INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Our Day Jobs  (Read 1658 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Our Day Jobs
« on: May 05, 2008, 06:46:46 pm »

Have you ever seen the reports on the miniature robotic insects the Defense Department is working on?  Well, that's not what this is about.

What this is -- is a report on what we really do.  You can be sure you won't read about this in Vanity Fair when the next copy plops in your mailbox.

What we did today:

Talked about pressing our landlord for a rent reduction. 

Tested how long it would take to load a (hypothetically commercial) library of 1,000,000 tracks.  It took 54 seconds.  Ten minutes later, it took 28 seconds.  Four hours later, it took 28 seconds.

I forgot to mention that, over the weekend, gateley's fraud detection system caught a 12 year old trying to guess a credit card number after attempt #3.  gateley cut him off, but our system let him try 57 more before he gave up.  This won't earn gateley a bronze star, but he's a hero nonetheless.

But to continue with today, I have to say a little about what we've been doing outside this forum for the last couple of years.  You may know that we've built players for some major companies.  Starting with Best Buy, MTV, then Televisa, and a big Chinese telephone company called Chunghwa Telecom, and a lot of U.S. cable providers like Charter, Road Runner, and so on.  There is a list here.

As you might imagine, these companies are extremely varied in all sorts of ways.  We've made some great, life-long friends, and we've done, uh, less well.  Every experience has made us grow.

We have about a dozen more players in various stages of development.  We're in discussions with other companies about still more.

We did the Million Track Test because:

We think we can make a better media service experience.  One that doesn't have web pages being built every time you ask for "Cheech and Chong" but one that goes directly to the database and gets the real stuff.  Client, Server, Fast is our aim.  We're aiming at ten seconds, for now.  Ten seconds to display One Million Tracks in panes by artist, album, track, just as you now view your own library.

Some of our new players will include video stores as well.

Did I mention how much we like Linux and Mac?

So, a lot of internal changes.  Some of them may explain why we've put out a rough build or two in the last few months.  But we deeply appreciate your patience and help in finding the problems.  This community and the way we work together is what makes JRiver tick.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
Re: Our Day Jobs
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 07:45:50 pm »

I think I just got my fix :D

Did I mention how much we like Linux
Careful, you're going to get me *really* excited at this rate

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:58:08 pm »

Interesting, But Where Is "Chong"?

I Spent My Day In The Crawl Space Under Two Homes.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:09:40 pm »

Can't help but be a little bit excited.

One day I hope to have a million tracks...

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 08:15:02 pm »

You know those processors that you probably use to power some of your servers?

I kinda do stuff with them.  Perhaps you've seen pictures of me in china or somewhere.  

If you are looking to index a million files, 4-way quad cores are the way to go ;)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 08:58:48 pm »

I like the sound of it. But the database is only one half of it. The other half is a way for people to know what to get. For that, some kind of digest/magazine front end is necessary. It would need to be a mix between the old, reviews and recommendations from experts thing, and the more recent social networking based personal recommendation thing. Perhaps you could build a page based on the openSocial principles with a couple of example widgets from different music press sources and your own recommendation system. That way, the pages could be locale specific too, since people could add their own magazine sources. The difficulty would be in linking the songs in such magazines to your own store. I guess you would need to make deals with the magazines for that.

Or just cut a deal with lastfm. They seem to be at the forefront of introducing new music to people in a way that is easy and intuitive.

And of course, it would be an international store right?

Here's hoping for the mac version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up