am »

Nevermind

gummbah

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 12:30:38 am »

I believe MC already calculates and automatic album rating. Look at these  screenshots from my library:
Detailed album view:

Thumbnail album view:

It is automatically calculated from the individual ratings. I do not think there is a way to have manual album rating at the moment, but if you are willing to sacrifice individual rating you can obtain manual album-rating by rating all songs with x starts.

-Rasmus

I think the avg in the second thumbnail is actually the average number of plays, not ratings.

pank2002

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 03:03:51 pm »

I think the avg in the second thumbnail is actually the average number of plays, not ratings.

It is not. In customize view, the following is shown:
Code: [Select]
[Name]
[Rating]
It would be kind of nice if it showed stars, but that is not the case.
-Rasmus

pank2002

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 03:06:29 pm »

@ pank2002:

thanks for the input.  I was completely unaware that MC calculated an average album rating based on the individual track ratings, but there it is.  I looked but never seen it before.  It works just like I'd hope too, ignoring tracks with no rating so not to throw off the average.  I could still see myself using a manual album rating though.  I have a habit of not keeping up with rating every song in an album (large collection, not a large amount of free time) so an automatic average rating might not totally reflect my overall feel for the album.  Now knowing that MC already has a means of storing an album rating, seems it might not be a be deal to allow that field to be manually controlled instead.  I could be wrong.  I am happy though knowing there is an automatic feature though.

If you go to detailed view in album view (right click on the tab), you can rate an entire album at once. This will set all individual ratings to the given rating. This might not be desirable, especially not with album containing some rated tracks.

-Rasmus

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 03:24:09 pm »

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 11:51:25 am »

A way of adding your own fields with stars, or preferrably with custom grapics,  would help alot here.
Have been asked of alot of times.

If it's ever implemented I guess they want to wait til version 13?

I hope it comes sooner than later. It's a mess using Album and Artist rating with numbers only.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 09:24:10 am »

I would also vote for a way to use graphic for other fields than the buildt-ins.

Maybe also checkboxes for booleans, while your at it... !  ;)
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...
Pages: [1]   Go Up