INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC won't play dvd's or video files  (Read 8296 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
MC won't play dvd's or video files
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:42:29 am »

I replaced my mobo a couple days ago via rma. and before replacing all vid files dvd's worked. for some reason when playing any of my vid files i get this error

Media center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files . Please make sur that the path in your media library points to the right location
error details: directshow:unspecified error Code= 0x80004005

and when trying to play dvd's I get this popup

It appears that your sytem isnt configured correctly for dvd playback, Additional software for audio\video decoding is required for playing dvd's and this software is either missing or not working properly. If you already have dvd software which came with your computer, try re installing it or get Intervideo DvdXpack

I tried reinstalling cyberlink power dvd, and it plays dvd's fine i also opened the dvd's and video files in windws media player and they play fine.

Whats going on here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

also i checked my add\remove programs and i do HAVE Klite mega pack, I'm using vista Ultimate 32

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: j rivers won't play any dvd's or vid files??
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 09:02:51 am »

also i checked my add\remove programs and i do HAVE Klite mega pack, I'm using vista Ultimate 32

Klite mega pack can be the source of many problems. I would suggest you uninstall it, and install CCCP instead.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:07:29 am »

i tell ya Yaobing my biggest issue through out the years (windows me, xp, vista) has beeen these DARN CODECS!

Ok if i go with cccp. which version you suggest? i have many diffrent file types i use, from video to audio formats.

thanks for your time and help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 09:08:32 am »

Here's a similar thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46444.0

It was a DirectShow problem.  Installing CCCP usually fixes this kind of problem.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: MC won't play dvd's or video files
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:23:56 am »

Follow the links on our wiki.  glynor spent a lot of time writing the entries on DirectShow and DVD Playback.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 10:34:03 am »

ok well tried cccp, and vid files work!! but still getting same popup when i play a dvd?? if i goto settings, dvd settings this pops up?

see pic

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:37:14 am »

You may need to uninstall the software that has ahold of your DVD player right now.

Ulead uninstall worked for the person in the thread I pointed to.

Did you try the DVD instructions in our Wiki?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 10:46:56 am »

Also, which renderer are you using? VMR 9 and Haali work well in XP for DVD playback. Sometimes 'automatic' doesn't work.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 10:49:03 am »

hi jim. i uninstalled cyberlink pro ultra, and it still is giving me that error window.

and i went to your wiki and typed in dvd and nothing shows up? is the wiki down?  

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php?title=DVD&redirect=no

JimH

• Administrator

HTPC4ME

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 10:53:08 am »

im on vista ultimate 32.

and not sure which renderer im using cause i can't get to dvd playback settings, when i click on tools, options playback, under directshow playback settings, use windows media player playback engine for vid files is unchecked, and always has been unchecked, when i click on dvd playback settings, it won't bring up the settings it is suppose to, it brings up what you seen in my previous post with the intervideo screen error. and wanting me to buy it.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 10:58:00 am »

also. guys i must have not mentioned this. which i dont know why im installing and uninstalling stuff here. the dvd's DO WORK with Windows Media Player, and also Cyber Link.

i only get that error and the window you see in J River.

i'm still where we left off, i have cccp installed, and have uninstalled cyberlink as you suggested, and i just rechecked windows media player, and it plays dvd's perfectly. so this leads me to believe something is up with my jriver?

right?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 11:05:26 am »

Did you read this?
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DVD_Playback

Reboot.  Then try reinstalling CCCP again.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 11:45:31 am »

ok uninstalled cccp, rebooted, reinstalled cccp, rebooted, tried it again same issue. the dvd's will work in windows media player not jriver, i keep getting the same error\ purchase intervideo dvdxp screen?

this make no sense!

1. i have always used klite codec mega pack. no issues,
2. im on vista ultimate 32 and this has worked
3. it works with windows media player

i notice one thing. when opening windows media player and playing the dvd it plays flawlessly

when open jriver and choosing the dvd my screen flashes BLACK 3 or 4 times then i can see my screen again and then i get that pop up theat i need to purchase intervideo dvdxp?

JRiver shouldnt be flashing either, something is going on when i choose to play movie with jriver.

I also double checked my display drivers, and uninstalled them and reinstalled the ones that use to work. and same issue jriver won't play my dvd's.

sorry this is becoming a lengthy issue, but i have no clue what's going on here. and why it would have worked in past, and after getting new mobo (just new mobo.. everything else is the same! ive not reformatted nothing.. and it use to work!) that jriver won't play my dvd's and why screen would flash when i choose drives and devices play?

just another piece of info...I'm using a asus m2n-sli deluxe board.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 12:08:14 pm »

Forgive the silly question - just think of it as a thread bump: Are you using the latest version of MC? IIRC I had the same problem once before and I couldn't get to the DVD settings to chose filters etc. An MC update fixed the issue for me. Now when I play with settings and break DVD playback, I still see the InterVideo recommendation, but can get past it to manually fix my filters and renderers.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 12:26:33 pm »

well did an update, tried playing dvd, same popup where they want me to buy intervideo dvdxp, i hit ok to get rid of box and THIS TIME it gives the dvd configuration screen AT LEAST.. everything in there is set to automatic.. what do you suggest i change??

video decoder = 20. automatic selection
video renderer = Automatic
Audio Decoder = 08. Automatic selection

use bitrate monitor is unchecked and swap "fastplay and jump commands are unchecked.

Also on top under video... brightness, contrast, hue, saturation are all greyed out.

thanks for sticking with me here :) Greatly appreciated!!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 12:59:10 pm »

video renderer = Automatic
Audio Decoder = 08. Automatic selection

For video decoder, try MPV decoder. It is not the greatest decoder for DVD but it works for most people. You can try other decoders, one by one, such as Cyberlink, PowerDVD, etc. if available.

This shows that you have a lot of video decoders (19 listed). Having a lot of DirectShow video decoders is not a good idea (ask glynor about it  ;)), that was why I suggested you uninstall Klite Mega Pack. It looks like you still have many after uninstalling Klite. It is not necessarily THE cause of the problem, but some of the decoders listed will not work. You have to do a little trial-and-error to find a good one.

For video renderer, try EVR, VMR9 or Haali Video Renderer.

For audio decoder, it probably matters little. Try FFDShow Audio decoder, or Cyberlink if available.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 01:18:08 pm »

The reason you get that popup window is because DirectShow could not build a graph for DVD playback. I get that when I select  a wrong filter (either audio decoder or video decoder). In your case, you had everything on "Automatic" (the default), which should work if all filters are built correctly. The trouble is some filters do not work correctly, yet their developer has assigned them a very high merit value. When in automatic mode, DirectShow goes by merit values.  When it ends up loading a badly built filter, it fails.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 02:01:08 pm »

thats exactly what it was!!!!

Thank you. so there for since i have used Klite mega codec packs umm for years. it prolly got corrupt?

And now that im using cccp. it's working, i noticed when i choose ffdshow for anything (which is what i HAVEALWAYS USED AND LOVE) it would give me the intervvideo error. So my klite mega pac, ffdshow must have gotten corrupt. am i safe in assuming this?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 03:34:19 pm »

thats exactly what it was!!!!

Thank you. so there for since i have used Klite mega codec packs umm for years. it prolly got corrupt?

And now that im using cccp. it's working, i noticed when i choose ffdshow for anything (which is what i HAVEALWAYS USED AND LOVE) it would give me the intervvideo error. So my klite mega pac, ffdshow must have gotten corrupt. am i safe in assuming this?

FFDShow has a very high merit value, which is good in general as it is a great filter for many formats. If it somehow lost its DVD decoding ability, you could  get the trouble you got. FFDShow's DVD decoding capability is not quite established. Some people have good luck using it, some do not. On the configuration dialog of the version I am using, the checkbox for DVD still says "DVD decoding (not working yet)".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 03:36:21 pm »

Here's what glynor said in the DVD Playback Guide on our Wiki:

Older versions of theFFDSHOW video decoder do not work well with DVD (even though it has a user interface to turn on DVD decoding capability). Newer versions may be able to decode DVD properly. However, because there are still some (relatively minor) issues with DVD decode support in FFDSHOW, CCCP still uses the Gabest Decoders, which work quite reliably.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 03:41:01 pm »

i want to thank you all for helping me sort this out. it's much appreciated :)

I'll do some playing around with klite again, and see if it works again. maybe i can narrow down what exactly caused it.

but i think from all the headaches ive had thru out the years i may just stay with cccp this time.lol

To you in Mn enjoy this Beautiful Day!!!

Thanks Again!!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 03:52:40 pm »

If you go back to KLite... DO NOT USE THE MEGA PACK!  The Mega pack is absurd, and no one could possibly need all that stuff.

To be clear, you DON'T need to install XviD in order to play back XviD files.  You only need to install XviD if you want to create XviD files.  Same goes for almost every other codec out there (DivX, HuffyUV, etc, etc, etc).  Generally, you only need a few select filters installed if all you want to do is play files back.  CCCP handles 95% of that stuff.  Throw in Quicktime Alternative (or real Quicktime) and Real Alternative and it covers almost everything you could possibly need... Except DVD support.

I don't know if you saw it, but I did cover the KLite packs here in the wiki: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide:Alternative_Filters#K-Lite_Codec_Packs

Some of the info for DVD Playback in the Wiki is a bit old.  Much of the DVD Playback features of CCCP have been removed or modified in current versions, because there are other (better) options available.

CCCP does still include Gabest MPV decoder, which can handle DVD playback but it does NOT handle playback through Windows Media Player (and it is set with a low Merit Score).  I use it on a couple of my machines, but for everyday use I'd probably recommend something else.  FFDSHOW is, in my opinion, still not ready for primetime in DVD decoding (its MPEG-2 decoding is fine, but the DVD decoding is a separate step).

At this point, I'd recommend probably the Nvidia PureVideo decoders, Nero, or Cyberlink (in roughly that order).  None of these are free, but if you make heavy use of DVDs, they're probably the best options.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 03:58:21 pm »

well here's a question. being i have cyber link powerdvd ultra 7.3.334

if i install that. which i had installed before! and was asked to remove it. Then it should have allowed me to choose or at least be able to get to the dvd configuration in options, so i could change it from automatic.

Is it safe to assume i can reinstall my cyber link? and try that decoder again then?

Just curious.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 06:45:42 pm »

If you own it, I'd say use it.  However, I would do things in this order...

First off, make sure to uninstall any other "codec packs" or standalone codecs that you have other than CCCP.  Also, uninstall ANY other DVD Playback software you might have installed, including Nero Showtime or anything similar.  It is always best to have just ONE DVD playback engine installed at a time.

Next, install PowerDVD and get it licensed.  If it "offers" to take over your file associations, politely de-select EVERYTHING.  (Sometimes you need to choose "custom" or "advanced" when going through the installer in order to make these choices.)

Next, make sure to update PowerDVD to the latest version.  You can download updates here: http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/updates_112_ENU.html

Open it up and make sure it works.

Lastly, reset CCCP.  This will ensure that your filter setup is still correct.  You can do this by going to Start --> All Programs --> Combined Community Codec Pack --> Settings.  Then, in the dialog that appears, click Next.  In the next page, check BOTH of the boxes at the bottom under Special Settings (Reset all settings and Re-register filters).  Then click Apply.

You should be all set then.  MC will probably find and use the Cyberlink decoders all on it's own after this.

If you want to add some additional functionality (Real Media support or Quicktime Alternative for example), check the DirectShow Playback Guide for further details and tips.  You can also install XviD if you want to use it to encode (create) video files, but make sure to uncheck the option to use XviD to playback supported media types when running through the installer.  If you won't be making any video files of your own, then don't bother.  You can always install it later if/when you decide to make some, and you'll always want the newest version anyhow...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up