INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video file Thumbnail problems  (Read 1570 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Video file Thumbnail problems
« on: May 02, 2008, 03:12:19 pm »

I generally assign the same thumbnail for every episode of a TV show, usually the show's logo; when it appears onscreen, I pause the Video and then grab the screenshot as the thumbnail. I then copy the thumbnail using MC's Cover Art right click submenu and paste to every file of that TV show.

Problems:

1) Recently, some paste operations have been failing outright. I have no idea why.

2) Worse, every few weeks I notice that the thumbnails get screwed up. Random episodes of Battlestar Galactica, for example, will have the Heroes thumbnail, and some Heroes will have the The Office thumbnail etc.

I think this only happens when I paste the thumbnails in. If I do an 'add from file' I think the thumbnails are more robustly keeping their identities as intended.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Video file Thumbnail problems
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 04:03:39 pm »

Time to bump, I think.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:54:37 am »

bump

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:57:08 am »

WMP 11 can replace thumbnails in some cases.  I'm not sure that's what you're seeing, but try google for details. 

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:23:58 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. I don't think that's the case though. The thumbnails are being replaced by others from my library. Random episodes of one show will end up with the thumbnail of another, e.g. a Battlestar Galactica episode yesterday had the Family Guy thumbnail. :(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 04:45:58 pm »

It could be our problem, but if it is, I think we'd be seeing other people confirming what you're seeing.

Is it possible that you've got a folder.jpg that's getting used for files that don't have thumbnails?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 02:06:06 pm »

It could be our problem, but if it is, I think we'd be seeing other people confirming what you're seeing.

Is it possible that you've got a folder.jpg that's getting used for files that don't have thumbnails?

No, that's not it; no folder.jpgs exist. I double-checked last night to be sure. Also, if that were the problem, all the files that don't have assigned thumbnails would end up with the same folder.jpg image, right? That's not the case, because different files in the same folder (which all had the same thumbnail) are ending up with different thumbnails from my library. Seemingly random episodes of Band of Brothers will have the Planet Earth or Family Guy thumbnail. I correct this, and all is well for a while. Then when browsing, maybe weeks later, or always after a library restore, I'll see the same problem again.

I've got cover art being written to tags in options, but my guess is that this isn't happening if the thumbnail is pasted in rather than assigned by 'Get from File'.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 04:19:57 pm »

I've got cover art being written to tags in options, but my guess is that this isn't happening if the thumbnail is pasted in rather than assigned by 'Get from File'.
That won't help for formats that don't have internal tags that support images.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 04:53:24 pm »

That won't help for formats that don't have internal tags that support images.

Ah okay. The only file formats this affects are AVI and MKVs as far as I can tell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up