INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping and tagging feedback  (Read 1412 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Ripping and tagging feedback
« on: May 08, 2008, 01:58:15 pm »

My current project is reminding me of some small annoyances when tagging (not new to .493)...

I seem to have a lot of CDs that aren't in YADB, so eventually I'm told "No tag information for the CD in drive D: was found. Do you still want to rip this CD?" Answers are Yes or No. This dialog would be more helpful if it also offered a link to type in the CD and tracks information before ripping. As it is now, I either must say Yes, end up with a list of Unknowns (including inappropriate cover art), then go back and fix them all, without the helpful Disc Information edit form. OR I say No, then navigate to the CD drive letter to again open the tracks, edit the information, then rip. Lots of extra clicks either way.

Another stumbling block is the default size of the tags panel, when I open if after ending up with a list of Unknown.. tags that need editing. If I want to use it to type in the tags info, I open the tag panel and usually it shows just the first few fields of the view. It is NOT the Default Tags panel, it's the Tags in Current View panel but with odd behavior -- no scrolling by it or me. Even if I start typing in the first field, this panel does not scroll or resize by itself. Worse for me, I usually want to start with the Album name, and in my view that's a few fields down, just out-of-sight, but I can't get there. If I put the cursor in a visible field and tab down, I move to the out-of-sight fields but I can't see them. Only when the tabbing gets to a field that has a picklist (Keywords) does the panel switch to showing me all the fields in the view, resized and/or with scroll bars. It sometimes works as desired, Tags in Current View in a larger panel with scroll bars, but quite often that panel format is NOT triggered and I get stuck with the fixed size tags panel and no scrolling.

To avoid the tags panel size problem, I usually try to edit tags directly in the view. But either my aim has worsened, or MC has gotten more particular about recognizing which view column I want to edit. I think it used to reliably use the column and row under the cursor when I press F2, but recently it's tended to open some other column, sometimes one I didn't last-edit in the view. I've looked for a pattern of what tag it is remembering, and why, but don't yet have a theory.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Ripping and tagging feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:04:16 pm »

To avoid the tags panel size problem, I usually try to edit tags directly in the view. But either my aim has worsened, or MC has gotten more particular about recognizing which view column I want to edit. I think it used to reliably use the column and row under the cursor when I press F2, but recently it's tended to open some other column, sometimes one I didn't last-edit in the view. I've looked for a pattern of what tag it is remembering, and why, but don't yet have a theory.
Slow double click on any field in the view on the right.  That puts you in edit mode.  When finished, use the down arrow to advance to the next.

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:11:58 pm »

Slow double-click works, thanks. Does F2 at the cursor position no-longer work, or did it never and I'm just crazy?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

MusicHawk

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 02:29:33 pm »

There's a difference in behavior with F2 that I've found helpful. When several tracks have been selected, F2 edits the field of the track under the cursor, but it actually updates the same field in all the selected rows. This is a fast way to edit several tracks at once, such as to change Unknown Album and Unknown Artist and a few other fields to the correct values in all the tracks of the just-ripped album, a bit faster than going to the Tags window or the other methods I know of.

Slow-double-click selects and edits only the track being clicked, even faster than F2 when just one track is involved.

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 02:49:17 pm »

IME, F2 opens for edit the last field that was clicked on, not the one currently under the cursor.  But if the field opened is not the one you were wanting, you can use Tab and Shift-Tab to move between the fields; I use that all the time to make bulk updates to selected blocks of tracks.

MusicHawk

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 05:14:53 pm »

IME, F2 isn't quite predictable. Experimenting today in a view, I saw F2 open a field that was NOT last-clicked, but was under the pointer when I pressed F2. This was just after I edited a different field in the view. That's the "current pointer position" behavior I recall happening more consistently. But recently, F2 more often opened the last-clicked field regardless of pointer position. I wonder what the intended behavior is.

(I know about tabbing forward/back between columns, do it all the time. Thanks.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up